Backup/reverse lights: thoughts?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I ended up picking up a "shorty" Mr. Long Arm. It goes from 2.5 to 3.5 feet, or something like that. Maybe it's 4-5 feet. Anyway, the point was, I was afraid that the standard LongArm would put the light at roof height at the shortest, and end up being quite high when extended. I wanted the "parked" position of the light to be just above the rear tires, and the extended position to be just above the roof height. This will accomplish that.

It's also the point with the locking holes which seems much more stout than the screw lock type.

Another thing, the head actually unlocks and comes off. Will make it handy to chuck it in the lathe to turn the thread into something useful, and also could make the light section removable, maybe so it could be a hand-held unit for searching.

kjp1969

Explorer
Another thing, the head actually unlocks and comes off. Will make it handy to chuck it in the lathe to turn the thread into something useful

Be warned, the coarse thread that's supposed to screw into a paint roller handle is a cast piece that is also hollow. It's around 9/16's in diameter, so I just drilled down the center of it, then dropped a piece of 3/8's allthread down the inside and out the hole I drilled. Then I dropped a piece of tubing down over the coarse thread and snugged a nut and washer down on either end of the all thread.

That didn't make a bit of sense, did it? My point is, if you assume that the coarse thread on the end of the Longarm is solid and that you can shave it down and use a die to cut, say 1/2" threads, you might be in for a surprise.

mrbishi

Adventurer
I have one and find it very useful.

I don't have it wired up into my reverse circuit - in my opinion you don't need to. In most urban situations you won't need it when reversing and when you do offroad you just flick a switch and turn it on.

I've found it to be awesome for setting up camp after dark - the light that comes off mine is outstanding - a really bright even spread that lights up quite a massive area!

Here's a picture of how I have mine mounted - it allows it to pivot left and right and up and down. Definitely a very worthwhile mod!

challenger-13.jpg

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Here ya go!...

FLYFISHEXPERT said:
So does anybody have any pictures of these installed?

These lights do the trick when I am in the field...They are great and you can add some additional 'sleeves' to direct them at an angle. I don't remember what the greatest angle is though...

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Enjoy,

BWJ

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I don't know if this has already been asked, but what about LED options? I know the light output won't be that great, but maybe a strip of them across the bumper? I'm looking for more of a low profile light in the back and some LED's drilled into the rear bumper would be cool, if that will work.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not yet, but one of the easiest ways to wire a light so that it can be switched from multiple sources is to give it a constant (fused) +12V and switch the ground.

If you switch the positive in more than one place, when more than one switch is "activated" you will have a feedback loop that will just circulate electricity around without actually powering the light.

With a switched ground, you can have as many switches "activated" at one time as you want because all you are doing is supplying a path to ground.

This is how all my lights are wired, driving lights included.

diesel_jim

On the back of (all) of the land rovers I've had, I've fitted a pair of work lights.

They're easy to wire in, I take a feed from the reverse light switch on the gearbox (the "switched" side... not the live side) and also a permanent feed from behind the dash somewhere (with a fuse in it)

Using a 3 way switch and a relay, I can select "off" , "on" or "auto"

The middle terminal of said 3-way switch (sometimes called the "common" connection) goes to the coil of the relay, then to ground.

the other two terminals, you connect one to the reverse switch cable, and the other to the permanent live. you can add a warning light too, take the feed from the middle "common" connection, through the warning light, then to ground.

On the relay, we've just connected the coil up (from the above switch), so you then take another feed from the battery (via a fuse!) through the switch terminals of the relay, then run a cable down to the rear light, through the bulbs, and to ground.

job done!

Here's the lights on the back of my 110, I made a loom up with the light feeds and my radio aerial, CB antenna and GPS aerial all in one.

Attachments

• HPIM5898.JPG
    HPIM5898.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 112
  • HPIM5900.JPG
    HPIM5900.JPG
    413.6 KB · Views: 78

h301ff

i have a hella utility/ tractor light. it works great, but i only have it on the drivers side underneath the rear bumper. Dont know if i should add another one on the other side.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
I wired up a pair of Hella 550s a buddy of mine wasn't using on the back of the rack. I don't have them wired to come on when I'm in reverse, instead I wired them seperately and mainly use them for scene lighting and setting up camp at night.
DSC05208.jpg

dustboy

Explorer
I don't know if this has already been asked, but what about LED options? I know the light output won't be that great, but maybe a strip of them across the bumper? I'm looking for more of a low profile light in the back and some LED's drilled into the rear bumper would be cool, if that will work.

You mean like Night Rider?

"Michael, my suspension system is not equipped for these rocks. Would you like to use the Jet Thrusters?"

Seriously, though I have a couple thoughts for this thread:

1. By law, do these lights have to be covered like rally lights?

2. If it's set up to run off the reverse lamp circuit, most vehicles will still power the reverse lamps when the motor isn't running, if the key is at run and the gearshift is in reverse. So then you could use it to set up camp without running the engine, no relay/extra switch/accidental blinding required.

tacomaharry

I like the mounting and the size of the light shown below, But I would want more of a FLOOD Light.

Does anyone know if anyone makes one ?

BuiltIn_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad