Aussie Custom Built Camping Trailer

indiedog

Adventurer
My trailer runs same rims and tyres as my tow vehicle. Not a bad idea when you aren't lugging a spare around on a small trailer.

Where in Oz are you located? I was originally thinking Vic due to pics of burnt trees.

Pete79

Observer
My trailer runs same rims and tyres as my tow vehicle. Not a bad idea when you aren't lugging a spare around on a small trailer.

Where in Oz are you located? I was originally thinking Vic due to pics of burnt trees.

I was in Sydney for 5 years. We did a couple of high country trips in those years. But we explored as much as we could and my photos are from everywhere throughout NSW, VIC and Tasmania.
Now I've just moved back to The Sunshine Coast.

As for the tyres;
That's how I built mine as well, Suzuki hubs and the tyres where standard Jimny size. The tyres on my Jimny where only 1 size bigger, so near enough to be able to swap around between tug and trailer if really needed.

The reason for up sizing on the trailer was sort of to suit my vehicles too.....

The Jimny stayed in Sydney and the new tow rig has pretty big feet. :)

366FB5FB-76E6-4308-AC1F-FC79DCB1AF3C_zpslzt5zgt6.jpg

Pete79

Observer
Finally had a chance to hook up the trailer and got to see how it sits behind the JK now.
The new tyres didn't give me as much lift as I was hoping.

It's almost level now, but I want to do some work on the hitch and I need it sitting a bit higher then this for my plan to work properly.

Grabbed a quick snap with it hooked up in the driveway.

E0EBA5B8-6E8D-41ED-A2E7-AFE37E765589_zpsk4vjui5h.jpg

The tyre on the trailer looks a bit twisted in that pic, but it's the bent mud guard that's doing it.
My guards are 2mm mild steel and I've managed to bend both sides on different tracks.
This side was from a big stump hiding on the edge of a muddy bog hole.

9BD36B32-3824-43A0-94DD-E347989B501B_zpsivg20dpa.jpg

Last edited:

indiedog

Adventurer
We're looking to make a move up that way in a few years if we can, it has it all up there. We'll be west of Woodford for our next break.

Is it feasible to change hubs on the trailer to match the stud pattern? Possibly you would be up for complete new brakes.

Pete79

Observer
You're right about having it all up here and we're pretty lucky with our place.
It's only 15 minutes for us to go and have a play at Glasshouse and only 45 minutes to explore all the tracks around Kenilworth.
We love going out there, set up base camp then head out finding new tracks for the day.

IMG_1774_zpspbrxicon.jpg

IMG_15351_zpswaecgprf.jpg

207328ED-9BDC-4BA3-9199-5FFBC465615F_zpsij7lbrke.jpg

With regards to the hubs/stud pattern on the trailer;
I have a couple of different tow rigs (the JK and a dual cab Triton), I don't see the point in picking one over the other.

I don't like the hubsentric Jeep wheels and my Triton is my work car that I turn over every 4 years.
Besides, I can get Suzuki rims for free. ;)

Right at this moment I'm finishing off our big landscaping project at home, once I finish that I'll get back on to the trailer.

The plan is to eventually run 33s or bigger on the trailer and my little 39mm axle and LM bearings won't handle that.
So I'll be going up to a 45mm with SL bearings pretty soon.

I want to stay spring under, so I'm going to change my hangers to give me a slight lift. Then extend my drawbar and change the hitch to be mounted flush with the bottom of the drawbar (rather then above).

I had hoped to be getting started on these mods now, but I decided to drop 8 big gum trees last week and realign my top driveway now before the storm season starts.

The trailer has been parked in the shed and will probably sit for a few weeks, but I'll be collecting parts to have everything ready once I finish the work around the property.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater