Are lockers overkill in a large F550 camper? Dana 135 locker? Front True Trac?

S2DM

Adventurer
I've got an f550 based camper. Crew Cab, 60" CA, weighs 15k wet. Factory Limited slip in the rear. We have a high articulation coil spring rear suspension conversion, and are running big kings with hydraulic bumpstops in all four corners. This is how she looks with the top up.

Overall we are similar sized to an earthroamer, but a few k lighter. We aren't wheelers at all, but we do really like to get out to remote beaches to surf and Heather always wants to go down the small road to get away from other campers.

Should we consider lockers, or adding a limited slip to the front? I've been told we can't add lockers to the Dana 135 in the rear, but haven't researched it thoroughly. We also make trips to Alaska and in the snow, so I worry about the Detroit back there anyways, which I believe would be the only option if any. I'm guessing the factory limited slip back there is only marginally better than an open diff?

Suggestions?

evilfij

Explorer
Limited slip is better than open by a good margin. Probably all you need unless you are lifting tires (which seems doubtful).

quickfarms

Adventurer
I would consider a limited slip in the front.

My jeep only has power locks front and rear and it is a mountain goat.

My FT900 runs dual detroits, and an air locked power divider in at rear and the front is factory MH

My F800 is air locked in the rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

adventr

Adventurer
I wouldn't consider lockers overkill, especially if they're selectable. I probably use mine more than I really have to. I prefer to go ahead and lock the diffs and crawl an obstacle rather than spin tires or build momentum. Seems to provide a much more controlled environment and is gentler on the camper.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I wouldn't consider lockers overkill, especially if they're selectable. I probably use mine more than I really have to. I prefer to go ahead and lock the diffs and crawl an obstacle rather than spin tires or build momentum. Seems to provide a much more controlled environment and is gentler on the camper.

I agree with this. When you have open diffs on both ends, you only have two wheel drive. In the sand and snow you are especially vulnerable. Limited slip and lockers are invaluable. You can get through sticky situations with no drama.

Betarocker

Adventurer
Selectable locker in the front is much more predictable in snow and ice than an automatic locker like the Trutrac. Drives better and quieter too. ARB or Yukon Zip air lockers will require an air source, which can complicate things. Eaton E-Locker is an option which does not require on board air.

You have the only option for the rear end.

p nut

butter
If you've got money to burn. Why not? But personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle or cost. Plenty have traveled to AK and around the world in 2wd rigs. I'd maybe throw some tire chains in the back and head off. Looks like a super nice truck you've got.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Weight like yours. I think it changes the game some. Lockers are amazing but a really heavy rig like this I would be pretty worried about the level of stress placed on running gear with no easy give point.

A rig that heavy doesnt spin tires easily without some risk to breaking costly running gear. Super cool truck!!

How do the power line trucks hold up?
Thats like closest type of rig I can think of that probably sees similar weight and rough terrain..

adventr

Adventurer
Weight like yours. I think it changes the game some. Lockers are amazing but a really heavy rig like this I would be pretty worried about the level of stress placed on running gear with no easy give point.

A rig that heavy doesnt spin tires easily without some risk to breaking costly running gear. Super cool truck!!

How do the power line trucks hold up?
Thats like closest type of rig I can think of that probably sees similar weight and rough terrain..

F550 is built pretty overkill. D135 rear end and a super 60 (really a 70) front axle. As long as he doesn't go crazy, shouldn't have any issues even with the 42" tires he's running. Most 550s come with 4.88 gearing stock.

It appears your Eaton/Detroit diff options are E-Locker for the front depending on which Dana 70 you have and a Detroit Locker for the rear if it is a Dana S135. I would suggest contacting Eaton and determine what the correct diffs are for your truck. I do not have an updated app guide as mine only goes up to 2011.

Betarocker

Adventurer
Most 550s come with 4.88 gearing stock.

My concern would be the the small pinion gear. Certainly that gearing is required for the tire size and vehicle weight, but care needs to be taken to not shock the driveline. The pinion is going to be a weak link (front and rear). Locking the diff will increase the risk.

S2DM

Adventurer
It appears your Eaton/Detroit diff options are E-Locker for the front depending on which Dana 70 you have and a Detroit Locker for the rear if it is a Dana S135. I would suggest contacting Eaton and determine what the correct diffs are for your truck. I do not have an updated app guide as mine only goes up to 2011.

I called Eaton and they said there isnt a detroit or any other rear locker option for my truck. Just differentials said I could change the diff case and get a detroit in, but it was a pretty big project.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
With such a heavy rig, personally I feel like any sort of locker would simply be money down the tubes.

I dont see the need, unless (as somebody has mentioned) you are lifting a wheel during your off road excursions.

Only then would you see the benefit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman