Backup/reverse lights: thoughts?

Superu

Explorer
I use one of these.

IMG00128.jpg

IMG00143.jpg"

Controlled by this.

IMG00129.jpg

Although, in the past I've had good luck with the White Night.

600_P5222672.jpg

2pics.jpg

Last edited:

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Great pix Miller! Just need to fab up the telescoping idea. Mmm, wonder if an old camera tripod leg might work.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:Astrologist: Same thing, only BLACK, with manual/remote 370 degree rotation , 500,000 candlepower

Comes in much more handy than FIXED lights

Operate it from a campfire, up to 200 yds away, or from inside the vehicle

:26_7_2: :gunt: JIMBO

miller_au

Adventurer
The BN Guy said:
Great pix Miller! Just need to fab up the telescoping idea. Mmm, wonder if an old camera tripod leg might work.

yeah could work, i think the simplest idea is the bottom pic as "R_Lefebvre" mentioned. 2 lengths of square stock one slightly smaller than the other then drill a hole in the outside "sleeve" weld a nut to it, weld a handle to a bolt and bingo your away!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I almost picked up some tractor work lights last night, but noticed they were supposed to be a "spot" pattern instead of a "flood" pattern. I think flood would be better for this application?

kjp1969

Explorer
From the 90% utility/ 10% cost department:

This should be a good one. I picked up a fiberglass/aluminum extendable paint roller handle at OSH yesterday:
7700.jpg

It's 2' closed, and 4' open, and a reasonable $13. It looks pretty rugged, its rustproof, and it's nice and tight whether dogged down or up. It's sort of like a single leg of a tripod.

I plan on mounting it on the spare tire carrier, and mounting a flood light on the top. Down, the light will be approximately the height of the top of the spare tire. Up, it will be about 6" overhead, which should be pretty much above the eye-line when at camp. More to follow.

eugene

Explorer
I was looking at doing a telescoping pole like that. I think the best material would be electrical conduit, use two of the metal tubes, one smaller than the other by 1/4" diameter then use a plastic peice as a bushing and use add a coupler on the top replacing the screw with a thumb or hand screw.

eugene

Explorer
Lynn said:
I had a 3" tractor work light mounted on the back of my Jeep, not through the reverse lights. I think that's illegal in a lot of places.

Where did you find a 3" tractor light, all I can fine are 4" and I have a 3" hole I want to put one.

kjp1969

Explorer
eugene said:
I was looking at doing a telescoping pole like that. I think the best material would be electrical conduit, use two of the metal tubes, one smaller than the other by 1/4" diameter then use a plastic peice as a bushing and use add a coupler on the top replacing the screw with a thumb or hand screw.

I was thinking about the same thing, but conduit is kind of flimsy. Check out the paint roller pole I linked above- it's exactly what I was hoping for. Aluminum and fiberglass too, so no rust issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad

Members online