Anyone try one of these before? Rhino-Rack Foxwing Car Awning 31101

fast_suv

Adventurer
Any one use this before? 125.00 seems cheap

4781_1_lg.jpg

http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Truck-Tents/Rhino-Rack-Foxwing-Car-Awning/_Item/_478100004?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Truck-Tents&utm_campaign=GoogleProducts&utm_term=Rhino-Rack-Foxwing-Car-Awning&gclid=CPfuzOK12b8CFWoR7AodHSsASA

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
If you look closely that price is for the optional extension panel only, and not the full vehicle awning. They definitely need to make that more obvious on that website.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Yep. $584.10 for the awning itself. Terribly confusing, intentionally or not.

Still a cool unit. I'm very pleased with mine.

enzo

Explorer
I just bought one from Amazon a few weeks ago. The bolts that slide into the channel on the back of the awning needed to be ground down to fit. The first time I'm opened the awning I tore a small place in one of the seams. Amazon sent me a replacement but it was damaged so bad during shipping that I couldn't use it. Amazon then sent me another the next day (I basically had 3 Foxwing awnings at one time). All of the awnings that were shipped to me had gashes in the boxes. Overall these are good awnings with lots of coverage.

ripperj

Explorer
I have been eyeing one up for my alaskan, but I wanted to know from a user how big of a gap there is between the side of a vehicle?? Ie how much rain would get in between??
thanks

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
That's a lot of guy lines... :D
You don't need most of them if the wind isn't blowing hard. Heck, if you can convince yourself that the wind isn't going to blow, you don't need any of them. (You might not, however, want to then fall asleep, drive off, go fishing, or otherwise stop attending. ;) )

enzo

Explorer
It just depends on how it's mounted. Mine is mounted on my bajarack and there isin't much overhang so there shouldn't be much rain coming down in between.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I have been eyeing one up for my alaskan, but I wanted to know from a user how big of a gap there is between the side of a vehicle?? Ie how much rain would get in between??
There's no gap between the opening side of the case and the awning fabric, so no water gets in on the business side.

Whether water gets into a gap between the back edge of the case and your truck/camper is entirely a matter of the mounting. My Foxwing case is mounted solid and flush against the thick side wall of the camper, so rain water can't get through. But if you mount it any other way, you're likely to have a gap and some rain will still flow down the side of the truck. That said, whatever water hits the Foxwing goes away from the truck, so the awning doesn't add any more water.

The Foxwing is outstanding in the right circumstances. The three cautions are that it takes two people to deploy in a wind, you need quite a bit of open space around the truck to extend it, and you need to figure out a good mounting system before committing to it. If you can get past these issues, it's great.

cwadej

just a guy
This has been on my build list for about 3 months. I'll be mounting it on top of my trailer mounted Grand Tour.

dwdart

Foxwing awning

I have been looking at this awning for several weeks now. I like how it looks and the amount of area it covers. My real concern is wind.
I wonder just how much wind it can handle even when it's set up correctly. :sombrero:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I had occasion to open the Foxwing in the driveway today to lube the zipper, so I was able to get a photo of what it looks like with no poles or guy lines. (As ever, click on it to make it big enough to see what's going on.)

P1020120.jpg

This isn't an approved technique, but in a dead calm, it's useful for quick stops. At 5'10", I can just walk under the structure without hitting anything.

ripperj

Explorer
That's a pretty impressive shadow considering the sun was not straight up. Thanks for the info and pics.
I need to do some measuring. I really need the awning case above the rear door on my alaskan, so I can get in and out dry in the rain.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal