Astro/Safari Off Road Videos

ihatemybike

Explorer
We have a pics thread, how about a videos thread.

Here's Grumpy my 1997 Astro AWD stock being abused at the Badland Offroad Park.

I think it would be cool to have a thread per make/model as stickies.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
To each their own but...
Why would you even consider that vehicle for off roading? All the videos show is how incapable it is.
I was just thinking the same thing... My 4Runner would walk up/over and through any of that in 2wd... AND I can sleep in the back of it too.Course I can't figure out why anyone would drive anything but a Toyota (Cruiser or Mini-truck), G-Wagen or Nissan Patrol so I am a bit narrow minded in these things eh. I would advise though if you're going to take a Chevy Van out 4wheeling that you at least bring one of the suitable afformentioned 4wd's with you to go get parts/pull you out ;)

Cool to see people out on the trail exloring/playing though, no matter WHAT it is eh ;) I will also admit that I've seen some neat builds off of AWD AStro's. Some folks even drop in an electric-shift 2 speed T-case (I think from newer Chevy SUV's... alot of those to shoose from in the junk yards eh) for true 4wd capability.

Cheers

Dave

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Why would you even consider that vehicle for off roading? All the videos show is how incapable it is.

Seriously? The average person on this section isnt rockcrawling their van, they are overlanding or exploring and camping. While the videos posted so far arent shining examples of capability you have to take into account they are vans, not land cruisers - and have more comfortable interiors and double the mileage of a 60 series, with 5% of the aftermarket support your model has. Parts are a dozen times more easy to source here in the US at any auto parts store than a cruiser, and they have more cool factor as a vehicle least likely to be following you on the same trail successfully then a Jeep or another Toyota. If you take the time to search other posts you will see the capability that can be built into these vehicles and the places they can be taken.

1sweetvan

Adventurer
I'm not seeing the links to the Videos. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: There they are. They didn't show up on the Blackberry for some reason.

Last edited:

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
Seriously? The average person on this section isnt rockcrawling their van, they are overlanding or exploring and camping. While the videos posted so far arent shining examples of capability you have to take into account they are vans, not land cruisers - and have more comfortable interiors and double the mileage of a 60 series, with 5% of the aftermarket support your model has. Parts are a dozen times more easy to source here in the US at any auto parts store than a cruiser, and they have more cool factor as a vehicle least likely to be following you on the same trail successfully then a Jeep or another Toyota. If you take the time to search other posts you will see the capability that can be built into these vehicles and the places they can be taken.

Very well said!

ihatemybike

Explorer
Cause it's a whole lot of fun! My van Grumpy has impressed many with where it has been able to go. The first vid shows it going up a rock ledge that nobody though it would make and you can hear it ********** the trans cross member as it high centered. Most any stock 4x4 would have done the same. Picking a slightly more rock filled line allowed the van to just scrape bottom and get up. I ran around with the Jeeps all day and only ran into clearance issues.

Grumpy has run coast to coast, spent time on the trails near Moab, UT, spent several days running around local off road parks and taken me on abandoned sections of Route 66. The van has more interior space than a Suburban and will do over 20 mpg highway.

Without any mods the van can probably run about 75% of what people consider off road, with mods I can see maybe 95%. After Grumpy's mods are done I plan on running the Rubicon Trail with it....and it will make it, I think.

So what about these videos show a lack of off road ability? All three show the vans clearly being able to handle what was thrown at them. Well maybe aside from the second one where the guy spins it around and lays it on it's side, but they got it upright and it just kept on going.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader

Guys, if I'm reading this correctly(maybe not), but it is kind of like sacarsm....it's not putting down the vans....that's my interpretation of it...

tinbasher

Observer
those 2 mud videos are lame, aarons is pretty cool consider its a stock mini van (with i asume highway tires).my boss has a video of his 97 safari with 31's on a beach givin'er, i've been trying to get him to put on youtube.
edit. i found it but its all messed up
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXP3b2NrN1M"]YouTube - clip-2010-05-04 15;05;32[/ame]

Last edited:

ihatemybike

Explorer
Grumpy had stock size Primewell (Firestone store off brand) all season road tires in that video. Had them aired down to 20 psi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__

Members online