axle placement

NatersXJ6

Explorer
How does the Coke trailer meet the 60/40 rule?

It doesn’t. No commercial truck does, but it is just a rule of thumb, and really just for bumper pull trailers, versus fifth wheel styles that are more concerned with axle loads than tongue weight. Many commercial trucks can slide the axle assembly back and forth to achieve the correct loading though. That is close to the same effect of moving the load around.

Reactions: plh

Rubicon51

Observer
Thanks for all the help guys. I'd say that the majority of the weight will be up front. Over the axle and back will be my 4wheeler. That will help off set the weight on the front. However I'm sure there will be trips without the 4wheeler. Trips like that will maybe have a dirt bike and additional gear. I'm placing the water tank as close to the axle as I can. It would be nice to have a sliding axle like big rigs do. I'm going to start at 60/40 and then move the axle a little closer to the front if I have to. I'm using the timbren offroad axle-less setup, so I don't think moving them will be that bad.

180out

always keep 60%+ on the ball in any load configuration. if you deviate from this the trailer will duck walk behind you and at speed can flip the whole rig. not pretty. happens all the time with u-haul trailers.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
always keep 60%+ on the ball in any load configuration. if you deviate from this the trailer will duck walk behind you and at speed can flip the whole rig. not pretty. happens all the time with u-haul trailers.

Yes. To this point, too far back is better than too far forward with respect to axle position. Keeping the weight mostly between the axle and tongue “may” cause tongue weight problems, but having a majority of the weight behind the axle and not enough on the tongue “will” cause control problems.

With that in mind, you are probably okay running around without a 4 wheeler on the back, but you might have problems running empty other than your 4 wheeler, if the axle is in front of the 4 wheeler.

Something tells me that overall your trailer is so short that it won’t really matter unless your tow vehicle is super short or lightweight.

Trailer brakes , trailer brakes, trailer brakes, trailer brakes… let me emphasize… trailer brakes! Lots of states and people on the internet will say you don’t need them. The difference between cleaning up a little brown stain in your shorts and a massive red stain on the highway is often as simple as trailer brakes.

jwiereng

And something I have always wondered, it seems like moving the axle farther back has no downside other than adding tongue weight? The example is obviously a fifth wheel that changes the equation, but what other negative might there be to having the axel farther back than it typically needs to be?

The reason for my question is I have a scheme for building some kind of bumper tow camper. My tow vehicle will be a 163"WB F-150 that has the max towing package and can handle plenty of tongue weight but is a hassle to maneuver. Pushing the axel farther back might make things maneuver easier and might help me place the entry door in a more optimal spot.

pushing the axle rearward will increase tongue weight. Making it more difficult to man handle when off the hitch.

john61ct

Adventurer
Excess tongue weight have **much** more dangerous consequences, can be life threatening at US highway speeds.

And not just the lives of those in your vehicle.

And I'm not saying insufficient ball weight is more or less dangerous.

Stay within that 8-12% range. Treat it as a top priority, like tire pressures and checking bearings periodically

More slack might be OK for slow travel speeds in surface roads, but not on our highways.

billiebob

How does the Coke trailer meet the 60/40 rule?
Coke truck is a fifth wheel and it is a 50/50 layout.
20,000 pounds on the drive, 20,000 pounds on the trailer.

And as all fifth wheels do, they handle like sports cars compared to anything bumper pull.

Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven