Baboons pass, Lesotho, Africa

Uys

Observer
Hi guys. Myself and a couple of friends just completed Baboons pass in Lesotho. The pass is 20km long and it took is 3 straight days to do it. Like the organizer said, it is not a track, it's an adventure -and boy, was it an adventure. I'll do a trip report and post some pics here over the next couple of days.

Baboon's Pass is difficult and not for the faint of heart. This is a hectic pass which consists of huge rocks and the soil only exists to create large 'potholes' for vehicles to suffer through. Essential items are a tow strap, snatch strap, decent D-Shackles, high-lift jacks, airjacks and the odd winch. Motorcyclists have dared this path (the best completing it in an hour), but few motorists in four-wheel drive.

In order to first be eligible to traverse the Baboon's Pass, adventurers will first need the correct type of vehicle. Even some strong ones might not be up to the challenge, unless you don't mind leaving parts of it behind. The ideal number for a group would be four to eight vehicles. The entrance to Baboon's Pass is just after the Likolobeng River, passing Ramabanta Trading post (S29 39.928 E27 47.772) and as soon as you have entered a terrain of large rocks and holes in the road await to ruin the belly of your car. The ground itself starts with small river sand type ground, followed by brown dusty ground, which is bad for traction.

Teamwork and careful planning is essential on this trip, just to make it through, otherwise you could run the risk of leaving your vehicle there permanently to act as a warning and attraction for future adventurers. Stupid mistakes could even lead to vehicles dropping off the cliff face. Obstacles on the pass force vehicles to go one by one, meaning everyone helps each other at least, but the larger the group the longer you'll wait. Huge boulders, narrow passages, holes and ditches causes by flooding, steep uphills, more than 90-degree turns, and high vertical cliffs dropping off the side are what you can expect, and just to make it appetizing the mountain threw in 500m of impassable damaged road, a 2km section of flat twin track road and Goliath, a huge, well known rock in the road making it even more narrow. Overnighting can be done on the pass by means of choosing a suitable area and setting up camp, but expect to spend two days on this track if all goes well. The pass is approximately 26km long.

Last edited:

Uys

Observer
The view from Ramabanta Trading post:

w174385_3358_baboons-pass_baboons-pass-from-ramabanta-lodge.jpg

Start of the pass:

attachment.php

Typical terrain:

attachment.php

To complete the pass you engage 1 st gear low range even before the start of the pass and you stick to it for the following 26km. You don't frequently get to drive more than 500m without stopping to repair/build road. When opening the door, it become habit to grab your gloves when you get out! The guys would even show up with their gloves for lunch or drinks. Even when somebody would stop for a picture the rest of us would stop and walk up to him - gloves in hand.

About 2km into the pass we stumbled upon a rock that was covering more or less 70% of the width of the road, which, at that point, was only just about a wide as the 105 Land Cruiser. Our initial attempts to move it by pure power-of-man proofed highly ineffective (the rock ignored us) so we had to employ mechanical power - high lift jacks! Awesome machines those ;D It took quite a lot of time, but we initially cleared the road and was ready to move on.

The first day, we drove our harts out! And we made it 5km into the pass. We realized there that it won't be a 2 day trip, but that we'll need the third day that we planned other sight seeing for as well. You get to point where you give up on not damaging your vehicle, and once this mind shift has taken place you get to not damaging your vehicle too much! This state of mind also passes by and you get to getting the vehicle out of the pass in a condition that will get you home. By night 1 I was still in not damaging too much mode.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks for the trip report and images. I had hoped to do Baboons when in Lesotho last December, but ran low on time.

That trails seems to have become the 'Rubicon' of South Africa - fun!

What vehicle did you drive through there and what (if any) modifications have you performed to it?

jpvm

Explorer
Nice trip, so lets see some more pictures !!
(I see a Toyota Fortuner , which is based on an old Lexus model, and apparently a late model Land Cruiser, is it right ?)

Uys

Observer
Sorry guys, I got side tracked, lots more to come!

The vehicles were:

• Andre Naude in a 105 serier Cruiser with some serious lift and double lockers
  • Christo Davids in a Ford Ranger with a SAS and rear locker
  • Nico Prins in Hilux Gen 5 with SAS and no lockers but redicoulus travel
  • Myself in a Toyota Fortuner 3 litre D4D with 80mm suspension lift and rear locker
  • Albert Gravett in a Fortuner (4 liter petrol) with 60mm suspension lift and rear locker
  • Morne Snyman with a Hilux Vigo (4 litre) with no lift and rear locker
  • Tiaan Strydom in a D3 4 litre V6 , standard with only the modified suspension links to obtain hyper extende mode

The Fortuner is actually the SUV based on the Hilux Vigo, like the Forerunner was based on the previous shape Hilux.

Uys

Observer
Some more pics:

Approaching the pass:

attachment.php

Before the official start:

attachment.php

The group, I am the sexy bald guy :wings:

attachment.php

My Fortuner

attachment.php

attachment.php

Temporary setback:

attachment.php

Getting it out of the way:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rain approaching:
attachment.php

Scenery:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8828.jpg
    IMG_8828.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_8832.jpg
    IMG_8832.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_8851.jpg
    IMG_8851.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_8852.jpg
    IMG_8852.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 604
  • IMG_8858.jpg
    IMG_8858.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_8862.jpg
    IMG_8862.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_8866.jpg
    IMG_8866.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_8867.jpg
    IMG_8867.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_8870.jpg
    IMG_8870.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_8894.jpg
    IMG_8894.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 591

jpvm

Explorer
Wau, great coverage, great path, great pictures, very nice 4Xs , those are same models we have here in Southamerica. Congratulations.

Is there any Baboon there to see (maybe not to get too close to..) ?

Viggen

Just here...
Any updates? Is this the same trail that someone tried to take a trailer up? For some reason I remember a much lambasted video being posted on this site of something like that.

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
I really enjoyed this report. This looks like a tough and fun trail.

The two photos below reminded me of the roadrunner and the coyote cartoons. I couldn't keep myself from imagining that big rock rolling down the slope and crushing the 105 series Land Cruiser below.

Actually, not a happy thought, but it crossed my mind

Thank you very much for the pleasurable reading.

Frankspinz

Adventurer
More ! more ! more ! I love the pics and reading about your "drive" ! Spent a few days at Cathedral Peaks end 1990s , a beautiful part of the world those mountains !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal