Apertura Expeditions Build- 2010 Toyota 4runner Trail

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
If you don't mind me asking, what OME springs did you go with? My 4runner is stock now but I plan to add a front bumper w/ winch and a drawer system in the back (possibly a rtt in the future). Based on your setup are you happy with the springs you chose or do you wish you had gone heavier duty or lighter duty? I'd like to buy springs once but I don't want to commit to the heavier duty springs with no added weight and it ride terribly. Anyone, please feel free to comment.

Thanks!

Great question and its one I contemplate often. I have the heavy duty OME on the front and rear. The front with the constant weight of the bull bar, winch, batteries etc... Works great and wouldn't change it. I have the stock factory UCAs and haven't had an issue (85,000 miles + on them)The rear however is a little tricky. When fully loaded its like a hot knife through butter and the ride is very smooth. However... I'm only ever fully loaded on trips which is not every day. So based on my use I would change the rear springs and struts to a medium duty and keep everything else the same. That would be purely down to ride comfort and better traction. Otherwise you can't go wrong with OME... Thrilled with the quality and wouldn't dream of changing it for any other setup all money aside.

Narkhelek

Great question and its one I contemplate often. I have the heavy duty OME on the front and rear. The front with the constant weight of the bull bar, winch, batteries etc... Works great and wouldn't change it. I have the stock factory UCAs and haven't had an issue (85,000 miles + on them)The rear however is a little tricky. When fully loaded its like a hot knife through butter and the ride is very smooth. However... I'm only ever fully loaded on trips which is not every day. So based on my use I would change the rear springs and struts to a medium duty and keep everything else the same. That would be purely down to ride comfort and better traction. Otherwise you can't go wrong with OME... Thrilled with the quality and wouldn't dream of changing it for any other setup all money aside.

Did you go with the 60081 rear shocks? I just ordered the heavy (2898) rear springs and the medium (60080) rear shocks. Many people have reported that the heavy springs and shocks are too stiff unless your vehicle is really loaded down. I figured I'd try the heavy springs based on the weight I'll be carrying but the less dampened rear shock.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Just ordered the Ollie Stealth rack from Gobi yesterday. I'm excited to get it and I hope it makes a little more room inside the car. I'm a little concerned with having full mesh on top of the rack but went with it anyway. Does anyone think the mesh would interfere with mounting accessories up top or hindering tie down points. I plan to run Fourtreks awning mounts but hop they clear the expanded metal that's tacked to the side rail.

Apertura Ex, are you out there? Can you show us how you mounted accessories?

Thanks!

Shifting directions....

Still around... but starting a new business which sadly has nothing to do with "overlanding" stuff. So time and energy elsewhere right now. I will still answer any questions anybody has and update pictures like these:

I also have slowly, VERY slowly started to piece together a video celebrating 100,000 miles of adventure done so far in the truck. So that'll be my next update.

Attachments

• 5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-1-2.jpg
    5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-1-2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-2-2.jpg
    5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-2-2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-3.jpg
    5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-3.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-4.jpg
    5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-4.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-5.jpg
    5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-5.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-6.jpg
    5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-6.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-7.jpg
    5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-7.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-8.jpg
    5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-8.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-9.jpg
    5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-9.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 54
  • 5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-11.jpg
    5th_Gen_Colorado_2013-11.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 67

soonenough

Explorer
Really cool photos as always. The one taken from inside the tent with the amazing backdrop - where was that taken?

Also, I looked back through the thread and didn't see anything about your drawer setup. Do you have any details on it? Looks nice.

WarnerD9

Builder
I diggin the thread. I've seen some of your photos. Sub'd hit me up if you come through Utah. I went from a Landy to the 4Tunner as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism