Arizona Traverse - Solo on a dual sport

sandalscout

Adventurer
I've been following along from the beginning, awesome report, helps install some drive into a relative newbie rider like myself also! Thanks

I'm somewhat familiar with harness racing, but had never heard of combined driving. WILD! Seems sort of like rally, autocross, and car show all in one, except it's for horses! Found this for anyone else interested in it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_driving

A

agavelvr

gotta meeting tomorrow am, so here's the next installment...

Day Eight Mayer to Jerome – Sooner or Later (as covered by Major Lingo)
Two dozen other dirty lovers
Must be a sucker for it
Cry cry but I don't need my mother
Just hold my hand while I come to a decision on it.

When I wake up, I know that I must not be lured by all the comfort and comradery my hosts have to offer. My knee and hip have benefited greatly from the restful days that have passed. This is suppose to be a trail ride and not a write up about the culinary delights I have enjoyed : ) With rider, bike, and gear in top condition once more, I say adios to my amigos and motor back to Mayer.

DSCF0679Small-1.jpg

Hungry, I grab a bite in Humbolt and take a tour of my old stomping grounds. When I was a kid, my best friend and I used to play around the large smelter just south of main street. I return to find the smelter is now a superfund site, complete with a large fence and numerous warnings about toxicity. Funny, Bruno and I used to quarry slag from the site and make clocks out of it to sell at the swap meet when our primary means of travel were bikes and skateboards.

DSCF0666Small.jpg

It’s nice to know some things never change in the metropolis of Mayer.

I venture back to Mayer for another trip down memory lane and to top my tank before picking up the trail on the other side of the highway.

When you tell most people you are from Arizona, they probably don’t picture majestic trees like this cottonwood.

DSCF0673Small.jpg

The road gets up into state trust land and what appears to be residential subdivisions laid out for custom home sites. This saddens me a bit and I make my way to a scenic lookout.

Scott gave me some waypoint for this area where they tried to eliminate some pavement. I vow to figure out a way to connect Mayer to Cherry with the only pavement being sections I must cross to get to more dirt.

If you've been following along, you can probably guess what happened here.
I transition into some BLM trails which prove to be fun little double tracks with low scrub providing great vistas.

DSCF0684aSmall.jpg

A friendly reminder from the natives

After dancing around with some private lands, I pick up some forest service roads for which I have maps for thanks to Crawler#976, the guru of all things PNF. Thanks to some advanced research, I make it to the highway and negotiate a thin ribbon of pavement to get over to the Old Cherry Road.

DSCF0687Small.jpg

Don’t believe this sign, it lies.

DSCF0692Small.jpg

I enjoy a nice ramble along the OCR and end up in Cherry proper. I visit the Cherry Volunteer Fire Dept and Cemetery.

DSCF0689Small.jpg

DSCF0691Small.jpg

DSCF0698aSmall.jpg

Then it is onto familiar tracks towards Goat Peak. I have done this trail one time before, enroute to my first run on Smiley Rock with the OJ crew a year or so ago. It’s a relatively easy track that I can twist the throttle on.

DSCF0707Small.jpg

The most striking thing about this section is how you pop in and out of small stands of large Ponderosa Pines. This is a transitional area and they occur in little microclimates that they find suitable, making for an interesting tapestry woven upon the hills. Ok, so I’m a plant nerd, most landscape architects are and I’m married to a biology teacher : )

DSCF0700Small.jpg

I make it up to the highway to Jerome and face a choice late in the day. Do I stick to the “official” traverse and run Smiley Rock or do I make tracks to my "secret" route to Williams to share a fresh perspective on the traverse? I figure I can have my cake and eat it to and point the Pollo towards Smiley sometime after 4PM.

There aren’t many people out enjoying the forest this holiday weekend, though I do run into a few hunters along the trail. They seem annoyed to hear me thumping along during their prime hunting hour. I’m not put off to the icy stares, figuring a serious hunter would take up position on a game trail rather than a popular recreational trail.

DSCF0709Small.jpg

The first time I was up here, I traveled with an experienced group and had excellent spotting to get my Tacoma through the tough stuff. It was all too easy that day, leading me to believe I would have a similar experience riding the KLR through. Maybe I was still riding under the influence of a tasty breakfast or my confidence had been built up during my journey to Crown King. Regardless, I struggle to keep the bike from crashing into the cobble lining the trail, knowing one of the many sharp rocks could easily puncture the engine or gas tank if I were to drop the bike. This is the hardest work I’ve had to do yet. I’m really regretting my decision to do this section solo, late in the day. An extra pair of helping hands would have been much safer in hucking this big beast thru the nastiest spots.

DSCF0710Small.jpg

Staying focused keeps me and the Pollo in one piece. The only thing left on the trail was about ¼” of my stock tire tread. Yeah, I’m doing this ride with stock tires : ) With pride, I emerge from Smiley Rock before the sun sets.

DSCF0713Small.jpg

I’m feeling like a seasoned SOB at this point in the ride and looking forward to tackling my secret stash tomorrow. Thoughts of camping near the turn to Jerome are in my head. It is in these moments when disaster strikes. I fail to spot a large boulder lurking in the shadows and find the bottom of my front suspension before exiting the vehicle OTB. I have vast experience with this riding position thanks to my many years of mountain biking. It happens fast, but I manage to land on my feet somehow. Unlike a light cross country MTB, Pollo does not come crashing down on me and has settled into the banked side of the trail. I lift her back up easily, thanks to an ample amount of adrenaline surging thru my veins.

Everything is fine, except my hand brake. The whole lever and barrel assembly has rotated about the bar and obstructed my cut off switch and pointing the brake lever skyward. This is an awkward position, but nothing is broke or bent. I carefully ride down the remaining section of trail to verify all systems are go. I emerge at an open prairie and use the last moments of fleeting sunlight to gather my tools and commence with repairs. Somehow, I have lost my socket used to loosen the assembly in need of rotation. This is not good. I try to use my leatherman to execute the adjustment, but it is not suited to the task. I need to venture into Jerome or beyond to get a tool to make the repair properly. It dark now and I debate making camp and addressing the issue in the morning. Indecisive, I begin riding towards Jerome. I double back towards a camping spot instead. Finally, I decide to ride in the dark to Jerome, as it is an easy track and will allow me the opportunity to camp at lower (warmer) elevations.

When I finally make it into town, I’m cold and well worn from the day’s travel. I’m thinking of grabbing a bite in Jerome and bumming some tools. Unfortunately, there is some kind of big Christmas celebration choking the streets with pedestrians as I make my way downtown. I find no parking as I continually dodge tourists and decide to head down to Clarkdale. Freezing at this point thanks to my sweat soaked attire, I pull into a little Mexican food restaurant to grab some grub and see what kind of tools I can turn up. I get my fill, but do not manage to find tools. A couple of people I run into try to help me out, but all I do is waste precious time. Frustrated, I head down to Cottonwood, where I know there is an auto parts store. At this point my knee reminds me that I should be taking it easy. I find attempt to find another cheap hotel but settle for the franchise across the street from the autoparts store.

I’m a little frustrated with myself for deviating from my camping plans, but it is what it is. Ignoring this little glitch, it has been an excellent day with many wonderful miles being passed through. I don't plan on taking the KLR on smiley rock again, but I'm happy to have had the experience.

day1-8.jpg

Progress to date

The story continues with Jerome to the Grand Canyon on Day Nine...

Last edited by a moderator:
A

agavelvr

Thanks to everyone for all the great comments, I appreciate them.

I've been following along from the beginning, awesome report, helps install some drive into a relative newbie rider like myself also!
Thanks man. Power too the noobs!
This is really the point of my whole story...if you are confident and careful, even a new rider can get out and find some adventure.
After this whole mess is done, I plan on sharing my process, strategy, and lessons learned. I'm far from an expert, but I can definately share what it is like to be a new rider facing challenges.

A

agavelvr

In my rush to post the last update, I quoted the wrong song! It's fixed now.

Anyhow, the music is important to me. The first time I heard Major Lingo was at Lyzzard's in Prescott while in college back in the 90's. Anytime I'm in the vicinity of Jerome, their funky steel guitar sound enters my head. I don't know the lyrics to any of their songs, but I like their groove. This particular song is a cover of another band's song, but I like Major Lingo's version better...appologies to SBS.

I should probably add the band names to each one...
Airborne is a song performed by Flathead, a Tempe rockabilly band. Most of their music is trucker inspired and some of my favorite road music. The lead guitar has a unique sound that I think is the result of playing left handed with a right hand guitar or something.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Very impressed that you did Smiley Rock all by yourself. That trail takes some serious concentration.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
great write up

to go from road to dirt riding in a single swoop is probably the most dificult riding skill
especially after so many years.

I did it in Oman in the desert and took many a painfull "technical laydown" including my memorable first when my lungs seemingly left my body for a short while.

keep going on the story - even if its history !

A

agavelvr

My appologies for the delay. Finals week is demanding on teachers too :)

Day Nine - Jerome to the Grand Canyon – Jesus Built My Hotrod
Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true
Jerry lee lewis was the devil
Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do

After a nice restful night, I inspected the offerings of the complimentary continental breakfast the hotel had to offer. I didn't find anything that suited me, so I fired up the stove and made some oats and coffee next to my bike in the parking lot. After that, I headed across the street to get the tool that I needed and a few miscellaneous bits in order to continue the ride. Fully equipped, I was back in the saddle.

Before smiley rock, I had intended on laying down some new tracks for an alternate route to Williams. Post smiley, my knee was not agreeable to this option. I will return another day share those seriously cool tracks. Not a problem, as the ride out to Perkinsville is an enjoyable consolation.

****UPDATE***** I went out and rode my alternate route*****
****read about it here http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...se-The-Secret-Variation?p=1098153#post1098153 *****

After tanking up in Clarkdale, I stopped in Jerome to take a few pictures and met another friend on the roadside. Like many in the former ghost town of Jerome, this guy was a character, adorn in a colorful purple velvet vest which his unkempt white beard contrasted against starkly.

DSCF0715aSmall.jpg

He started our chat with “So what do you have thankful for this Thanksgiving weekend?” I thought carefully before replying and said the weather has been very agreeable for my journey. He agreed and asked me about my trip. I gave him the elevator speech since I was in a bit of a hurry to get on with it. He nodded with “nice moto – sickle”. I reply with “Thanks, I suppose I should be thankful for the trusty pollo as well since it has seen me through a lot already”. “You're forgetting the most important thing to be thankful for young man,” he replied. “What's that?” I wonder. “The brilliant creator of that contraption,” he quickly responded. “While I appreciate the design of my KLR, the employees of the Kawasaki corp. don't exactly make my short list of people to thank at the moment,” I laugh. “no, no, no, no…Jesus is the creator of all things, and for that I am thankful this special weekend”, my bearded friend blurts. I snap my picture and say my goodbyes with the lyrics of the above song running through my head.

DSCF0728Small.jpg

DSCF0730aSmall.jpg

Zoom, zoom along the familiar track out to Perkinsville, taking the time to snap a few pictures I missed in the dark last night. You'll have to trust me when I say the views are outstanding.

DSCF0734aSmall.jpg

As I round the corner to the bridge, I spot a rancher and his dog commuting to work. I kill the engine and give them time to cross before making my way. I get a big wave once I cross. Hardworking folks are always a friendly bunch in these parts.

Rambling along, I enjoy the wheat colored grasses and red rock adorning the landscape. Like this trip report, the views go on forever.

eagle.jpg

I spotted a bald eagle in flight, but can't grab the camera quick enough to capture it. This is one of my old photos when my family took a trip on the Verde Canyon Railroad a few years back. Traveling by rail is a relaxing way to enjoy the Verde if you haven't done so already. Probably a bit safer than my kayaking adventure down it earlier this year, but that's another story.

PerkinsvilleSmall.jpg

DSCF0742aSmall.jpg

Here is the train's last stop before turning back to Clarkdale, Perkinsville. If you have kids, they do a Christmas season ride where they decorate the place like the North Pole.

DSCF0745Small.jpg

Crossing a little one lane bridge, I cross this miniature canyon, reminding me of my final destination.

DSCF0747aSmall.jpg

Leaving the last bit of civilization I will see for a while, the track remains wide, but gets rough. I start paying more attention to my riding than snapping pictures at this point. It's not as tough as the stuff I dealt with heading up to CK, but you could damage a tire on the sections filled with sharp rocks if you aren't careful. It gets much worse than the picture above.

As I gain elevation, the ponderosas return. I spot my first serious hunters, lucky to have drawn elk tags for a unit that has some big ones. I stop and chat with a couple of guys that are heading back to their base camp to process a giant elk. I've always wanted to learn how to hunt, but just haven't got around to it yet. I ask enough questions to get invited over to their camp to see what is involved in processing big game. To date, the largest land mammal I have cleaned is a rabbit, so this was an interesting opportunity. I didn't feel like taking any pictures since it wasn't my hunt. No crazy stories out of these guys, it was all about processing. I thank the guys for the quick overview and get back on the trail with a belly full of venison jerky they had made. I sure would like to give deer hunting a try sometime since it combines my love of hiking with responsible food procurement.

DSCF0749aSmall.jpg

Hunters, like folks on Expo, know how to camp in style.

Brutal winter road conditions encountered, barely made it through. Had I been here about a week later, I would not be laughing. Northern AZ was dumped upon by the snow gods shortly after I got home. I had perfect weather and road conditions for my entire trip. If you head out, be aware that the trails over 5,000 feet on this traverse could have snow, ice, and serious mud. Be prepared for the mud, as you are unlikely to see anyone out here when conditions are nasty. And don't forget to stop and wash it off before hitting the highway…dodging cast off mud an rocks at highway speed is no fun on a bike :(

DSCF0752aSmall.jpg

With the major elevation gain completed, here's what you can expect for most of the trip to Williams.

DSCF0758aSmall.jpg

Another view of the San Francisco Peaks in the distance, I never get tired of looking at them.

Gorgeous day, would make a nice for sale ad if I wasn't so in love with riding.

I hit slab at some point and motor on into Williams for a late lunch. The town is busy since it is a weekend and elk season. I see countless trucks with bottomed out suspension thanks to what will become a freezer or two of meat. I detect the sweet smell of hickory in the air and trace it back to a BBQ joint. Smells like lunch to me.

By the time I finish lunch and feed the pollo, it's a quarter to four. Winter days are short and I'm not feeling like camping in Williams when the Grand Canyon is just down the street. I ditch my plans to ride dirt from Williams, and opt for the highway. Heresy? Well, I figure I'll just ride dirt I would have rode today, tomorrow when I can actually enjoy them in sunlight.

I fly down the highway in a full tuck and pull onto the trail just shy of making the National Park entrance. These are forest service roads, no admittance fee required : ) In my hustle to get to camp, I take few pictures. The trail starts becoming real chalky. It's pretty much covered in a few inches of bull dust as you approach the reservation, which a grey pickup in front of me is kicking skyward.

I keep a little distance so I don't choke on it, but the truck never pulls over to let me pass. Getting frustrated, I give them a blip or two from the horn, hoping they will see me and pull over. Fail. With no alternate route, I have few options…pull over and let them get ahead of me, resulting in some dark driving for me…eat dust for dinner… or recall my training video, Dust to Glory.

No, I did not ram the back of the truck with the pollo, rather opting for an aggressive pass. I waited for a decent where I had a good vantage point of the road ahead, spotting a long wide section in the road. I put some distance between us as they headed down the hill. Firing the bike up and giving a good twist, I close the distance just as they get near the wide spot. I thunder past in an effort to find blue skies once more. I doubt they ever saw me behind them judging from the looks on their faces as I passed and the fact that they were veering into my path of travel by the time I am next to them. I end up in the scrub brush along the roadside to dodge a collision. I avoid catastrophe by staying on the gas and leaning way back. After pruning some bushes, I make my way back onto the road with the truck in the rear view. I vow to avoid such foolishness in the future. My ride could have ended right there, as a fall in that terrain at speed would have been armor piercing.

DSCF0763Small.jpg

Sometime after 5PM, I make it to this sign.

I encounter what looks to be an abandoned Native American ranger station as the sun sinks lower in the sky. A sign tells me that there is a $25 fee to enter the tribal lands. I find no pay station or attendant and decide to motor on, hoping I do not land myself in a tribal prison. A short while later, I spot another grey pickup alongside the road. I give a friendly wave as I pass. I hear some honking behind me and quickly learn that these are rangers in the grey trucks. Oops. After a quick chat, I am told this section of the reservation is closed due to a tribal elk hunt in progress. I explain that this is the last leg of my trip and all I want to do is cross back onto the National Park to camp for the night. Fortunately, my laid back attitude and story wins me passage…or perhaps it was the $25 I was relieved of. Oh well, at least the transaction was complete before the other ranger came along. I make for the big ditch as the last beams of sun say goodnight.

The road is rutted, gets narrower, and is a challenge in the dusk. I get back onto the National Park and conditions do not improve until I get within about a mile of the rim. At this point, the track is very narrow, and gets brushy for larger rigs. My motorcycle skirts around everything easily. Soon, I'm at the edge of a black hole. I know what it is, but I can't see a thing. I set camp quickly, figuring it's going to be cold tonight. The only reminder of people is a light way of in the distance that I figure is the airport. The nearest human is surely miles away and I'm alone once again.

I send a SPOT ok message to signal my arrival to my support team back home. Just then I remember my buddy, who is a hiking guide up here, bragging about getting cell phone reception in the bottom of the Grand Canyon. I give it a shot and manage to reach my wife for an evening chat. Life is good, can't wait to see where I'm at in the morning!

day1-9.jpg

Progress to date

The story is not quite over yet, Day Ten...

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the update Jeff!

By chance did you notice the repaired guard rail on the north side of the bridge over the mini canyon on Perkinsville Rd?

A

agavelvr

Thanks for the update Jeff!

By chance did you notice the repaired guard rail on the north side of the bridge over the mini canyon on Perkinsville Rd?

No problemo.
I didn't notice anything about the guard rail you mention, but I'm know to miss things : ) What's the story?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater