Baboons pass, Lesotho, Africa

Uys

Observer
The stretch before the big rock:
attachment.php

The victory walk - Bruce Willys style, we turned out to look like a bunch of Dorks:
attachment.php

We are going up there:
attachment.php

Building road:
attachment.php

******!! Did we not just start down there?
attachment.php

They worked hard!! not one puncture between 7 vehicles, but we did have two de-beads
attachment.php

Uys

Observer
Rocks, Rocks and more rocks.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And then I got stuck.....

attachment.php

attachment.php

And in the process I bent my Panhard rod....

attachment.php

This this was the end of day one, and we had to look for a spot where 7 cars would fit in, which is also flat enough to make camp. The road was the only option, and somehow we weren't to worried about oncoming traffic.

attachment.php

attachment.php

nice cup of "Boere troos" (farmers comfort) before we got going on more potent stuff

attachment.php

Some were tired, but didn't want to miss the action.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Uys

Observer
The night was freezing and we didn't feel like showering before going to bed. Early next morning we rose and had good old fashioned shower! We carry a 20litre gas/22V geyser with a 12V pump that deliver water at 4 bar that, I build into a portable box, on all our trips.

Since there weren't to many spying eyes, we decided to trade the cubicle for a shower with a view..... Yip! Starkers! In Nature! Can this get any better?

attachment.php

Some of the members of the group got bored and took a couple of nice photos:

attachment.php

attachment.php

And then back to reality! We had a long day and wanted to finish today so that we can drive to a couple of Waterfalls tomorrow. We we started...

With this:
attachment.php

attachment.php

About two hours later, the first of a couple of breakdowns for the day caught up with us. See that small patch of corn in the background, that is were we camped last night.

attachment.php

The Hilux's left frot wheel fell in love with the right... the attraction was something else...

So we all got underneath and started fixing the Lux.

attachment.php

The tie rod got bend when Nico bounced the SASed Hilux over a rock. He drove it to a place where it was "relatively" flat so that we could fix it. A quick pull with a ratchet strap and we were on our way. For about 10m. When it bend again. The rule in our group is:We never leave one of our own behind! So myself and Andre decided to carry on and find a nice breakfast spot, leaving them behind.
attachment.php

The rest also left Nico and came for breakfast, since he was alone he had no other option that to drive the crooked eyed Hilux to the top of the hill to fix it there. See, e didn't leave him alone in the end.

We had a breath taking 360 degree view from the top,
attachment.php

and while we admired it, Nico and christo got cracking on reinforcing the tierod with a highlift jack ladder and other misc stuff Christo carries in the approximately 250kg worth of spares ont eh back of his Ford.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

By the time they finished this, we finished our breakfast and got going.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Uys

Observer
Ok, so all the cars were running and we had no issues.... except maybe for the D3 that had some issues to get through that very very simple easy flat obstacle in the previous post. But other that that, no problems.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And then all of a sudden!! Check the travel on this stock standard Fortuner of mine! Ghee, they the guys at Toyota really know how to optimize suspensions for offroad conditions.
attachment.php

The only problem here is that the wheel tends to pull the fender flairs and wheel arch liners straight of the vehicle. Or is that really the only problem? NO! A Further in depth investigation revealed a broken panhard rod on the Fortuner. Oi!

And the D3 definitely didn't perform as it should.

So it was time for a in depth discussion on our current position.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Yip!! We discussed the latest FHM models, politics and the Flyhalf for the the Rugby world cup in November in New Zealand.

Then we got working on fixing the problems.

Removing the Panhard rod(s)

attachment.php

Now if only we had a piece of pipe to join the two pieces with. Like a high lift jack handle, but we may need the jack again later. But wait.... Nico's cannot be used later on. Yes, that's the piece of pipe we are looking for.

attachment.php

We got working on the repair.

Some sawing:
attachment.php

hammering:
attachment.php

and welding. Welding? Yes, welding. No, we do not carry welders along, but batteries, we've got plenty of those. Jumpers? Yes sir! Glasses? Next time!

attachment.php

for now, there sunglasses in series will have to make do!
attachment.php

two batteries were just to weak to get a decent arc going.

attachment.php

Three worked like a charm, 1900A and 36V behind the rod did the job!
attachment.php

attachment.php

I even stacked some coins, we almost.

attachment.php

And back it goes!

attachment.php

Last edited:

Uys

Observer
Andre apparently had a talking tot he D3 while we were repairing the panhard rod, and her locker and TC is now working again. So we set off into the great unknown again. Well, It wasn't really unknown, we knew exactly what was ahead, more of this:

attachment.php

and more:

attachment.php

and then some more:

attachment.php

more:

attachment.php

attachment.php

at some point a man has to take his shovel for a walk into the field.

attachment.php

I was happy to report afterward that the fruit sticks did their job!

And then we got to it! The climb that tested us, and our vehicles. The one that was planted there by panel beaters to catch out unsuspecting and innocent overland travelers like us.

attachment.php

I realize it doesn't look like much one here, but wait until you get to the real thing. It took us 3 hours to get all 7 vehicles through this 300m rock garden.

Planning the approach: (well actually laughing at Nico and Christo who had some difficulty to make it)

attachment.php

The two SASed vehicles:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Eventually we all made it. But it was getting dark and we had another 4km to go. So we weren't going to finish today, and had to make camp again.

spikemd

Explorer
Awesome pics! Very cool trip.

I can't believe you welded with the batteries! :Wow1:

I guess I will bring some welding rod with me from now on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal