Auto Technica Garage's Rally raid project!

Rob Ladd

IMG_20120715_192243.jpg

IMG_20120715_192330.jpg

IMG_20120715_192213.jpg

Last edited:

Mephisto

It's gonna sound like a tractor when the wastegate opens, or are you going to extend that dump a bit? 4G's with a short open dump are always good for scaring people though, lol, wastegate opens and it sounds like armageddon.

Rob Ladd

It's gonna sound like a tractor when the wastegate opens, or are you going to extend that dump a bit? 4G's with a short open dump are always good for scaring people though, lol, wastegate opens and it sounds like armageddon.

Yeah it will make some racket with the short dump, I might run it into a small muffler of it's own at some point though.

Jrally

Adventurer
Sweet looking build up, something to inspire to some day. You're fabrication skills are looking top notch. I'll be keeping an eye on this build for sure. Might not be the best choice for rallying in the US, but it's not a bad one either, although certainly more suited for long off-road races than tight twisty races.

-Jon

kuroi

Chief mud inspector
Thanks for the kind words Jon, I figure it might not be optimal for all types of courses but it's sure gonna try! haha

kuroi

Chief mud inspector
12+-+1

Gave it back it's two tone stripes, it looked all wrong without them

12+-+1

Last edited:

Jrally

Adventurer
You'll have a blast trying, and that's what really counts in my book. I helped build a single cab, shortbed Tacoma 4x4 for dual use, rallying and off-road racing in SoCal. The truck only ran in rallying, Open class with a mildly built up 2.7L n/a, maybe 150hp at the wheels. He ran one season and was able to get 2nd place in class for the season, he even got an overall win at one race in it. What it had over the cars was toughness, since it was lacking in the power. For various reasons, it's now for sale, but a damn nice build, handled great with a huge long travel swaybar out back. 10-12" of travel in the front about 14" in the rear. For rallying, it's all about making the vehicle handle. I think it can be done with the Montero/Pajero, the factory backed Dakar team did amazing with them.

-Jon

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You can longtravel the front of a gen 1 with Gen 2 front suspension, for your truck use the long CV's from a truck with 12v 3.0 because they shared the same diff as the 4 cylinder trucks.
Good work on the rally truck!

On a side note, Padokku makes long travel IFS for Gen 2's but that sort of thing can be done locally at a relatively inexpensive price.

kuroi

Chief mud inspector
Ive heard about the 2nd gen arm swap.
That is going to happen in the near future with some bump shocks added in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3