Astro gets a rear tire carrier....Finally.

mtnmike

Observer
Hey Herbie, yes I have seen your project and have been referring to it frequently, thanks! I just built my own swivel using this design http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8236
I had a break thru on the tire carrier today! Pics coming soon.
Oh and back to the swivel, I'm trying to figure out how to keep the "glove Box" under the seat.....why do I make this difficult...? We will see how this goes, I might just take it out.
Mike

T.Low

Expedition Leader
keep the "glove Box" under the seat.....why do I make this difficult...?

Understandable, though. I keep a standard stash there, inluding a 1 million candlepower hand held spot that plugs into the lighter, among other things. If it came down to a choice of one or the other, I'd trade the stash spot for the swivel, too, though.

Great work.

mtnmike

Observer
Thanks, I had not seen that one. It keeps the drawer, at least part, and uses part of the original base, two things I was looking to do. I can't believe I missed that thread.
Thanks again.
@ T.Low, I get kinda obsessive about having things in there place in the van and am gona try to keep it for sure but not at the expense of the swivel.
Mike

mtnmike

Observer
Mounted!

Well I got the rack on the van today! It all went on smooth and the locking mechanism works great. I'll probably machine a new tab for it as you can see I just plasma cut the notch quick and dirty to see if it was all gona work.
IMG_3156.jpg
Also the release handle is gona be reworked, but i'll live with it for awhile and see. It works easy and is out of the way of the first door to open. My thinking for now is to put a rearward bend so it is easier to grab and maybe a two finger eye for pulling.
IMG_3154.jpg
So far with a few road miles on it I am happy that there is no rattling. Got to get it out on some wash board and see how it holds up, I'll keep you all posted.
Mike

mtnmike

Observer
It's very easy to lift and lower, the range of motion is only 4to5 inches with half that being with the weight straight up over the pivot. My wifes only complaint so far is that she has to touch the tire....gota keep it clean.
Thanks for the link.
MikeV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner