Are lockers overkill in a large F550 camper? Dana 135 locker? Front True Trac?

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'll echo that the Detroit Softlocker or Yukon Locker are completely different beasts in big heavy trucks with auto trans. They're an excellent choice. A Detroit Locker rear and a Trutrac front would be perfect for that rig. You'd be able to back out of that stuck situation in sand with little issue. Even just the Locker in the rear would be fine.

If you hate driving in snow, Truetracs front and rear are a decent option. But if snow is a fun adventure, then a Detroit in the rear is a great option. I think a Detroit locker is available for that axle, but I doubt the Truetrack is available for the rear. The front Super 60 is GTG with a Truetrac, Detroit Locker, ARB, even Ox, IIRC.

If you choose a Detroit locker for the front axle, just be careful around turns. I switch to 2wd for sharp turns all the time, only using 4wd if I'm desperate. You can always unlock a hub and go through in 3wd.

Yes a Warn 15-16.5 would be perfect for that truck. You may need to add a small spacer to your front springs to get some ride ht back. It's a heavy winch. Many trucks as big as yours, and far heavier (tools and pipe, not camping stuff) just use Warn Xd9000i's. If you need more force than 9000 pounds of pulling, then you better get out the shovel. Most of us fullsize guys are talking about a 30 second pull where the truck isn't even stitting on the ground, just stuck on slick stuff only rim deep. Easy winching. We ain't talkng about 10 minutes of winching up a rocky hill or anything. Never skip a little shovel or max tracks action, just cause you have a big winch.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman