Backup/reverse lights: thoughts?

gjackson

FRGS
I mounted my rear lights up high. Give good directed spread when backing up, but also gives great light for repair operations and camping operations. I found with low lights that you can't do much in the back of the truck using that light and you also get blinded when looking the wrong way.

Lights are Hella FF330s and are located on the rear of the roof-rack.

cheers

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
The highmount is a good option. The light is up out of harms way.
You are right that the light up high is much more useable for camp lighting and offers perhaps better lighting for a wide area when backing.

On the back of our engines we have two sets of three lamps called Nightfighters.

FL3SF_e.jpg

Switchable flood/spot lighting. They make great back up lighting. Having them 360 degree directable and on a telescoping pole is not always and option for every vehicle, but might be something to consider for a large expedition vehicle.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Scenic WonderRunner said:
Hey Mark.........

oops....am I too late?

I just found this kinda Kewl light tonight.

It's by Optilux and it's under their "work lamp" listings.

I thought I would share it. I have no idea where to buy it or how much it cost's.

Built-In Projector Style Work Lamp..........

BuiltIn_b.jpg
I recently bought a pair of those from www.RallyLights.com. Hopefully I'll have them installed within a couple of weeks, and I'll report back when I do.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Mark..........

And anyone else who can find this useful.

I finally found my link for some LED rock lights.............

41008304.jpg

The world's brightest 1 watt Luxeon LED in a compact 12V DC platform.

Low amp draw and a light weight construction gives this super bright LED many areas of utilization as a functional light source and a crowd pleaser!
The applications for these LED's are endless. Use them to light your interior, your wheel wells, under the hood, under your rig or anywhere you need low voltage lighting.

- Aluminum LED bracket measures 1" wide by 4.250" long and .375" high
- 180 degrees of light dispersion comes from this Luxeon LED
- Draws only 350 milliamps of 12V DC power
- 100% waterproof and virtually indestructible
- Illuminate an area approximately 6 feet by 6 feet squared
- A 50,000 hour life span should outlast your vehicle

Each LED includes 7 foot of 16 gauge wiring harness, fuse and mounting screws.

After extensive testing installed as rock lights on a 4x4 vehicle, we were able to leave 8 of these LED's on overnight and it started in the morning!
Ground effects lighting for visual assistance!

Limited lifetime warranty.

Made in the USA.

Lights are cool. Get your lights on today! Product recommendation: RLEDSS01 LED Strobe Switch See "Electrical" section of our web site

Scott Brady

Founder
I use the Matador's by Hella. One on the swing-out and one on the drivers side. The rear runs off of a switch in the cab.

When the swing-out is "swung", it ligts up the tent side of the truck also.

I have had issues with the switches falling out of the lights though.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
One of the things I've been looking for are the work lights like they have on the rear bars in Oz. Can't find anything here in the States. Anyone have any links to something like it?

d110pickup

SE Expedition Society
articulate said:
Yes too late, I'm not accepting any more posts. ;)
Okay, just kidding. Those look like nice lights. Very nice. They'd probably do the trick, too. I like the idea of a smaller light, but I like the idea of a $15-$30 light even better. A nice little guy tucked on the rear frame for a bargain would be ideal. These look like they'd be a great size for that application.

:beer:

On sale at 4wdonline for $12.74 each.

I think this fits into your "$15-$30" budget.
Cheers

d110pickup

SE Expedition Society
expeditionswest said:
Mike,

Welcome! If you do have a D110 Pick-up, then add this too: :clapsmile :bowdown:

Yep, I've got an ex-MOD (British Military) 2 door soft top. It's a 1990 with the 3.5 V8 and I've just completed swapping in a ZF auto out of a RR. My bad knees did not like the clutch any longer.
Here's a photo.

I also have a 1994 5 speed Disco for sale; here's a link and photo.
http://solaros.com/smf_production/index.php?topic=2219.0

Last edited:

david despain

Adventurer
is this for the frontier? i wanted to either use the trailer lights harness cause its right there, no vehicle butchery required, i can use it as the turn on signal for a relay or just use it for all power if i only used a small low watt lamp and not 2 big work lamps, etc.
i have been looking at this as well and one item of interest is:
even if u dont have the tailer towing package from the factory, which add some relays so all the wiring works, some of the wiring does work! this includes reverse. there are two connectors on the frame at the rear on the drivers side. the one for reverse is a rectangle shaped pin. without using the whole connector it shouldnt be too hard to find the correct pin at an parts store or whatever and just use the one pin to get power for lights.
just something to think about

also im thinking about building a "cage/rack" to be quick mount dismounted on the slide and lock rail against the cab and putting the lights on that. sorta like graham mentioned to get them up higher but i dont know how well that will work because everything below the tailgate will be in a shadow. spose i could just mount them to the roof rack rear rail. the guys at work want me to put them in the tubes at the rear. that would be kinda cool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad

Members online