Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Update on the JK Safari Cab project: I've been waiting for the glass to be cut and tempered, and it was supposed to be available over 2 weeks ago but a few delays came up with the tempering process. It hasn't been urgent since for the last two weeks I've been in Colorado enjoying some trail time.

I was told today that the glass is more-or-less ready and I can pick it up Monday morning. I say more-or-less because one of the vent windows broke in the tempering process and had to be remade. So Monday I'll pick up 6 of the 7 pieces of glass, hopefully the replacement vent window will be in later in the week. This won't delay the installation of the Safari Cab on the Jeep though, because the vent windows are based on Toyota FJ-40 vent windows and I've got some original FJ glass on hand. It's clear and my new glass is tinted, but I can install everything with the one clear vent and swap it in minutes when I get the tinted one.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hope the Colorado vacation is going awesome! :beer:

Looking forward to seeing the Safari top complete, and on the Jeep.

Thanks. Just got back today, had 9 days/over 200 miles off pavement. Great trip. Was driving the LJ Safari:

Cliffhanger2_zpsmhezpm7k.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
When I got home from my Colorado trip yesterday, a pre-production retrofit kit was waiting for me. I did a quick test in with the prototype window frame in a test panel, and everything fits as designed. The first production run of the retrofit kit and the slider window can now happen.

PreProRetrofitKit_zpscnxo6c7c.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Really looking forward to these becoming available.

Nice work.

Thanks. Now it's just a matter of the company getting everything organized to put the retail product together - getting the windows and retrofit kits manufactured, getting the required supplies together (weatherstrip, etc.) to ship with the kit, organizing the packaging and documentation, getting their marketing for the kit ready to go and their web site ready to accept orders... I can take a background role in this project now, it's in the company's hands.

(Well, not quite a background role, I've got a little work to do to finalize the details of the 2dr kits :)).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Installed the tinted/tempered window glass today.

Barn door and rear panel. Wiper and washer is also installed.

GlassInstalled4_zps6exbrt2n.jpg

Side panels. One of the vent windows is clear glass; the glass place broke the tinted one they cut during the tempering process so while I wait for the replacement I've installed a clear original from an FJ40. They hope to have the replacement for me later this week.

GlassInstalled5_zpsrb8kfesc.jpg

The vent window open...

GlassInstalled6_zpskzjbdz3y.jpg

And I've posted these photos before, but for reference, the tinted Alpine windows are a pretty good match for the new glass.

AlpineWindows6_zpscp2aax3p.jpg

AlpineWindows1_zpslbgv9qee.jpg

There's really nothing left to do except install the finished hardtop on the Jeep (and replace the clear vent window when the tinted one arrives).

thechadwick

I just have to say this is without a doubt one of the most well crafted mods I've seen on a jeep or any vehicle really. I've followed since the initial post and through each of the myriad side projects you've been pursuing all the while and I am really glad you've posted so regularly and exhaustively. Despite the weekly "how much does it cost?" or "when is it going to be for sale?" questions you seem to get, I'm happy you continue to post and give such a unique glimpse into the design process it takes to go from an idea, to a sketch, to a mock-up, and then to a finished product. Its enthusiasts like you who make being a jeep owner fun and different than any other vehicle I've owned. I often wish many of the factory parts on my truck were built to the same level of quality your designs are executed to. Can't wait for the rhino grill thread to take off (but that one will be especially difficult to see if it isn't destined for production for an FSJ lover). BTW what's going on with the weather stripping on the top left corner of the rear hatch? does it fit like the factory top does with the new barn door?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I just have to say this is without a doubt one of the most well crafted mods I've seen on a jeep or any vehicle really. I've followed since the initial post and through each of the myriad side projects you've been pursuing all the while and I am really glad you've posted so regularly and exhaustively. Despite the weekly "how much does it cost?" or "when is it going to be for sale?" questions you seem to get, I'm happy you continue to post and give such a unique glimpse into the design process it takes to go from an idea, to a sketch, to a mock-up, and then to a finished product. Its enthusiasts like you who make being a jeep owner fun and different than any other vehicle I've owned. I often wish many of the factory parts on my truck were built to the same level of quality your designs are executed to. Can't wait for the rhino grill thread to take off (but that one will be especially difficult to see if it isn't destined for production for an FSJ lover). BTW what's going on with the weather stripping on the top left corner of the rear hatch? does it fit like the factory top does with the new barn door?

Thank you very much!

The barn door weatherstrip is exactly the same shape as the factory weatherstrip, take a look at a factory hardtop and you'll see it's the same - it follows the corner in the same way the weatherstrip on the Safari Cab does. The Safari Cab uses the factory weatherstrip part, although it's the later model wide hatch weatherstrip even though the Safari Cab barn door opening matches the earlier model narrow hatch. I wrote about it here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...for-JK-factory-hardtops?p=2087759#post2087759. The factory weatherstrip will only seal properly with the factory hatch because there's a matching piece of weatherstrip on the hatch, if you check that post you'll see how the later model factory weatherstrip works perfectly for the barn door.

Also, in the photo I posted yesterday showing the barn door and the rear panel on the carpet, the barn door is sitting a bit lower than it will when it's on the Jeep, and it isn't pushed into the opening by the closed tailgate, so the weatherstrip is more visible that it will be when everything is on the Jeep.

I've got one or two more parts to collect before I start the Retro Rhino project and I'm toying with the idea of buying another JK just for that project. The JKU the Safari Cab is going on is my wife's daily driver and I can't disrupt her use of it too much.

And it's always possible that the Retro Rhino front clip kit could end up being a commercial product, if some company takes a liking to it and wants to market it I'll be happy to discuss it with them.

thechadwick

That makes sense with the door sitting lower, excited to see it in place on the truck! I was this close to purchasing a Grand Wagoneer about 3 months ago. There is just something noble about a full sized jeep that hasn't really been on the market since. Given the increased width of the rhino nose are you considering a one-piece grill-hood-fender setup? I'm a big fan of pie plates and with 7" headlights space seems real tight up front. I have access to some pretty sophisticated milling equipment, I could almost see scanning a plate, scaling it down, and milling a mini plate being a viable option if you're so inclined. If Mopar Underground hasn't sent you a letter they're remiss. To see a modern version of this (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280&page=37) on a JKU platform would be such a hit.
-All the best

jscherb

Expedition Leader
That makes sense with the door sitting lower, excited to see it in place on the truck! I was this close to purchasing a Grand Wagoneer about 3 months ago. There is just something noble about a full sized jeep that hasn't really been on the market since. Given the increased width of the rhino nose are you considering a one-piece grill-hood-fender setup? I'm a big fan of pie plates and with 7" headlights space seems real tight up front. I have access to some pretty sophisticated milling equipment, I could almost see scanning a plate, scaling it down, and milling a mini plate being a viable option if you're so inclined. If Mopar Underground hasn't sent you a letter they're remiss. To see a modern version of this (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280&page=37) on a JKU platform would be such a hit.
-All the best

The Retro Rhino kit will have separate hood, fenders, cowl panel and grille panel. The "Rhino" grille will be scaled down. My current design calls for "selective scaling" of the elements on the front panel, it's actually possible to use original pie plates by tightening up the spacing of the various elements. This image illustrates the selective scaling - the headlights are still 7", the pie plates are original FSJ items, the center grille is scaled down and the spacing is tightened up. I actually like it better tightened up vs. the original which I think has too much real estate between the elements.

SelectiveScaling2_zps492ec260.jpg

As for a modern version on a JKU platform, this is my interpretation with a Safari Cab hardtop. This concept uses the MOPAR Underground front clip rather than the selectively scaled one above, I really like what M.U. did with their interpretation but I'm going for the slightly more "retro" look of the one above. I just used the M.U. front clip for this concept image because it was easier than drawing the selectively scaled one in perspective.

RetroRhinoSafariW_zpsggqxekif.jpg

I'll be doing the scaled grille in fiberglass, since the original was unpolished aluminum that finish is very easy to duplicate in fiberglass, same with the pie plates - if I decide I need to scale them they'll be easy to do in fiberglass and give an aluminum finish.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Haven't been able to get my hands on Heather's JKU long enough to do the Safari Cab install yet, about all I've been able to do so far is swap the factory spare carrier for one that I've cut the "brake on a stake" off of. Since the Safari Cab has a third brake light on the roof panel, we don't need factory third brake light in the way of the view out back anymore.

ModifiedSpareCarrier_zpstlwqccw2.jpg

Sorry that's all I have to report about the Safari Cab installation so far. The JKU is scheduled to be in my hands for the first half of next week, so the Safari Cab will get installed on Monday.

YankeeSailor

When I got home from my Colorado trip yesterday, a pre-production retrofit kit was waiting for me. I did a quick test in with the prototype window frame in a test panel, and everything fits as designed. The first production run of the retrofit kit and the slider window can now happen.

PreProRetrofitKit_zpscnxo6c7c.jpg
"Pre-production", as in, a vendor is considering manufacturing and selling them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater