Axe or chainsaw?

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I just carry a double bit axe and a bow saw for cutting and splitting down wood. Chain saws are a great tool, but I dislike hearing or making noise in the woods.

d1sc0ver

Adventurer
Im surprized at the responses to this question. Personally I am offended by most people who think they can cut trees in national forests. I hate it when I am camping and hear someone running a chainsaw. Shooting bothers me even more. I can see using a chainsaw in the spring to clear trees off of trails but other than that bring wood from home. A nice sharp double bit axe can make quick work of most trees. If every person that used the trails here on the front range brought a chainsaw camping there would be no trees left. I try to practice leave no trace ethics whenever possible.

I didn't read where anyone here said they were felling trees in a national forest?

d1sc0ver

Adventurer
I carry both if headed into the woods, but also always have an axe with me. I've got a little 14" home lite. It's the home depot house brand, got it on clearance for like $60. Works good for what I need.

Mike

Correction: Homelite has been around forever and is available just about everywhere, it is definitely not the store brand for Home Depot.

AKRover

Adventurer
Im glad to see everyone is in agreement. "THE DEAD WOOD LYING AROUND" is all im talking about. I would NEVER cut down a green tree for fire wood on the trail unless my life depended on it.

I think if your life depended on it you would still be much better off using something dead since there is a better chance that it will actually burn. :)

Honu

lost on the mainland
You must hate me then since I ride dirt bikes. :roost:

years ago I used to race :) I miss the smell and sound of bikes :) nothing like Klotz or other synthetics burning off from a 2 stroke :)

now with all the 4 strokes you get that cool thumper sound though

when I hear a bike I get a smile and think how fun they must be having

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I have a 16" chainsaw I've brought a couple times, but hate carrying extra gas, and almost never found anything I'd need to use it on, plus I'm of the 'I'd rather it be quiet' type (to each their own, though).

Instead, I've started carrying around a Crafstman 19.2V sawzall + extra batteries and a charger. I use a 14" woodcutting blade and can get through just about anything, and the axe finishes off the rest if it's too big. I use the 19.2v lamps at night & vac/blower to fill up/take down our inflatable beds (<30 sec each).

Lars70

Observer
Im surprized at the responses to this question. Personally I am offended by most people who think they can cut trees in national forests. I hate it when I am camping and hear someone running a chainsaw. Shooting bothers me even more. I can see using a chainsaw in the spring to clear trees off of trails but other than that bring wood from home. A nice sharp double bit axe can make quick work of most trees. If every person that used the trails here on the front range brought a chainsaw camping there would be no trees left. I try to practice leave no trace ethics whenever possible.

Deadfall wood is extremely abundant, and people are very few and far between, in the areas I frequent. Our habit is to pull off the (typically dirt) road when we see areas of abundant downed wood, generally before getting to camp. Usually before we even know exactly where we are going to camp. Then stocking up. The chainsaw has no impact on how much wood we take, only how easy it is to break down into firepit-sized pieces. For the last few outings we've been using an old washing machine drum for our fires, so it's nice to have the wood cut down to fit. I've wielded an axe & maul plenty in my life, my shoulders and wrists hate me when I do that now. A small saw, used judiciously (I'm sensitive about the noise they make too) is much nicer.

Lucky j

Explorer

Well, up here, gorverment officials and park stongly suggest to eather purchase fire wood on the spot (let say if it is a campground) or used down wood, but not to bring your own from the house, cause you become a carier of pest ans other desease for the vegetation.

I wonder if it aplies to all fo thoses logging truck as well.:coffee:

Juste a tough.

On the topic, I have a 6 1/2" long edge on my axe, and got to tell you that it only take a couple of swing to cut a 6" log. And it is very silent and never hard to start.

RR1

Explorer
when I hear a bike I get a smile and think how fun they must be having

We are having fun. No other feeling quite like whipping in and out of the trees.

I must be double bad, for riding and carrying a chainsaw to clear downed trees from the trails. This season is going to be a mess with all of the snow we had. There is still snow in the high country.

pro-moto-billet-chainsaw-rack.jpg

now with all the 4 strokes you get that cool thumper sound though

The new generation 4-Stokes are bad a**, I love mine.

Red90

Adventurer
Backish on topic....

Stihl MS260. Their smallest Pro model, with a 16" bar. God it is nice to use a good chainsaw... Axe as well. You need to split wood for fire use.
Stihl_MS260.jpg

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
If you need to bring along a chainsaw just to make a fire... you are probably making a bigger fire then you need.

"Indian make small fire, sit close around it and talk with his friends. White men make big fire, and yell at each other."

I've been doing this camping thing for a while... and have never really needed anything more than a small axe or hatchet. Then again, I usually do not camp with large groups, where a large fire might be needed.

pb_beaker

Observer
I have a 16" chainsaw I've brought a couple times, but hate carrying extra gas, and almost never found anything I'd need to use it on, plus I'm of the 'I'd rather it be quiet' type (to each their own, though).

Instead, I've started carrying around a Crafstman 19.2V sawzall + extra batteries and a charger. I use a 14" woodcutting blade and can get through just about anything, and the axe finishes off the rest if it's too big. I use the 19.2v lamps at night & vac/blower to fill up/take down our inflatable beds (<30 sec each).
I didnt even think of that.... its a great idea and no extra gas and not as noisey as the chainsaw
If you need to bring along a chainsaw just to make a fire... you are probably making a bigger fire then you need.

"Indian make small fire, sit close around it and talk with his friends. White men make big fire, and yell at each other."

I've been doing this camping thing for a while... and have never really needed anything more than a small axe or hatchet. Then again, I usually do not camp with large groups, where a large fire might be needed.
True. I however go with a big group 2-5 jeeps and i like big fires.

Some times when we go to the dunes (Dumont) we have a fire that is 20' by 10'. ITS AWSOME!

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
you can generally get through just about any dead fall just as fast or faster with a good sharp bow saw than a chainsaw.
21YQBAPEPCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

if you are cutting green wood a chainsaw is faster.

there is absolutely no need for a chainsaw when you are out in the wilderness car camping. it blows my mind that people would even consider taking something like a 16" chainsaw "camping" with them.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I go down the chainsaw path. I usualy am camped miles away from any one else so the noise only bothers me and only for a short burst of time to get the job done.

784673751_qVk6E-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach