Anyone know of a suburban camper build?

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
I was wondering, I'm trading my '85 crew cab for an '89 Suburban and was wonding if anyone has ever done a build of a suburban and put either a pop up top or a cab over top like a camper van on it? I think this would be an awesome set up.

Last edited:

dieselburb

I was wondering, I'm trading my '85 crew cab for an '89 Suburban and was wonding if anyone has ever done a build of a suburban and put either a pop up top or a cab over top like a camper van on it? I think this would be an awesome set up.

I was thinking of getting a full size flip pac, cut the top for pass thru dress it up and waterproof it and roll.

Patman

Explorer
I haven't seen it done, but have searched a little with no luck. I've been contemplating doing something similar to my 60.

Although cutting up a flipac vs. Building it from scratch is a tough choice.

I don't know your reason for the crew to 'burb swap, but have you thought about bobbing the crew longbed down to shortbed length and just slapping on a flipac with a pass through? Less fab, a little more space. A little longer wheelbase but still managable.

West Coast Mags

Adventurer
Plenty of used 80's and early 90's sportsmobiles for sale, I see them pop up here and on ebay occasionally for $3k - $8k. Just buy one of them and use the months you would have spent on fab time, to be out camping and enjoying it.

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
See, I already have an '01 Yukon XL 2500 with a lifter 17' camper trailer so we do plenty of camping (almost every weekend I'm off). I just think it would be fun to build something a little unique for getting really backwoods when my kids are a little older. Anyone ever think of grafting a blazer rear and removable top onto a suburban and using an old FWC on it, that might be kinda cool. Saw it done once but having trouble finding the site, I'll post the pics if I find it.

Found one, here's a link:
http://rides.fourwheeler.com/ride/1017635/biggdaddyjay/1986/chevrolet/suburban/photos/3.html

Last edited:

rynosurf

Adventurer
I've seen an older Burban with a Westfalia bubble top on it in San Diego. It looks like it fit pretty good and makes it kind of look like a van. Someone here asked me to take some photos of it but it has been covered up for some time and I hate to bother the owner.

dieselburb

See, I already have an '01 Yukon XL 2500 with a lifter 17' camper trailer so we do plenty of camping (almost every weekend I'm off). I just think it would be fun to build something a little unique for getting really backwoods when my kids are a little older. Anyone ever think of grafting a blazer rear and removable top onto a suburban and using an old FWC on it, that might be kinda cool. Saw it done once but having trouble finding the site, I'll post the pics if I find it.

Found one, here's a link:
http://rides.fourwheeler.com/ride/1017635/biggdaddyjay/1986/chevrolet/suburban/photos/3.html

Build thread
http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240799

dbreid

Adventurer
I've seen an older Burban with a Westfalia bubble top on it in San Diego. It looks like it fit pretty good and makes it kind of look like a van. Someone here asked me to take some photos of it but it has been covered up for some time and I hate to bother the owner.

They actually made a "higher" roof on the 73-91 generation. Fiberglas deal which didn't "pop" but was taller inside. It was likely an aftermarket "custom" like CHoo-Choo or one of those, and I have seen a few, but none were in very nice shape.

Patman

Explorer
I've also seen a few of these, but the never made much sense to me. Very small height increase (6" or so) and a very conversion van style interior.

Have you checked out www.custom-campers.de some really great ideas and some fairly easily copyable if you have some fab skills.

They actually made a "higher" roof on the 73-91 generation. Fiberglas deal which didn't "pop" but was taller inside. It was likely an aftermarket "custom" like CHoo-Choo or one of those, and I have seen a few, but none were in very nice shape.

Be Patient

I have a very secret project going on as we speak that may be along the lines of something that you might be looking for...:Wow1: It is to early as of yet to show any real pictures of because I am still working on making the thing run really well but stay tuned when I start to make progress I will start a build thread.
one that you can only access if you have a security clearance HA HA HA:elkgrin:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
"Grim Reaper" here has posted several times of wanting to put the camper portion of a K5 Chalet on the rear of a Sub. I think that he now has a Sub, but I don't think that he has yet acquired the Chalet.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
"Grim Reaper" here has posted several times of wanting to put the camper portion of a K5 Chalet on the rear of a Sub. I think that he now has a Sub, but I don't think that he has yet acquired the Chalet.
Been a while since I talked to him, but last I heard, he never did get a Chalet shell. There was one briefly for sale in Fargo ND, but then the seller refused to answer any calls or emails I and several other guys made. Never heard from him since or heard of any sightings of it.

I also did a Photoshop alteration of a 'burb in one of the CK5 build threads. Theoretically speaking, grafting on a removable Blazer shell also creates the option of plopping on a Blazer-specific 4Wheel camper.

burbchalet.jpg
burb4wheel.jpg

gloriavoxdei

Adventurer
That would be exactly the thing 77blazerchalet. The FWC on a suburban would give you a small motorhome kinda feel with seating for up to 6. That might be the ticket right there. Blazer bodies are cheap out here too so it would be nothing to get one for a donor (probalby a rust bucket, I can't get myself to cut a nice one up).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3