Anyone know of a suburban camper build?

speedtre

Explorer
I was wondering, I'm trading my '85 crew cab for an '89 Suburban and was wonding if anyone has ever done a build of a suburban and put either a pop up top or a cab over top like a camper van on it? I think this would be an awesome set up.

I would love to see a pop-top on a Suburban. That seems like it would be the ultimate off-road camper for a family....:D

ballencd

Has anyone done something like this with a Suburban? I've got a 1988 V10 that I am thinking of trying this with. Move the grill back to the windshield, move the body forward to the front of the chassis and crop all I can off the back of the chassis and section it between the wheels to fit under the shorter body......maybe have to move the wheel wells in the back further aft....?? Then move the engine back behind the front seats. 4x4 van, mid engine....perfect for camping and probably pretty stable on the road. I'm thinking about a length between a Suburban and a Blazer. The doors would have to be modified some and the master cylinder for the brakes might be tricky because of the lack of room in front and the cowl might be the hardest but otherwise I think it can be done. What do you think?

image3.jpg

Buckshot62

Observer
48277846_10205482116489965_8740452489687465984_n.jpg
This one is for sale in Sheridan Wy.

Reactions: DGP

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Has anyone done something like this with a Suburban? I've got a 1988 V10 that I am thinking of trying this with. Move the grill back to the windshield, move the body forward to the front of the chassis and crop all I can off the back of the chassis and section it between the wheels to fit under the shorter body......maybe have to move the wheel wells in the back further aft....?? Then move the engine back behind the front seats. 4x4 van, mid engine....perfect for camping and probably pretty stable on the road. I'm thinking about a length between a Suburban and a Blazer. The doors would have to be modified some and the master cylinder for the brakes might be tricky because of the lack of room in front and the cowl might be the hardest but otherwise I think it can be done. What do you think?

View attachment 490856
I think a 4wd G-van is as close as one is going to get to that description. Way less stuff to do than all the body mods needed to do what is in the pic. Plus it's a lot better looking.

Deshet

Adventurer
This is the best looking suburban that I have seen. I had to save every picture when I saw the craigslist ad a few months ago.

It has a Ford falcon top molded to it...I have a 1988 Ford Falcon, I would love to find a similar diesel suburban

Attachments

• 00a0a_b7t4GtAOUcG_1200x900.jpg
    00a0a_b7t4GtAOUcG_1200x900.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 01616_9TJ5TwHstBv_1200x900.jpg
    01616_9TJ5TwHstBv_1200x900.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 00w0w_gjYISbUu3yJ_1200x900.jpg
    00w0w_gjYISbUu3yJ_1200x900.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 00u0u_hSEzrwBIPbB_1200x900.jpg
    00u0u_hSEzrwBIPbB_1200x900.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 00k0k_4ACiFr7jJGu_1200x900.jpg
    00k0k_4ACiFr7jJGu_1200x900.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 00s0s_cdtea7shr6u_600x450.jpg
    00s0s_cdtea7shr6u_600x450.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

ballencd

I like the suburban with the extended top and the falcon top addition but I was looking for a suburban to a van conversion. Something with a shorter turning radius then a suburban and more stable ride then the blazer. I drove a 1988 M1009 for 18 years and it is too short and the suburban is too long for my needs. The van conversion would lengthen the blazer wheel base by 10-12 inches and end up being several feet shorter then the suburban (tighter turning radius). I'm thinking a 3.9 cummins, NV3550 or NV4500 coupled to a NP205. The suburban body would only have to be modified at the cowl which I think would be fairly easy and most likely the front and rear wheel wells which would be hard. A new engine cover would need to be installed if I went with a mid engine setup. A nice pair of bumpers, roof rack and a completed vehicle much like a heavy duty VW synchro at half the cost.

Deshet

Adventurer
If you actually have the skills to do all of that then think about buying a van and convert it to 4x4.
I don't think your project will be as cheap as you think that it will be.
Everyone likes something but I don't think you could recoup your costs with a chopped up suburban. It almost looks like you want a 4x4 Vandura. They are rare but I have seen them for less than the cummins swap will cost.

Have you have driven a 4bt? You would not want to be that close to the engine regardless of how nice the vehicle is.

I am not an expert by any means but I don't think that you will gain much more capability based on your wheelbase modifications, it will still be the same width. Some would argue that a wheelbase too short creates its own problems. (Jeep TJ vs XJ/MJ)

Guys around here are taking surplus Military Hummers on the Jeep trails and they rarely have problems.

The cult following of the VW synchro has very little to do with it being extremely capable or reliable. An Awd Savanna or Express is more capable and more reliable. The Astro, Express, or Savanna can be made much better than average Synchro for less than $2000. A Toyota Previa can do most of what a stock Synchro can do.

Attachments

• ugly van.jpg
    ugly van.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

ballencd

OK, I guess I should have stated some desires and priorities before I started. 1) I want to build/modify a vehicle not buy a completed one. I like the vans because of their shorter wheelbase and turning radius. The VW synchro vans are perfect for what I want but are going for $15,000 to $50,000. I know it will cost some money to build what I am thinking about but I already own the 1988 V10 Chevrolet Suburban. It is in fairly good shape with only two small rust holes in the rear drivers side quarter panel behind the wheel....the chassis is pristine as is most of the rest of the body. It has 6 lug, 10 bolt axles which are plenty strong enough for the kind of driving I will do with it....which is mostly daily around town and camping on long trips (which is a goal for retirement) and capable of going off road without issues. I will not be doing rock climbing, hill climbing or mudding with it. The front axle has just been rebuilt with new bearings, hubs and brakes. The engine (5.7 TBI) only has about 150K on it but it has low oil pressure....about 20#....and is probably on its last legs. Although I drive it a lot around town I would not take it on a long trip. 2) I want a diesel engine and a manual transmission. Not too many vans out there with an manual transmission or a diesel for that matter. Looking at the 80's and 90's vans....a) I would have to purchase (additional cost), then most likely rebuild the engine/transmission/transfer case or swap (so same cost there). I like the old vans of the 60's way way better then the 70's-80's or 90's. The newer ones have too much hood and I prefer the flat front look. 3) I'm liking the idea that this will be shorter in height then a van. 4) I have in the past built a VW based dune buggy that I drove for 4 years as my daily driver and converted a 10 wheel drive M35 surplus military truck to a 6 wheel drive dump truck which I have owned and used since 1998 so I have some experience working on vehicles but I am no where near an expert. I also built my house from the ground up contracting only the cement, insulation and sheetrock work and did everything else myself ( framing, siding, roofing, electrical, heat pumps, plumbing, septic system, painting, trim...etc.) so I am capable of figuring out things.

I kinda want a project that is different, not above my pay grade, not too expensive....in flat front van form with a diesel engine and manual transmission and a 4x4 and wanted to know if anyone else had ever done something like this. I'm attracted to the Brubaker VW van conversion of the 70's and unimogs and this is what I think I want to try. I may scrape the idea totally after I start but I would like to try it. I first thought i would build my own body but it seems like the suburban would be a good starting point and I would not have to engineer everything.

So has anybody done this before or anything like it?

I've inserted a few vans that I like.

Attachments

• Cherokee Van.jpg
    Cherokee Van.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 12
  • defender tourist van.jpg
    defender tourist van.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 13
  • off-road-camper.jpg
    off-road-camper.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 9

ballencd

I like the way they put the factory taillights on the back of the camper. It's a little long for a steep driveway but kinda cool looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3