Artistic Shots- Well thought out, framed (positioned), artistic shots only please.

photoman

Explorer
Every Miles a Memory- those are some very cool shots. I love some of the wildlife shots in your link.

I need to get myself up there for sure!!

Vermejo

Adventurer
DSC_0337.jpg

Mexican Border at Columbus, NM

DSC_0016.jpg

Sierra de las Uvas, NM

DSC_0117.jpg

Corralitos Ranch, NM

DSC_0299.jpg

Cookes Range, NM

DSC_0106.jpg

Kingston, NM

Copy2ofDSC_1420.jpg

Hills of Salem, NM

taco2go

Explorer
Just good ol' fashion use of split ND's to balance out the light, nothing fancy.

Trevor, how are you holding the graduated neutral density filters up- it's hard to see the transition lines in your pictures (especially that last one) -they're obviously well placed. Cokin holder? Hand held?

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Trevor, how are you holding the graduated neutral density filters up- it's hard to see the transition lines in your pictures (especially that last one) -they're obviously well placed. Cokin holder? Hand held?

I come from the hand holder camp. While certainly not for everyone, I prefer the speed of hand holding and feel I have better control over the placement. Not to mention I will sometimes sandwich filters at different angles, something holders don't account for. As for avoiding grad line transitions, a good tip I got from a local photographer was to very lightly rub the filter up and down during the exposure. If I do this I'll use a timed release and I will hold the filter with two hands flush against the lens. It's not easy to do, I've messed up more than a couple shots trying this, but I feel it's certainly worth attempting if you have steady hands.

By the way, thanks for the kind words.

Edit: Oh and more more key thing I forgot to mention, I use live view when placing the grad. It is invaluable for good placement, and not to mention I don't have to keep pressing the DOF preview button to accurately see the effect of the grad.

Last edited:

taco2go

Explorer
I use live view when placing the grad. It is invaluable for good placement, and not to mention I don't have to keep pressing the DOF preview button to accurately see the effect of the grad.

Wow thanks! Those are all great tips. I guess I didn't realize that 'live view' would be such a simple and convenient way to assess the effects of the filters. My camera does not have live view, so I still have to keep the depth of field preview button held. (I'm noticing that many new prosumer SLR's are coming without depth of field preview buttons.)
I'm just getting my feet wet in the arena of split density filters- and it's opened up a whole new way of finding moments. (Along with a lot of inspiration derived from pictures on this forum :Wow1:)
I have experimented with some grad ND plugins that came with a nik software program in post- while I save up my pennies to purchase one or two of Dr Bob Singh's filters.

Anyway, some relatively tame pictures from last fall in the U.P.

555595363_bxbxc-L.jpg

555592191_X3VNn-L.jpg

555591869_PXu8K-L.jpg

My truck is quickly becoming a very well equipped camera case....

IZVERG

Adventurer
Holy crap, Canadian! I'm sure you get asked this every post , but what do you use and/or do to get such amazing pics? I am assuming these are not from any standard digital point and shoot?! And Photoshop?

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Holy crap, Canadian! I'm sure you get asked this every post , but what do you use and/or do to get such amazing pics? I am assuming these are not from any standard digital point and shoot?! And Photoshop?

To be frank, the equipment itself has very little to do with it. The biggest and most difficult part is getting up at the crack of dawn, that's 3/4ths of the battle. So in that regard, the pictures usually take care of themselves. Some people sleep in, some will wait for nice evening light, which can be great as well, but for me there's something unique about the early morning. I think it's the stillness. Paying attention to the light and having an understanding of what it's doing is also a big part of it. Composition plays a hand in the process as well, but is less of a factor to the overall feel of an image, in my opinion anyway. Learn it, know it, then throw it away would be my advice to anyone looking to grow creatively. Then finally it's simply a matter of knowing my equipment and how to use it properly.

Post process doesn't play a huge role for me, although I'd be lying if I said I don't touch my shots. Most of my efforts on the computer are to simply enhance an already good image. You can't create something from nothing....well I suppose you can if you're savy enough with photoshop but I don't know how to, nor do I even use it. I'm a huge fan of filters and use them all the time. I prefer using filters over say, having to do a mutiple shot blend on the computer. But that's just because I hate sitting in front of the computer. It's all about the final image, and I encourage people to do what ever it takes to see their vision come to fruition. If that means blends, layers, dodging, burning etc, have at it.

Once again, thanks for the kind words!

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Reflections

I love reflections and I'm always looking for them when ever I see water or anything that is reflective

This was late evening in Yellowstone and I couldnt help but stop when I saw this one

568624697_gMBjn-L-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal