AWD Chevy Astro v. Toyota Hiace

Fishenough

Creeper
@Fishenough: Great to hear from someone with experience around the Hiaces. So you have had some problems with wait times on vehicle parts, that unfortunate (and not what I wanted) to hear. Id be happy to hear a story.

Only stateside cars for me at this time.

I understood you have an different stateside. These pics from 2002, multiple JDM's were common in my driveway. Some parts were off the shelf... Some were mailed in from Australia, arriving cheaper and faster than not in stock parts from a local shop. My favourite story is waiting for glow plugs for my 60 LC, being stuck on a Baja beach for an extra week, with kids. And we had a blast.

The Toyota 1KZ is a popular engine in Asia, though I'm a fan of the 1KD. But when I lived in Thailand one would see many a Hiace with some basic mods driving the opposite of slow!

b7b6fa0fec12c34c19a8b5bc0928ec70.jpg
57e33bbd89f1951c472bbdb567a76fc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

Fishenough

Creeper
I have the option to buy a 2003 AWD CHEVY Astro or a 1989 (true) 4x4 Hiace and am weighing my options. Some input would be nice. the age difference does not make a huge difference electronically since the Astro is a bare bones cargo.

Whatca get?

@Fishenough: So I was going to go with the Astro. Unfortunately, there were some discrepancies in the add and the reality of the car I went and checked out. It was really hard to walk away. For what I was looking for and the price I was going to pay (a pristine astro cargo), it did not fit the bill in person as there was some door alignment problems; I wasn't willing to take on that project.

Super unfortunate as it looked like some of the doors had been opened too far. Maybe I'll go back to the Hiace, now.

But I did find this VW T4 (but its front wheel drive) the other day for not much more:

Attachments

• 202211-5d2cdb273a684343aacb78bc58d2ceca.jpeg
    202211-5d2cdb273a684343aacb78bc58d2ceca.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
@Fishenough: So I was going to go with the Astro. Unfortunately, there were some discrepancies in the add and the reality of the car I went and checked out. It was really hard to walk away. For what I was looking for and the price I was going to pay (a pristine astro cargo), it did not fit the bill in person as there was some door alignment problems; I wasn't willing to take on that project.

Maybe I'll go back to the Hiace, now.

But I did find this the other day for not much more:

Is that an Astro? Whatever it is, it's a good looking ride.

Fishenough

Creeper
Kinda hoping you end up with a Toyota. Resale is on another level with the JDM.

Bid this past Thursday auction on an older than normal Toyota 4x4 for our student renter. Mistakenly bid too low, missed it by less than $1200 cdn. Sold for 740,000 yen.

2d9f8fd21a33b9e8be9058a81a051540.jpg
092f1932c87fee977a99a12e7649fcfa.jpg

@Fishenough: Darn, that is a bummer. That thing looks killer. Jeez thats like $5.5k USD, no wonder these dealers are making loads on them.

Yeah, me too. It looks like I have the opportunity to move to Jackson Hole. Over passes, those might be little slow going without the turbo lol. I am still holding out for the one by me. Buyer has lowered add price my 2k since I last talked to him. Doesn't sound like he's gettin hits with the current market. If I can get it for a good price I'll buy it -- I'd be interested in the one by me for $14-15k (which seems to be roughly the going rate here for a CA licensed one). Considering I am in California I will not be importing one due to the complexities in licensing them here. I do not have the spare cash or time to risk it not being able to be licensed here.

@casioqv: Oooo, that makes it even more intriguing. With the V6 I suspect it will have more get-up than the Hiace. I am going to check out the T4 soon. In terms of my needs, snow is really what I am worried about, serious overloading less-so. I suspect front wheel might be fine.

Last edited:

Fishenough

Creeper
@Fishenough: Darn, that is a bummer. That thing looks killer. Jeez thats like $5.5k USD, no wonder these dealers are making loads on them.

Yeah, me too. It looks like I have the opportunity to move to Jackson Hole. Over passes, those might be little slow going without the turbo lol. I am still holding out for the one by me. Buyer has lowered add price my 2k since I last talked to him. Doesn't sound like he's gettin hits with the current market. If I can get it for a good price I'll buy it -- I'd be interested in the one by me for $14-15k (which seems to be roughly the going rate here for a CA licensed one). Considering I am in California I will not be importing one due to the complexities in licensing them here. I do not have the spare cash or time to risk it not being able to be licensed here.

@casioqv: Oooo, that makes it even more intriguing. With the V6 I suspect it will have more get-up than the Hiace. I am going to check out the T4 soon. In terms of my needs, snow is really what I am worried about, serious overloading less-so. I suspect front wheel might be fine.

I understand, I bought a motorcycle from north Dakota 12 years ago; such a complicated process and so demanding; far easier, in comparison, to import from Japan.

Happy shopping!

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
I am going to check out the T4 soon. In terms of my needs, snow is really what I am worried about, serious overloading less-so. I suspect front wheel might be fine.

Depending on the year, it might have, or be possible to retrofit VWs EDL traction control system, which works awesome. Retrofit is usually just swapping the ABS pump. VW FWD with EDL and a set of Spikes Spider traction aids will do awesome in the snow.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
@casioqv :: I will have to look into that. I have seen these vans in 4WD, do you happen to know if the conversion is possible (and reasonably priced)?

There is a market of importers that will source and ship Europe only parts to the USA. I have done it, to convert a VW Golf to a 6 speed manual, and it was cheaper than I expected. If you are interested, I would try to find someone online that has done it to figure out what parts are needed. Frans on TDIClub, is the person I have had source and ship VW parts to me from Europe. Note, if your budget allows, the 1980s VW Vanagon was also sold here in a 4x4 Syncro model, but they are rare and command a massive sale price in the USA - we're talking 40 grand plus for what is still an 80s minivan. There's a wrecked donor van on SF Bay Craigslist right now that has the Syncro 4x4 system: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/d/fremont-vw-vanagon-syncro-1987/7599023282.html

@casioqv :: Thanks, I'll message that guy on the TDI forum. Yeah, those Syncros are awesome but at 40-50k it is way out of my budget. Not to mention the T4 is only like 17k and could probably bargain for less. Not to mention I don't know how to drive manual and am not looking to start (chastise me).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk