Barefoot & Homeless at Last...Adventures of a Young Sasquatch

dieselbigot

Adventurer
'Tis better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission, or Carpe Diem or whatever other cliche you need to get you going.
I'm guessing the job thing will sort itself out for anyone who takes the plunge and you'd be better off in the end.
My .02

So I have a question, What did you do in your corporate life? What is your plan when your next employer sees a 1 or 2 year gap in your employment history? I'd love to start doing what you're doing but have my reservations as far as future jobs.

Awesome pics and loving the detailed write ups!

I was in software sales before becoming smelly homeless person :). I hear what you are saying about the employment gap thing, but to be perfectly honest I'm really not too worried about getting back in the rat race. I performed well enough that I kinda feel like I earned the right to do this. Maybe false hope or over-confidence....I guess we will see at the end of the year when I try to figure out my next move :)

dieselbigot

Adventurer
'Tis better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission, or Carpe Diem or whatever other cliche you need to get you going.
I'm guessing the job thing will sort itself out for anyone who takes the plunge and you'd be better off in the end.
My .02

Truck is looking good man! Enjoy the road!

Love the thread! Keep up the great work!

You are living the dream man! Well at least my dream...

Congrats to you. I hope to some day do something very similar. Nice choice of expo rig too.

Be safe and keep this thread updated. I'm living vicariously thru you.

Durwin

Thanks for all the kind words guys. This still all seems surreal to me that I'm actually doing this. I have literally dreamed of it for years as I sat at my desk working 14 and 16 hour days for way too long. I know this for sure, there will never be a "right time" to quit your job and follow something like this. You just jump off and hope the water isn't shallow when you land....So far, so good!

dieselbigot

Adventurer
The Black Hills - Thunder Storms and the Cutest Cop in North Dakota

I broke camp early from my spot on the Laramie River with my sights set on South Dakota’s Black Hills. The plan was to get to the south end of the park, find a spot to camp, then spend the following day doing the Black Hills tourist thing.

I passed through Laramie WY and made a brief stop for fuel and water before hitting the road. As I left town, I noticed an old Prison that looked interesting, so I pulled a U-turn and found my way to the Wyoming Territorial Penitentiary. The prison was built in 1872 and is now maintained by a historical society. For $5 bucks you can do a self-guided tour, and since Butch Cassidy was incarcerated here, I figured what the hell…must be wort˙ $5 bucks, ya? It’s really nice NOT being on a timeline when you travel :).

As I left Laramie in my rear view mirror, the landscape became expectantly bleak and prairie-like with a few sections of interesting rock formations and alpine desert mountains. It would not get scenic again until the Black Hills. I closed in on the park around dinner time and just wanted to find a place to post up as huge thunder storms were rolling in. I knew going into this that remote dispursed camping was going to be hard to find, so I pulled into Wind Cave campground and found a spot. About 10 minutes after setting up my awning, I was so happy to have it. The skies opened and dumped torrential rain with the bonus of hail nailing my hands as I held onto the awning aluminum pole structure so it wouldn’t rip off the side of my truck :)

The storm passed 20 minutes later giving me a window to set up my RTT and make-shift kitchen. I cooked up some food, cleaned up, then settled into a couple of episodes of the Soprano’s S1 which I had downloaded at home to help keep me occupied when I had no connection. I had not watched Soprano’s since 1999…so it was all new. Another favorite HBO series of mine was Deadwood, so of course I was excited to see the actual town the following morning.

On the way to Deadwood I made the obligatory stops at the mountain carvings of Crazy Horse and Rushmore memorials in that order. After seeing the scale and vision of Crazy Horse, I have to say Rushmore was a let-down. Crazy Horse was started in 1948 by sculptor Korczak Ziolkowski and is still 50-75yrs from completion. It’s frigging huge and the long-term vision is ambitious.

There is actually some amazing country in this area. The granite rock outcroppings flanked by ponderosa pines and sweeping views are beautiful. The only problem is remote access (zero) and the sheer number of people. Despite California being one of the most populist states, you can still get away from people if you have a small, capable rig and know where to go.

After a day of being a tourist, I wound up in Rapid City SD. With no viable camping options in the area and rain brewing, I elected to grab my second hotel room. With shelter and connection, I was able to get through some deferred personal business and set up for my push north to from SD to Canada. This part of the trip would have been a complete snooze-fest had it not been for my notorious habit of speeding. The topography between Rapid City and Fargo is of course a vast expanse of nothingness…bald-*** prairie. I was maintaining 85-90mph on a very lonely section of two lane when I crested a hill and saw the first patrol car I’d seen in 4 days.

As I flew past the Dodge Charger with roof cherries I knew I’d been had. A quick glance in the rear view mirror confirmed my hunch. I immediately pulled over and gathered my paperwork for presentation. I rolled down my window and was greeted by simply the cutest blonde haired, green eyed female state trooper I’d ever seen in my life. As I handed over my papers she started asking my about my truck, where I was going, where I’d been, when would I get there etc. We chatted a bit and I told her I was really hoping that I could get a warning…like I had not seen another car for hours, so speeding was almost an involuntary Pavlovian response to my surroundings. To my relief she agreed and told me I would not be getting a ticket. We chatted a bit more before she received a radio call she had to respond to (maybe someone was tipping cows) :).

The rest of the drive to Fargo was boring as hell…so no stopping for photo’s…no need. Now I’m hunkered down in what I believe is the only campground in or near Fargo. I have a river view (good), nobody on either side of me (good) and the sweet soft sounds of Interstate 94 a few hundred yards away. I miss the open spaces in the west…which is why I’ll never live anywhere else.

Tomorrow is up through northern the boarder crossing at Baudette MN, then up through Sioux Narrows and to the family cottage at Longbow lake. Time for fishing!
Cheers,
B
IMG_4046.jpgIMG_4032.jpgIMG_4022.jpg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I was in software sales before becoming smelly homeless person :). I hear what you are saying about the employment gap thing, but to be perfectly honest I'm really not too worried about getting back in the rat race. I performed well enough that I kinda feel like I earned the right to do this. Maybe false hope or over-confidence....I guess we will see at the end of the year when I try to figure out my next move :)

Good for you! I don't quite have balls to pick up and leave it all behind.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Looking good my friend! Sorry to miss you when you came through Durango. Look forward to seeing you when you are heading South. Keep the trip reports coming!

dieselbigot

Adventurer
Thx guys! The cell signal where I am is sketchy at best...but I'll post an update tomorrow when I get into a town to take care of some personal business and laundry :). Meantime, I'm off for a SUP paddle
B

dar395

Adventurer
So I have a question, What did you do in your corporate life? What is your plan when your next employer sees a 1 or 2 year gap in your employment history? I'd love to start doing what you're doing but have my reservations as far as future jobs.

Awesome pics and loving the detailed write ups!

I think I'd just tell it like it is "I chose not to sit at the desk and wait my turn to Die!"

sg1

Adventurer
Right. Do not wait too long. I retired 6 years ago at age 55. I needed almost a year to build my camper. Since then I have been on the road for 5 years ( Africa, Europe, North and Latin America) and enjoyed every moment. Have fun on your trip. The only problem you will have is to get back to "normal" life.
Stefan

dieselbigot

Adventurer
Right. Do not wait too long. I retired 6 years ago at age 55. I needed almost a year to build my camper. Since then I have been on the road for 5 years ( Africa, Europe, North and Latin America) and enjoyed every moment. Have fun on your trip. The only problem you will have is to get back to "normal" life.
Stefan

Exactly Stefan! The timing will never be "right". Just start planning and make it happen. Your trip sounds amazing and I will be following in you footsteps some day soon. I'm dying to see the rest of the world...but one step at a time.
Cheers,
B

dieselbigot

Adventurer
Fargo to Longbow Lake - Walleye Fishing - Polar Bears and Whales

I broke camp last Thursday morning and headed east for Minnesota. The start of the drive was as boring as the rest of the Dakota’s (outside Back Hills), until I actually hit MN. The flat plaines gave way to thick forrest and finally cottage country and lakes started to appear from the landscape. It was really quite a beautiful area. A few hours later I made it to the boarder crossing at Baudette MN & the Rainy River indian reservation in Ontario.

Before I left home I debated bringing my .44 as back-up for nosey bears in some of the more remote area’s I’d be camping in. But with no way to legally declare (or carry) a gun in Canada, and knowing the stiff penalties if caught trying to sneak one in made me decide it was not worth the risk. Turns out I could have had a Scud missile under a baby blanket in the back of my truck and they could have cared less :)…the only thing they were worried about is how much booze or tobacco products I may have on board so they could tax me.

After paying $9 in duty for bringing in a 1.75l of whiskey and a box of cigars, I was on my way. From the boarder crossing, the drive up through Sioux Narrows to the family cottage at Longbow lake is slow going but very scenic…if you are going to have to endure a top speed limit of 30-50mph for 200 miles, I suppose this is as good a place as any.

The first few days at the cottage were about visiting with family, eating, drinking, swimming, boating, SUPing…all the things you would expect to do at a waterfront cottage. There is a town close-by (Kenora ON) and this past weekend was Harbourfest. Antique boat shows, car shows, music events were all taken in. Not exactly roughing it or overlanding, but fun none the less.
IMG_4103.jpgIMG_4113.jpgIMG_4097.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal