Are the AT trailers worth it?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Ahhh I find myself asking this question again and again. I'm crunching the numbers and it might be feasible but who knows. Might be having a new addition in the family and will need more room in the Runner. I've built the trailer via micro excel and it came to $7419. Not sure how much it will be if I finance it through state farm. So from the guys that have the AT's what do you think, looking back was it worth a few less drive through coffee's and dinner's out?

Aaron

Steve Curren

Explorer
All I can say is that it is well worth it. I have been camping for years, everything from sleeping on the ground to a cot with an air mattress. I have found that with the Chaser I have it is not only a great place to sleep but also it has plenty of storage. I would not give up my Chaser for anything, the people at AT are top notch as I am sure you have read. I dealt with Mario when I bought mine and he was and still is eager to please and as honest as I have ever seen. I could go on and on about the company and it's fine products and service but I will stop because I know others will most certainly have as much and more to say..
Enjoy your experience with AT.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Ditto Steve Curren's reply. Super heavy duty; the new suspension is incredible; very well crafted. Everything exudes heavy-duty-ness from the gauge of steel, HD SS hinges and hardware, thick powder coat paint, etc.

I've had mine 2-years exactly. I have well over 20K on my Horizon and LOTS of tough off-road miles too. I was caught in the same dilemma as you: I was going to build my own. But then since I work full-time I figured it'd realistically take me 1.5-2 years to build it. I would have missed all those incredible excursions #1; wouldn't have really saved that much $ #2; and #3 it would not have been in the class of either the Chaser or Horizon. And I have to believe an Adventure Trailers trailer would retain more resale value potential than any homebrew I would have built.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Yeah Were thinking along the same lines. I have a RTT and I'll transfer it to the trailer. I was thinking with the wife possibly pregnant the lower height of the RTT on the AT that it would be a good thing. I wanted to build a custom but gosh, who has the darn time. I was trying to build the AT as a basic package and just add to it.

Aaron

TheMike

Adventurer
Absolutely, without a doubt!! In functionality, durability, craftsmanship, and customer service (before, during, and after the sale), there is no comparison. In the arena of off-road use and the expedition market, you get what you pay for. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time. If you cut costs now you will only make up for it later.

Mike

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
Yes, it is worth it. I've used mine for 20 days camping last year and a friend used it for 14 days this year.

My friend took his family of five and had a great time. Everyone fit in the RTT.

For a turn key solution, so to speak, I don't think they can be beat by any trailer manufacturer in the USA.

Cheers,
Tate

Well worth it!!

I got the Blue Chaser in Feb this year, have put about 1500+ miles on it- everything from rough dirt roads to to tight, brushy, twisty trails that gave me about 2" clearance on both sides- handled everything like a champ.

Scott Brady told me when I was looking at his that I would forget it was back there. I thought he meant on the paved roads- NOT!! I was amazed that on the last trip- brushy/twisty/damp clay subsurface on a fairly vertical down slope that I had only set up to clear the back tires on the 98 Disco and had not planned for the trailer?!? No sweat- the trailer tracks within a 1/4" of the rear tires, cleared with no problem, never felt it behind me except as a 3rd "hit" going over bumps/dips.

The only problems I have had was a dust leak on the nose box- new weatherstrip sent by Mario, and a couple of small leaks in the box- fixed with some additional seam sealer.

Lots of dollars- but what is gained is confidence in going anywhere at anytime and knowing that you'll be safe and comfortable. The peace of mind/relaxation is PRICELESS!

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Well worth it. :iagree:
Earlier this week I pulled into camp with black thunderclouds looming, a few drops of rain.
I had the RTT open in less than a minute, threw some things in to read and while away some time.
A few minutes later it starts pouring! More than an inch of rain.
Let's see you set up a high and dry ground tent like that! Ha! :shakin:
Nope, my ground tent days are mostly over....
I love my AT w/RTT. (see link in sig line)

safari.gif

mrchips

Adventurer
Bought my AT Chaser in Nov 07, and have had it out 10 times as of now, mountains, desert, dunes and going to Mexico for a week next month. Love my Chaser, tent, and everything about it. Great quality, and great people that stand behind their product. Well worth the purchase, now that gas prices are higher, friends are leaving there RV;s at home and going back to ground tents, I am high and dry in my Chaser.Here are a few pics from a run I did.
http://picasaweb.google.com/christaoetjen/MillerJune2008:

Scott Brady

Founder
Value is always a tricky thing to define.

For me, I wanted the highest quality trailer available for my Arctic trip, and only the AT would meet my needs for performance and weight. So, the AT was a great value in my case, as it saved me a bunch of time, and turned out better than I could have assembled myself.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Value is exceptionally tricky to define. I'm no stranger to RTT's as you can see here.
PC234612.jpg

PC234609.jpg

P6072499.jpg

P6072492.jpg

PB224419.jpg

Image058.jpg

P6046022.jpg

P6046015.jpg

I guess I can just transfer the tent and awning (somehow) over to the AT. I will be running into a space issue soon 9-14 months and will need to stow the Engel 45 and cargo somewhere. So I'm thinking the wife might get a surprise (other than a baby). Keep in mind the dog and baby will take up the interior of passenger and cargo area. Hmm I'm steering toward yes.

Aaron

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Hmm I'm using a bit or forward thinking. Given my income is now 1/3 what it was 11 months ago no trailer for now. But In the future I was considering newer RTT's for the trailer. Can the Maggolina be fitted (I imagine yes). Also I imagine a large RTT be used Like the Hannibal 1.6 or the Eezi Awn 2200. I dont feel the familyone is worth the coast but thats just me.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner