Back country adventures with kids...how do you do it?

Fergie

Expedition Leader
At 9.5 months old, we took our little girl on a 10 day camping trip through CA with us, and she absolutely loved it.

She loved the food:
FarewellCaliforniaJune2009017.jpg

Loved the vehicle:
FarewellCaliforniaJune2009133.jpg

Since she wasnt walking, she was in the carrier a lot, but didnt mind it:
FarewellCaliforniaJune2009109.jpg

And she took her first steps in Yosemite:
FarewellCaliforniaJune2009129.jpg

Just plan extra time in the day for stops and rests. Plan your driving around their nap time...free quiet time!

We have skipped DVDs and just engage the kiddo the best we can.

Have a blast, be cautious, but not too much so.

cellularsteve2

Adventurer
Great post everyone. We just had our first and he is now 3 months old. We are planning our first weekend getaway next month. We will go to a state or county campground within 2 hours of home that has some facilities. Then if that goes well we will go to the backcountry which I prefer.

steve:victory:

M

modelbuilder

This also might be an option for you. Coming from someone who works with kids all day but does not have any of his own this is what I can only dream of on some days.

in%2Bcar%2Btied%2Bdown.jpg

davidv

Observer
All really good ideas. Here are a few others that have worked for us traveling with our 4 and 2 year old.

- Leave at 5 am if your kids will sleep in their car seats. By breakfast time you have 3 hours of driving out of the way.

- Water. A lake or river is endless entertainment for any kid.

- Have a treat drawer. We have dedicated drawer in the camper full of treats they don't get at home.

Bottom line is we have discovered that kids are natural campers and end up teaching us how to relax in the wilderness.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
My wife has been hesitant to go tent-camping with our little guy, I think it mostly has to do were her being somewhat of a germa-phobe. lol

Her concerns are centered around bathing and changing him, as well as his safety while we sleep. (Him getting his own little area, but we still able to closely monitor him.)
And also, I snore - BADLY.
I have sleep apnea so if we are all in the same room, I need to have the CPAP machine on, or the little guy doesn't sleep, which means none of us sleep. lol
On our first camping trip, I might have to sleep in the truck, and let them stay in the tent together. :wings:

The road trip part is fine for all of us, he likes looking out the window, and I had downloaded some of his kid-vids onto my netbook, and he gets engrossed in those for 30-minute stretches. Between a nap, a vid, a snack, he was able to stay in his car seat for 4 hour stretches last summer.
I think he was already a little bit used to staying put, my wife's parents live an hour away, and we have driven there at least once a month pretty much since he was born.
Like others have mentioned, start taking short trips early in their life, and they will be great.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
........And also, I snore - BADLY.
I have sleep apnea so if we are all in the same room, I need to have the CPAP machine on, or the little guy doesn't sleep, which means none of us sleep. lol
On our first camping trip, I might have to sleep in the truck, and let them stay in the tent together. :wings:........

I picked up a 12VDC adaptor for my CPAP machine and use it when my wife or Son join me. I skip it when camping alone but the CPAP keeps me from snoring and let's my tent companions get some good sleep. :sombrero:

Moody

Needs to get out more
One thing to consider when camping with infants or very young children is bringing along a small inflatable pool to use inside your tent. Make your child's bed in it, and it provides a 'nest' of sorts that helps them feel more safe and comfortable. Think of it as a portable crib. You can even include some of their favorite stuffed friends to make it feel like home.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
My wife has been hesitant to go tent-camping with our little guy, I think it mostly has to do were her being somewhat of a germa-phobe. lol

Her concerns are centered around bathing and changing him, as well as his safety while we sleep. (Him getting his own little area, but we still able to closely monitor him.)

Bah, kids these days need to eat more dirt. 100 years ago, kids were born in a barn, nobody was alergic to anything, etc. ;)

Personally, I feel safer with my kids eating dirt out in the woods than from the floor of the daycare, public washrooms, etc.

The sleeping thing is an interesting point. We have yet to figure that one out for our littlest one. The inflatable pool is an interesting idea, but I haven't seen one that small? I was going to think about having my wife make up some kind of mini-crib out of foam and fabric. It would sit at the foot of our bed.

We used to have (and don't laugh) an Eddie Bauer play yard thing that had a tent cover over it. It was good for outside to keep the bugs off, but my wife destroyed it one day trying to pack it away...

MTDuke

great ideas here....

Prior to kids, my wife and i enjoyed a freewheeling outdoor lifestyle in Montana. Every weekend we were in the driftboat or raft fishing or hitting whitewater, fall was bird hunting with pointing dogs, deer hunting to fill the freezer, duck hunting, skiing...you get the point.

With our first child (now 4 years old) we decided that if we wanted to preserve this lifestyle we needed to set ourselves up to take kids with the amenities they need and keep us sane. A blizzard in a tent is no fun, cold, wet kids are unhappy. Cooking, warming milk for the baby (#2 is 6 months) etcc...

We had a one ton truck and our solution was to buy a Lance pickup camper. We got the smallest model possible so it is not so cumbersome on backroads (no 4-wheeling though). Hot water for baths, fridge, toilet, furnace, and yep.....flatpanel TV for Disney. There was a time when I would have spoken against the TV, but in all honesty its a lifesaver for bedtime movies or days when outside play is limited. Also, a small honda generator is good for boondocking which is our preference.

We have great family times. Wife and I trade off outside the camper chasing game or fishing while the other watches kids She has a dog, so do I so they both get birds. We have been skiing this winter with our 4 yo...one stays in the warm camper with the baby while the other skis with the older kiddo. Most places we go we see no one until we decide we want to.

Its the most fun I can imagine (well, maybe bonefishing on Andros....).

Without the camper I think this would be hard. Kids dont have much patience so having camp setup wherever you stop is great. Kids get dirty real fast. We bring 4 changes of clothes per day. Someone mentioned toys...we bring bikes and tractors and shovels in our dog trailer. Kids get showered before bed and sometimes during the day. Lots of food, lots of drinks.

From my lurking, I'm sure some on here are less maintenance than we are. But, we are 4 season heavy activity outdoor people and with small kids a lot of what we like to do would be impossible without a wide range of features.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Lots of good advice. I agree with pretty much all of it, particularly the point about having your wife read this thread and some of the sites referenced also. My family started camping when my daughter was about 2, my son was 4 and my wife, who had camped as a girl but not since then. Now we set out with her in charge of events as Mom instead of as just a child participant. It was a an eagerly anticipated moment for me. As luck would have it, it rained almost none stop for 7 straight days. The end result....they loved it! It's all about attitude....and preparation.

Travel, Camping, Overlanding, and Trail Runs are distinctly different activities when it comes to families. You pack differently, prepare differently, and plan differently.

As Dad, it's your job to listen. The stamina of others with you will dictate. Hiking almost to the destination is just as good as getting there, because the key is that you are out hiking with your family, right? Don't over due it. Keep things fresh, that will keep the attitudes positive, and that keeps the memories of the trip positive, and that leads to more trips.

Before you know it, you will go from this:
Y04-055.jpg

To this:
585338589_xZZE5-XL.jpg

I am very fortunate to have married a brilliant mother. My wife makes travel fun for all of us, and is super intuitive on the kid's needs and moods. It is my job to listen to her. I am working on it :)

People have mentioned taking frequent breaks. The key really is "cadence". There is a rhythm for these different activities. My house is about 11 hours to Moab, typically a one day straight shot, but with the family, it's a two day trek. We will stop and go into restaurants, hit a few attractions/museums along the way, and quite frankly, enjoy the trip a lot more. Bring pillows, real ones.
Y04-010.jpg

Bring stuffed animals, bring Magnadoodles, bring Madlibs, and all sorts of stuff like that. I personally don't use the DVD player much, only on really long trips (like from CA to Colorado). Its more important to me to get them all playing with creativity, or looking outside, or singing, etc... Everything is a learning opportunity.

On the Trail, the kids need to get out of the vehicle frequently. There are typically a lot of opportunities for that. It doesn't take much time to unstrap them and put them back in, as long as they obey you and come running back to the vehicle when it's time to round everyone back up. This is important!

When Camping, kids love to get dirty, and often very wet! Bring lots of spare clothes, and spare shoes. Bring BooBoo candy. Teach them about which bugs are fun to play with, and what to avoid. For my kids, the challenge was to teach them to leave spiders alone. They are fascinated by them, but can't distinguish from safe or harmless varieties. They are all off limits because of this. It is really important to lay down the law on stuff like this, and there needs to be penalties if they "forget". With a few carefully established and heavily reinforced rules, you can relax so much more and just let them wander and play!

Letting your kids play with frogs, squirrels, lady bugs, dragonflies etc...that's the magic right there. Climbing rocks, playing in streams, falling into those streams and getting muddy is what its all about. That's what they will remember.

169531719_X4ZEU-L-1.jpg

Keep them comfortable. Warm sleeping bags are a must. The kids will be very adaptable, and after a full day of play (or travel) will sleep hard after an hour or so of running around like Tasmanian Devils, but pamper the wife! Listen to her needs when it comes to comfort. Those expensive sleeping bags are worth it! Make sleeping in the tent fun. Most families don't sleep together in the house, so a shared tent experience can be special.

tent_fun-12.jpg

697223133_BHTeR-L.jpg

Be sensitive to altitude. I love life above 10,000 feet, but altitude hits everyone differently, and at different times. On one trip to 11,000 feet, I was hurting that first day with massive headache. Second day, all was well, third day in, my daughter succumbed to altitude sickness, announced by throwing up on MY sleeping bag. You need to adjust your itinerary to these things. Instead of fishing or hiking, she rehydrated and slept most of the day. Fourth day was a blast for both of us. Learn to deal with this.
169531844_Gvusx-L-1.jpg

Prepare for the cold. Bring a lot more than you can imagine using, and be thankful when you have it!
523252687_WALus-L.jpg

Travel with other families if possible, or at least with other parents that have kids, even if the kids are not along with. They will understand your pace so much more!

Not too long ago we did the Mojave Trail with a few others with kids all within about 5 years of age to each other. That is a long day of pavement, followed by 3 days of constant trail driving. A recipe for cabin fever with kids for sure. They loved it, want to go back. The key is to let them play. Rocks are plentiful, and they never tire of climbing them. On that particular trip, we let the kids play with the radios so that they could talk from car to car, and we were treated to a very interesting "radio theater" version of Star Wars. The other parents in the group enjoyed it in a wry, understanding sort of humor, and the non-parents were amazed and befuddled by it, but were gracious enough to tolerate it :)
191482108_czFqg-L.jpg

I will echo the repeat comment others have stated. Start now, get out and do it. You will not regret it.

Y04-033.jpg

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
One thing to consider when camping with infants or very young children is bringing along a small inflatable pool to use inside your tent. Make your child's bed in it, and it provides a 'nest' of sorts that helps them feel more safe and comfortable. Think of it as a portable crib. You can even include some of their favorite stuffed friends to make it feel like home.

Brilliant.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
Thanks for bringing this up, I like to take the wife and kid places (paved) but sometimes it really just back fires on me. I have been trying to figure out how to take them on a back country trip for some time now.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Bah, kids these days need to eat more dirt. 100 years ago, kids were born in a barn, nobody was alergic to anything, etc. ;)

Personally, I feel safer with my kids eating dirt out in the woods than from the floor of the daycare, public washrooms, etc.

The sleeping thing is an interesting point. We have yet to figure that one out for our littlest one. The inflatable pool is an interesting idea, but I haven't seen one that small?

I agree with you about wilderness dirt VS. the floor in a department store or whatever he picked up and decided to eat when we were shopping last weekend! lol
He does have peanut allergies though, so we do actually have to be pretty cautious about it.

With the inflatable pool... The smallest I've probably seen is about 4 foot in diameter. Maybe you could pinch off some of the sidewall so it wouldn't actually inflate all of the material, and take up less space?
Not sure, but worth looking into...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL