Axle guru's needed

high-and-dry

Okay first some specs. Over all trailer width will be 5'6 to 5'8", I want fenders on it so I want about 3 to 4 inches of tire/wheel past the wall. I want to use toyota rims which are 6 lug 5.5" and I think the rims have 4.5 from the inside of the rim offset. Tire size 31 10.5 r15.

I think I want a axle length hub to hub of 60 inches, and my frame rails should be outside width of 46 inches. Pretty sure that works out to about 2 to 2.5 inches of frame clearance from the tire. Due to tire height I am pretty sure a 0 degree angle on the arms which should give me 16 or ground clearance to frame.. I want the option for brakes, maybe now maybe later.

Okay I would love timbren axles but I would love to not spend that much. I dont want spring axles, so that leaves me flexiride or dexter torsion axle. It does not appear I can do the 6 x 5.5 lug pattern on the flexiride but can on the dexter.

I think I will need the dexter 3500 axle, can the rubber be down sized to a wet weight of around 1500. What should I am for for the rubber rating?

Edit i found a place that looks like I can get it with brakes for right around 500, who is the cheapest for something like this?

high-and-dry

Okay after some full size drawings, figuring on a 2 inch spacer to make the toy rim work, just in case and for flexibility. It looks like I can make the frame 50 wide, hub to hub 64.

The rims I have are 7 wide, with 4.75 offset. That keeps me with in the specs for the dexter torsion axle limit of 4" min 9 max.

Can any one confirm this?

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
Sounds like a cool project you’re working on. If you do end up needing a suspension guru we have some of those, although we call them suspension techs ?. They’d be happy to talk with you about your project. We know our product costs a little more but we also believe you get what you pay for. Either way, have fun with this project ??

i Did the flexride 3500lb axle on my M116a2 build. Got the 5x5 bolt pattern that matched the jeep cherokee i ran. Worked great. Had to clearance the rims center to fit the bearing snout out. No problems after that.
I recently changed tow vehicles to a Toyota Sequoia that has 6x5 polt pattern. Only problem was the new 6 bolt hubs only come in imperial thread pitch and would not fit metric thread studs to match the sequoia, and the fact the Toy studs have a shoulder the rim sits on vs the imperial acorn style that self center. Shook the internet till I found Currie makes some that are the correct length. only ones i could find. All others are too short or would not fit the hole in the backing plate.

I see this problem in your future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle