Bantam T3-C in Louisiana

Mdmeltdown

Hey guys, getting back on this awesome forum. I've got a 1946 Bantam T3-C I have slowly been building up over the years. Fortunately, mine wasn't cut-up or rusted out too bad so I didn't have to do too much fixing. The goal was to created a "matched set" Jeep and trailer after I restored my CJ5. I'm kind of there on both accounts at this point. It's at the point now where the trailer is restored, more or less. I ended up getting the original hitch and tongue setup back to original including an updated 2" Fulton ball coupler. I also went with quasi OE style Model A tail light on both sides. It also has the original Kelsey Hayes 16" solid jeep wheels and 6.00x16 NDT's. I took an M38 Army Jeep tail gate spare tire mount and with an additional brace, mounted the spare under the floor. That is very nice and simple.

Here's a pic a few years old during the build. After I sandblasted the trailer, it ended up with a full POR 15 coat. Looked good for a while, but I think that expoxy is like the wicked witch of the north with any time in the sun. I destroyed the finish and I didn't even store it outside.

Bantam Trailer_2.jpg

Here's what I don't like about these original Bantam's that all these companies are copying 65 years later.
1. The tongue is way too short. A seasoned truck driver can jack knife this trailer quick
2. The actual payload capability is terrible
3. Adding any weight above the rim of the trailer tub makes it VERY top heavy and throws the center of gravity way off. (racks, RTT's etc.)
- I've got a rack above now that I built with removable cross bars and a basket. I have a pirogue (Louisiana kayak), that I put on there. I almost wrecked it taking mounted up top because it was so top heavy.

Here's some action shots of what it looks like now. I't painted "Light Khaki Metallic with a color matched bedliner.
Does anyone have a shop that makes a simple cover for these trailers? I'm pretty sure they are the same dimensions up to the M416. I've got a boat place here but they want $100 to make a simple rectangle cover.
IMG_4198.jpgDSC_0434.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy