Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

DCH109

Adventurer
Thank you for this. I was looking for a way to mount my Nato fuel can to my JK on the MORryde hinges. I have the Rotopax mount with a 3 gallon cell, while it seems like a lot, I am more comfortable with the 5 gallon.
So a little project coming up!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The next microprocessor experiment: pitch & roll detection. There are several applications for this - the simplest of which is a dash display that shows the current angles of pitch and roll of the Jeep. Maybe with some warnings when the Jeep gets far enough off-camber to be dangerous. Another application would be self-leveling air springs which would keep the Jeep as level as possible on the trail.

The components for this experiment are very simple - a 3-axis accelerometer and a microprocessor. The accelerometer was less than $3. I'm using a smaller microprocessor this time - last time I used an Arduino UNO and this time I'm using a Adruino Nano Every. The Nano has almost the same capabilities as the UNO in a much smaller package. There are only 4 wires required to connect the two. I zip-tied the electronics on top of a 1:18 scale Jeep:

PitchAndRollOnTJ1.jpg

PitchAndRollOnTJ2.jpg

To dislay the current pitch and roll, for this test I'm just going to use the computer screen - the Adruino will communicate with the computer through a USB connection (which also supplies the power to the electronics) and the data will be scrolled in a window on the Arduino development environment on the computer.

PitchAndRollOnTestSetup.jpg

Check it out in action in this next video. I've tried to focus the camera on the scrolling display on the screen to show the pitch and roll readings, so please excuse the poor focus on the model Jeep, the important part of the video is the serial output on the computer showing the pitch and roll. The next step is to replace the computer monitor with a small display. You might need to view this on a computer display, not sure the output on my laptop screen will be easily visible on a smart phone.

If I were to complete this as a dash-mounted pitch & roll indicator, there are quite a few display options that are compatible with the Arduino. A simple small OLED display like the one I used for the airbag prototype could be used, but it's not large enough to display much more than just the numbers. A larger graphic display could perhaps the angles graphically as well as numerically.

I'm not sure where I'll end up with these microprocessor experiments is but I still have a few more components to try out so I'll keep experimenting and maybe I'll end up with something useful.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm always interested in designs for improving the utility of an overland vehicle (or trailer) at the campsite. I designed the Trail Kitchen specifically because I didn't think the vehicle kitchen systems at the time were functional enough, compact enough or affordable enough and luckily MORryde agreed and picked up the design.

Now I'm doing several small design projects for Tentrax trailers (https://www.tentrax.com/), one of which involves a tabletop that clips on to the side MOLLE panels I designed for them a few years ago. The tabletop will have a provision for a collapsible sink. As part of that project they sent me a Dometic Faucet and "Hydration Water Jug"; they would like the faucet to work with the tabletop/collapsible sink I'm doing for them.

DometicFaucet.jpg

The faucet has a magnetic base and is powered through a USB connection. I haven't tested it yet but I can easily test it with the MORryde Trail Kitchen - the Trail Kitchen power panel has two USB outputs.

The faucet comes with a silicone hose that has a quick-connect fitting on the end. That connector matches a quick-connect fitting on top of the jug. The jug holds 11 liters, which is just under 3 gallons, a pretty good amount of water for a camp sink.

DometicJug.jpg

Tentrax hasn't asked me to integrate the "jug" into the project, but I'll see how I can work it in. I'm used to using Rotopax containers with the Trail Kitchen and they work very well and the slim size of the Rotopax is easy to store in, outside or on the Tentrax trailer or a Jeep. I'm not sure where I'd store the jug on a Jeep, and even less sure where I'd put it on/in the compact Tentrax trailer. The jug violates one of my prime rules of design for Jeep/overland accessories - don't make anything arbitrarily different if there's a standard or convention that could dictate the design. Here's what I mean - jerry can carriers of many types are very common in the Jeep, overland and camping worlds. Does the jug fit in a jerry can carrier?

DometicJug2.jpg

Sort of, but it's a tight fit, in the photo above it's at an angle because I haven't forced it down into the Blitz tray. It does fit, but tightly. And it's not as wide as a jerry can. So you could carry it in a jerry can carrier like the Blitz, but it's arbitrarily different. If I were designing the jug, I'd either make it more compatible with the size of a jerry can, or perhaps make it more like a Rotopax, because there are lots of solutions for those. But Dometic didn't ask me :).

It isn't important for the Tentrax project, but I may swap the Dometic quick-connect fitting on the faucet for one compatible with the MORryde Trail Kitchen sink option, that way if I like the faucet I can use it with the Trail Kitchen.

After receiving the Dometic items, I suggested to Tentrax that they offer a Rotopax adapter for the faucet - many Tentrax trailer owners have already implemented Rotopax mounts on their trailers, so if the Dometic faucet was plug-compatible with a Rotopax it might make sense for those people. The quick-connect fitting Dometic uses on the faucet is commercially available, and MORryde already makes a Rotopax adapter, so all of the necessary parts to adapt the Dometic faucet to a Rotopax already exist, no new engineering necessary.

If anyone has used these Dometic products, let me know what you think of them. Maybe you'll have ideas that I can adapt into this project.

Tentrax has also asked me to design weather-resistant storage bags to mount on the MOLLE panels on the outside of the trailer. I didn't expect my prototype work a few weeks ago on the theft-resistant/weather-resistant bags to be useful so soon, but I'll be doing a variation of that design work adapted to the size and shape of the trailer MOLLE panels. I'll post more about that once I sew a prototype.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Shortly after I completed the prototype theft-resistant/weather resistant storage bags a few weeks ago (a few posts starting at: https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/barn-door-for-jk-factory-hardtops.127687/post-3112155) I got a call from Tentrax, in case you haven't heard of them they're a trailer company that's been doing compact off-road capable camp trailers since 2001. A few photos of one of their trailers:

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

A few years ago I designed MOLLE panels for them that mount on the sides of the trailer and these days most trailers they build for customers include them:

TraxMollePrepro1.jpg

One of the things Tentrax called me about is side tables that mount to the MOLLE panels so I'm adapting the MORryde Trail Kitchen clip-on table design to the Tentrax panels. The other thing we talked about is storage bags to hang on the panels, I suggested they be based on the design details of the bags I posted earlier in this thread.

The bags I've designed for their panels have the buckles on the inside to make them theft-resistant just like the prototypes I showed earlier in this thread. I'm also using puncture-resistant zipper stock so the bags can't be opened with a pen when they're locked. There are two pulls on the zipper so those pulls can be locked together with a small padlock. The bags are made from the same weather-resistant fabric as the Overland Outfitter "Storage on the Spare" products, so they can stay on the trailer full time in all weather.

I sent Tentrax this concept image to get their approval before I sewed a prototype bag:

SideBagsLarge.jpg

I don't have a trailer here but I do have one of the MOLLE panels so I'll have to show photos of the prototype bag on just the panel.

SideBag3.jpg

Under the flap is the puncture-resistant zipper, shown locked in this photo:

SideBagLocked.jpg

The buckles are on the inside so the bags can't be unbuckled if you can't get inside the bag:

SideBagBucklesInside.jpg

Nothing to undo on the outside of the bag, this is a view from behind the MOLLE panel:

SideBagBackView.jpg

I had no idea a few weeks ago that I'd be turning the prototype ideas I posted about a few weeks ago into product for a trailer company. Tentrax plans to unveil these bags at their upcoming Tentrax Owners Weekend camping retreat in Uwharrie National Forest in North Carolina in September. They've invited me to the event, I don't have a Tentrax trailer but maybe I'll throw the roof top tent on top of the Jeep and join them.

Zeep

Adventurer
That's quite a innovative design you came up with. Your sewing skills are very impressive.
Good work!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That's quite a innovative design you came up with. Your sewing skills are very impressive.
Good work!
Thank you very much. My sewing skills look very weak once the craftsmen at Overland Outfitters turn my prototypes into production products, but at least I'm good enough to create prototypes for them to copy and perfect :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
One of the nice things about the new Overland Outfitters Storage on the Spare system is its modularity. I'm heading for NYC tomorrow to spend the day riding bicycles around Manhattan with one of my sons, it's a father/son thing we do several times each year. Normally I have 3 bags on the back of the JKU:

SOSonJKU.jpg

I needed to put the bike rack on, and because the storage system is modular and because I also have a bike rack that slips into receivers that are mounted to the MORryde Tailgate Reinforcement, it took about a minute to remove the SpareHopper bag behind the spare and slide the bike rack into the receivers on the tailgate reinforcement. The SpareSide bags can remain in place.

SOSandBikeOnJKU.jpg

Also since the bike rack mounts to the tailgate reinforcement, there's no restriction on opening the rear barn door to access the cargo area - the bike rack swings with the barn door.

SOSandBikeOnJKUOpen.jpg

BTW if I wanted to also keep the SpareHopper bag in place I could have put the bike on the outer position of the bike rack, both can coexist, but I wasn't going to need the SpareHopper bag tomorrow so it was just as easy to unclip it, leaving all of the positions on the bike rack free.

Very convenient for trips like the one tomorrow.

jgaz

Adventurer
Your bike rack is such a slick design.
I can’t believe that no company has picked that up for sale.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Your bike rack is such a slick design.
I can’t believe that no company has picked that up for sale.
It's one of my very favorite hardware designs. It's so compact - the rack is small enough to fit under the back seat of a Jeep, yet it holds two bikes and it swings with the tailgate. And the receivers on the tailgate can be used for other types of racks or cargo - I've made an over-spare rack basket that mounts in them and jerry/Rotopax carriers that slide into the receivers.

BikeRack5.jpg

I suppose I should offer it to a bike rack company to see if there's any interest.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
It's one of my very favorite hardware designs. It's so compact - the rack is small enough to fit under the back seat of a Jeep, yet it holds two bikes and it swings with the tailgate. And the receivers on the tailgate can be used for other types of racks or cargo - I've made an over-spare rack basket that mounts in them and jerry/Rotopax carriers that slide into the receivers.

BikeRack5.jpg

I suppose I should offer it to a bike rack company to see if there's any interest.
This is a solution that really works. I'm swapping my spare tire trash bag for a yakima bike rack this afternoon, again. Depending on where we go it's one or the other and it would be nice if it was easier and didn't involve pulling the spare tire off.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This is a solution that really works. I'm swapping my spare tire trash bag for a yakima bike rack this afternoon, again. Depending on where we go it's one or the other and it would be nice if it was easier and didn't involve pulling the spare tire off.
Thanks. Too many Jeep companies don't think about the many ways we use our Jeeps and how to make reconfiguration easier. Easy swapping was one of my design goals for both the Storage on the Spare system and the bike rack. The Sparehopper bag attaches with 4 clips while the webbing around the tire stays in place, and the bike rack just slips into receivers held in place with the spare carrier bolts. The receivers never have to come off, they're up against the tailgate so they don't interfere with anything, and the storage system mounts can stay on the tire all the time and the bags can clip on/unclip whenever you need them on or off.

jgaz

Adventurer
Thanks. Too many Jeep companies don't think about the many ways we use our Jeeps and how to make reconfiguration easier. Easy swapping was one of my design goals for both the Storage on the Spare system and the bike rack. The Sparehopper bag attaches with 4 clips while the webbing around the tire stays in place, and the bike rack just slips into receivers held in place with the spare carrier bolts. The receivers never have to come off, they're up against the tailgate so they don't interfere with anything, and the storage system mounts can stay on the tire all the time and the bags can clip on/unclip whenever you need them on or off.
This is the result when the people that design a product actually use the product.
It goes along why in the automotive business we used to refer to an engineer as a “car guy”. Car guy was a good thing IMO

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This is the result when the people that design a product actually use the product.
It goes along why in the automotive business we used to refer to an engineer as a “car guy”. Car guy was a good thing IMO
This is why I started designing Jeep things. Whenever I needed something, I looked at what was on the market at the time and never found anything that met all of my needs, and that's still true today. Rather than compromise on a product that I wouldn't be completely happy with, I decided to build something that really met my needs and I've been designing my own Jeep accessories ever since.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If you've seen my other thread, you know that I'm cleaning out my storage area, downsizing and offering things I don't need to others (https://forum.expeditionportal.com/...sign-and-fabrication-time-to-downsize.240135/).

I came across these small LED pod lights today, I had completely forgotten that I had them.

CampLights1.jpg

I decided that I did have a use for them, so I wired them together and to a power plug and mounted them to spring clamps.

CampLights2.jpg

They're perfect now as campsite lights. They clamp to the roof rack, which in this photo is in its storage position hanging above the Jeep - no need to install it just to test these.

CampLights3.jpg

CampLights4.jpg

The power plug goes into the Trail Kitchen power panel (the Trail Kitchen also isn't in the Jeep right now either):

CampLights5.jpg

The wire is long enough so I can clamp the lights anywhere on the rack - the back, the sides, even the front.

I'm storing them in a small MOLLE bag mounted to the MOLLE side of the Trail Kitchen. It's the green bag; the camo bag below it holds extra cans of Butane for my stove and the Rotopax is for the Trail Kitchen sink option. Since I'll only need them when I'm using the Trail Kitchen, it's the perfect place to store them. All very efficient.

CampLights6.jpg

A quick project and a very good use for some pod lights I had forgotten I had.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Those lights are a great idea! The only improvement I can see is if you could find a wiring harness that was twisted like a land line phone cord so that it would expand or shrink to keep it's form without migrating all over the place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179