Anyone here have a Puma 12V Air Compressor?

KMW-NW

That looks like a good compressor. Another option for a bit less money is the Super Flow MV-90. I've had that one for about two years and used it a bunch and it's great. My only complaint is it has a funky proprietary fitting for the hose. But then I haven't had any problem with it, so it hasn't been an issue yet.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I haven't measured yet. Is there enough room under the hood for the compressor?
I haven't measured yet either. But if it is similar in size to the twin ARB, it should fit, with a custom bracket.

That looks like a good compressor. Another option for a bit less money is the Super Flow MV-90. I've had that one for about two years and used it a bunch and it's great. My only complaint is it has a funky proprietary fitting for the hose. But then I haven't had any problem with it, so it hasn't been an issue yet.

I was looking at the MV90 a while back. Seems like a great "Bang for the buck" alternative. I have an couple of MV50. It was easy to tap the head to 1/4" NPT. Then it fits all the standard stuff.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
The arb works because it is very flat.

I've had s few mv50s. One worked fine. But when I took it apart to clean it, I realized how shotty the wiring was. I'm surprised it didn't die sooner. Also the head cracked when tapping it to 1/4" npt. The other one was missing seals from the factory.

But they are great little compressors if you don't mess with them too much.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Measured under the hood to see where the Puma compressor would fit. Pretty tough due to the size. I would fit under the brake booster, but would sit real close to the catalytic converter, and lower than I'd like.
Think I'd just mount it inside, and put the tank underneath.

On a somewhat side note, here is the MV50 I modded. It's set up with a tank and manifold with a couple of QDs in my other 4x4. Works good for what it is.
Had the whole thing disassembled to fix all the stupidities done at the factory, and prep it for hard mounting.
Other than tapping the head for 1/4" NPT, the next big "bang for the buck" was cutting off the power cables short. Had over 2V drop running through the full length cables & stock clips. Ran easier, and faster, hard mounted.
OBA_Compressor_ready-to-mou.jpg

OBA-Compressor_electrics.jpg

OBA-Compressor_Head.jpg

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Measured under the hood to see where the Puma compressor would fit. Pretty tough due to the size. I would fit under the brake booster, but would sit real close to the catalytic converter, and lower than I'd like.
Think I'd just mount it inside, and put the tank underneath.

On a somewhat side note, here is the MV50 I modded. It's set up with a tank and manifold with a couple of QDs in my other 4x4. Works good for what it is.
Had the whole thing disassembled to fix all the stupidities done at the factory, and prep it for hard mounting.
Other than tapping the head for 1/4" NPT, the next big "bang for the buck" was cutting off the power cables short. Had over 2V drop running through the full length cables & stock clips. Ran easier, and faster, hard mounted.
OBA_Compressor_ready-to-mou.jpg

OBA-Compressor_electrics.jpg

OBA-Compressor_Head.jpg

Well done! Did you enlarge the piston vent things? I have all the parts to do this but broke down the mv50 a few steps too far.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I was going to, but the reed valves are too fragile, so I just did a bit of polishing.

Thinking that under the rear seat *may* be a good place to mount the Puma compressor. It would have to be mounted on it's side though, so not sure what that would do to longevity.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nope I just order mine a while back on eBay. Tired of waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluehash

Adventurer
I'm the OP who started the post. i just went ahead and bought one last year. The ebay seller said that it is not worth a gb, since they don't make much off it+shipping.

In the JK it can fit above the rear footwell with a few braces... but the passenger seat has to be down.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Owned A PUMA since 2007 with over 100 hours of flawless use. Best value in 12V compressors hands down.

Custom compressor mounts for a 80 series Land Cruiser available HERE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater