Anyone here have a Puma 12V Air Compressor?

bluehash

Adventurer
Where would be the ideal place for the JKU?

Similar to the LC... over the wheel well. I eyeballed mine and it seems to fit just below the rear roll bar. You can tap into the hardtop holes. The only downside is that the passenger( or drivers) side seat has to be down.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Similar to the LC... over the wheel well. I eyeballed mine and it seems to fit just below the rear roll bar. You can tap into the hardtop holes. The only downside is that the passenger( or drivers) side seat has to be down.

Ill take a look and PM you on my findings.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Would be advisable to look at a JK with a convertible, as the top bow folds down over this area.
If you build a mount, you might be able to build it with two sets of mounting holes. One that clears the bow, and one that tucks it closer to the side window.
If I remember right, from my measurements, it's a bit over 3" difference, in how far the compressor sits towards the centerline of the Jeep.
Good luck with this. :beer:

bluehash

Adventurer
Would be advisable to look at a JK with a convertible, as the top bow folds down over this area.
If you build a mount, you might be able to build it with two sets of mounting holes. One that clears the bow, and one that tucks it closer to the side window.
If I remember right, from my measurements, it's a bit over 3" difference, in how far the compressor sits towards the centerline of the Jeep.
Good luck with this. :beer:

I forgot about the top down scenario! Although many will have the hard top or the soft top up during camping.. it would be wise to incorporate the top down spacing.

Ill take a look and PM you on my findings.
I can help you with dimensions or a mockup.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I forgot about the top down scenario! Although many will have the hard top or the soft top up during camping.. it would be wise to incorporate the top down spacing.

I can help you with dimensions or a mockup.

It was pure luck, that I didn't screw this up... roflol!
I had planned to buy it during the winter when the hard top was on. I put the soft top on this spring, and saw the bows, and just started laughing at myself.
I have the Springtail Side Racks, and am planning to make a mount plate for just the compressor on the passenger side.
The tank will be a custom one, under the Jeep, where the Evap Canister used to be.
Sometimes procrastination can be beneficial. :elkgrin:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I was about to buy a Dual Viair 400c set up or The Twin ARB, but then I remembered the Puma. I wonder if it'd fit on the brake booster on a JK. Maybe on this mount:
g2-core-44-axles-installed-in-jeep-jk-wrangler-syndegy-arb-jk-bracket.jpg

I don't know how well it'd do with the heat though. Are Puma's sealed like Viairs? I belive Viairs are IP67. So not dust and water proof but pretty resistant.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Muy Grande

It's a really big compressor, comparatively speaking.
It could be mounted (albeit tightly) underneath the brake booster, but would need a good heat shield between it and the Cat.

Here are a couple of pictures in comparison to an MV50. You can see how even the size of the compressor sans the tank dwarfs the MV50. It's like Me and Mini-Me...
Bhwa, ha, ha... Evil (not so) Genius Laugh. :elkgrin:

Definitely puts out some air though. :)

Edit: This compressor is not sealed. It would probably be OK in a light rain, but that's about as far as I'd want to go.

Attachments

• Compressor-side.jpg
    Compressor-side.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Compressor-top.jpg
    Compressor-top.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
It's a really big compressor, comparatively speaking.
It could be mounted (albeit tightly) underneath the brake booster, but would need a good heat shield between it and the Cat.

Here are a couple of pictures in comparison to an MV50. You can see how even the size of the compressor sans the tank dwarfs the MV50. It's like Me and Mini-Me...
Bhwa, ha, ha... Evil (not so) Genius Laugh. :elkgrin:

Definitely puts out some air though. :)

Edit: This compressor is not sealed. It would probably be OK in a light rain, but that's about as far as I'd want to go.

Oh wow. yeah. That's large. It looks like it might fit, and would probably fit on it's side with the head facing the brake fluid reservoir. But idk how long it'd last with engine heat and dust. The Puma not being sealed makes it a challenge to mount. It pretty much has to be under the hood where dust could be an issue, or mounted in the interior which would be annoying for passengers. It might fit below the drivers's seat but would be tight. In the recess of the cargo area would probably be the best bet. But then I'm not sure how you get the airline to a tank mounted elsewhere.

I was planning on mounting dual Viair 400C's inside the front bumper since I already have one and they're sealed well and are faster than the ARB Twin. The plumbing seemed like a pain. But I guess that's better than spending $500 + $100 on the mount for the ARB twin, or having to find somewhere to store the Puma.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
It is pretty quiet though.
When I build the tank under the Jeep, I plan to mount the head and control box on top of the passenger side rack.
Probably this spring when the temperatures come back up to a reasonable working level. lol

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I've been looking at picking up one of the Puma units. I'm thinking to just keep it as a self-contained unit like it comes and make a spot for it in the cargo area of the ZJ with an Anderson connector or similar for power. That way I can move it or take it out if I need the space, and I'm not permanently adding extra weight (and I don't have to find a spot where it'll never be in the way and not be destroyed by road salt, etc.)

Scoutman

Explorer
I bought one but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. My plan is to mount it behind the pass side rear fender on my long bed truck. There's lots of space and I think it'll be fine weather and elements wise although I'll add a mud flap to protect it from what the rear tires sling up. I'll post up more when I get back on that project.

ihmagellan

I'm glad this thread was revived. My LJ had one of these compressors mounted (very poorly) under the hood when I got it in October. It looked heavy duty, but the name tag was illegible and I hadn't been able to find the manufacturer based on the part number. Mine is a compressor only like the one shown in post #16 on http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/puma-mount-install.543169/#post-7194476--only 3 motor tie rods and vertical cooling fins on the cylinder. One of the responses mentions that this is the "extremeaire" head and cylinder. What the significance of that? Is it a good or bad thing?

The compressor was mounted to a crudely fabricated bracket that was poorly welded to the passenger's side inner fender where the stock air cleaner should have been. Vibration had caused the fender to develop spider-web cracks around the welds. It had been wired in with only a power switch. The pressure switch was present but not wired in. The pressure tank was built into the rear bumper and it has quick connect couplings mounted both front & rear.

I've removed the compressor to repair the inner fender and replace the K&N knock-off with a stock air box. I had been contemplating a York compressor setup, but now that I know what this is I'm motivated to reinstall in a better location.

I'd prefer not to take up space in the interior. Given the compressor's size, I don't know that there's another under-hood option. There's plenty of space to tuck it inside the right frame rail, just behind the rear footwell and in front of the rear axle with an combined mounting bracket/skid plate. However, if the motor isn't sealed that location would be too exposed to dirt & water.

Mine's a Rubicon so no ABS, but I think this compressor is too big to fit under the brake booster. Has anyone successfully mounted one of these under the hood of a TJ/LJ with the stock air cleaner intact?

Scoutman

Explorer
I'm glad this thread was revived. My LJ had one of these compressors mounted (very poorly) under the hood when I got it in October. It looked heavy duty, but the name tag was illegible and I hadn't been able to find the manufacturer based on the part number. Mine is a compressor only like the one shown in post #16 on http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/puma-mount-install.543169/#post-7194476--only 3 motor tie rods and vertical cooling fins on the cylinder. One of the responses mentions that this is the "extremeaire" head and cylinder. What the significance of that? Is it a good or bad thing?

The compressor was mounted to a crudely fabricated bracket that was poorly welded to the passenger's side inner fender where the stock air cleaner should have been. Vibration had caused the fender to develop spider-web cracks around the welds. It had been wired in with only a power switch. The pressure switch was present but not wired in. The pressure tank was built into the rear bumper and it has quick connect couplings mounted both front & rear.

I've removed the compressor to repair the inner fender and replace the K&N knock-off with a stock air box. I had been contemplating a York compressor setup, but now that I know what this is I'm motivated to reinstall in a better location.

I'd prefer not to take up space in the interior. Given the compressor's size, I don't know that there's another under-hood option. There's plenty of space to tuck it inside the right frame rail, just behind the rear footwell and in front of the rear axle with an combined mounting bracket/skid plate. However, if the motor isn't sealed that location would be too exposed to dirt & water.

Mine's a Rubicon so no ABS, but I think this compressor is too big to fit under the brake booster. Has anyone successfully mounted one of these under the hood of a TJ/LJ with the stock air cleaner intact?

Since you have it I would figure out a way to mount it in a better spot and run it. I would mount it in the engine bay if you can but would definitely wire in that pressure switch.

ExtermeAire is another compressor mfg
We had an ExtremeAire compressor on a Sportsmobile we rented last summer and I wasn't impressed. Looking at the stats now of it vs the Puma, I understand why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater