Are the AT trailers worth it?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
BigAl said:
I think I would have to consistently do 30 plus nights a year before I could justify the expense and limitations of an AT.
Well I could surely use it when I visit my parents, theres never any room there. I could use it when I work I usually have to sleep in a hammock while at work for 3-4 days a week. I have over 90 nights in the hammock sooo. Naw don't ask me I can justify anything.

Aaron

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
BigAl said:
I think I would have to consistently do 30 plus nights a year before I could justify the expense and limitations of an AT.

I get out at least 30+ nights a year and have really enjoyed the upgrade to the trailer over my previous setup. Quicker to setup; quicker to break down. This makes staying in a different spot each day easier. This is the type of travel I like. I constantly want to see new sites; so, in this respect, it really helps.

Al, we need to work it out where you can get out at least that much.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I'm looking as the mpg benefits right off the bat. Lets see I drive btwn 30-50k a year so probably with the RTT 10k regular fuel economy is 17.5-18mpg with and RTT its 15-16 ($2580 @ 15.5mpg) vs ($2285 @ 17.5 mpg) while not stellar the trailer is far ore convenient and I'd be more likely to tow it. As I stated before I can use it for work. Given the dimensions of the trailer and the tuckability of no draft or little to speak off behind the tow vehicle.

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
tdesanto said:
I get out at least 30+ nights a year and have really enjoyed the upgrade to the trailer over my previous setup. Quicker to setup; quicker to break down. This makes staying in a different spot each day easier. This is the type of travel I like. I constantly want to see new sites; so, in this respect, it really helps.

Al, we need to work it out where you can get out at least that much.

On average that 2.5 night per month sound doable, of course there isn't much camping here in FL in the summer, I mean you can but why? I think I'd rrather be in the desert where at least it's cool at night.

Aaron

Honu

lost on the mainland
I guess for me the idea of no RTT and a trailer setup

is easy to pack and go I did not want a RTT on all the time and did not want to put it on every time I wanted to go somewhere

the trailer can stay pretty much packed except for food and season items and go !!!!

as far as are the AT worth it ? I would say any trailer is worth it

is the AT guys trailer in specific worth the extra ?
think if you ever want to sell the thing !!!! I bet the resale value is going to be much better in the long run over a generic or non unique specific model
one reason I was happy with my conqueror purchase a time proven design from south africa and I bet resale will be much easier and better on this than a home built

Steve Curren

Explorer
Upon careful consideration I now believe that the AT trailers are so very bad that I am offering $50 for each one. Please deliver them to me and I will have the cash ready for you.:sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero: :sombrero:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Ok well this will be a reality soon enough, contracts pending of course. Had a few questions on the RTT's that are supplied (figure I'll get a newer bigger unit while I'm at it). How big is the family sized unit (I can read the dimensions) just wanted some real life user feedback. I might be getting another dog and perhaps a baby person. But again contracts pending.....jk Are there other sources the tents could come from which would promote a more cost effective approach? Thinking about the logistics it might be easier to have AT install it and ship it ready to go.

Aaron

Don't know if it's worth it, but it's definitely expensive. I just put a deposit on a Chaser for delivery in early December.

It'll have everything on it that I could possibly need in a trailer, including nose box w/dual batts, inverter & charger; 2 gas cans; water tank; RTT w/awning & changing room; Engle fridge; electric brakes; and rear hatch. May still add a few more things before delivery.

Will let you know if I think it's worth it or not after I get a chance to actually use it. ;)

campinglab

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Aaron,

Regarding the size of the tent, i had a howling moon 1600 on my Horizon. It worked pretty good for my wife our 2 small kids and me. Now we are getting Myway www.maywaytents.co.za tents from South Africa so i'm switching to a Myway 2000.

Are you still in Miramar or did you move to Jupiter? in any case it should be fairly easy for us to meet so that you can take a look at the setup, tent size, etc...

Fernando

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
In Jupiter as of August this year. I saw something about the campinglab stuff in Overland Journal, and how the new tent material will be tent material instead of heavy canvas. I have a 4 season Moss tent (now MSR) and it has never let me down. Lighter is better but if it's on a trailer does it really matter? I would like to see the size setup and get an idea how much bigger thanmy Hannibal 1.2M which measures 48X96.

Aaron

campinglab

well the tents are not really nylon fabric such as some light ground tents, they are made out of ripstop canvas, the fly sheet is made of oxford nylon in an effort to keep the weight down. The Myway tents are, in fact, pretty light for a RTT, they weight only slightly more than the Campinglab tents which have aluminum bases as opposed to plywood.

The new tent should be here next week so we'll keep in touch.

Worst case I will be driving north Nov.1st, won't be taking the trailer but will have either a 1600 or 2000 Myway tent on the roof...

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Oh well that changes things (slightly). How do the AL floored tents hold up? Good or better than the plywood? And where are you heading Nov. 1st, supposedly there is a Land Rover event near Tellico (Murphy, NC) the 1st - 5th if I remember correctly. Still not sure if I'm going.

Aaron

campinglab

well on nov. 1st am heading towards Vegas for SEMA and then Pismo beach for Surf N Turf :D

The 60 we'll be driving stays on the west coast so i won't be taking the trailer.

The Campinglab tents hold their own, not the same as the Myway though.

The Myway tents are made in a small factory in South Africa operated by it's owner, the Campinglab are mass produced in China.

The difference in materials and craftsmanship is obvious. Of course the large 71"X94" Campinglab goes for $1,150 while the 63"X94" Myway is $1,850.

In any case I really think you do get what you pay for, plus we back both products with a one year warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner