Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hi Tom, and welcome.
The table looks pretty much like what I had envisioned. I like your idea to mount the quick fists.
Maybe add a slide out cutting board on the table, like some of the other commercial versions.
In looking at the standard drawer setups out there (made to clear the subwoofer), it looks like the drawer will open without hitting the tailgate.
For those that use a full width bed drawer, they would need a slimline version. Maybe just the flat table cutout for molle pouches.

Looking forward to following along with your progress as you get it mounted up and functional.

Scott

TCook

Hi Tom, and welcome.
The table looks pretty much like what I had envisioned. I like your idea to mount the quick fists.
Maybe add a slide out cutting board on the table, like some of the other commercial versions.
In looking at the standard drawer setups out there (made to clear the subwoofer), it looks like the drawer will open without hitting the tailgate.
For those that use a full width bed drawer, they would need a slimline version. Maybe just the flat table cutout for molle pouches.

Looking forward to following along with your progress as you get it mounted up and functional.

Scott

Thanks for the welcome and feedback. I've read Expedition Portal for awhile and learned a lot that I used on my trip to Moab last year. It's nice to be able to contribute now and hopefully help others.

Like Jeff's other designs I was looking to make a unit that someone could make in their garage. The main frame of the system is made of a t-slot aluminum extrusion unlike all the other steel or aluminum formed and welded units out there. This is commercially available and can be ordered to cut lengths from a manufacturer so someone could literally purchase, drill a few holes and assemble. I do have access to a few machine shops so I chose to make the molle and main frame support from an aluminum machined plate but you could use individual brackets available from the manufacturer or make a frame from plywood.

Due to the extrusion being solid I'll have to think about how to incorporate a slide out cutting board. To keep costs down I was looking at making the tabletop from a plastic cutting board since it comes in the right length and would be easy to cut and drill.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow showing just the frame and some more ideas.

TCook

Jeff was able to make me a picture of my wide barn door color matched on my Jeep before he left. I know which way I'm leaning but what does everyone think, Anvil or Black?

photo-789886.JPG

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Black, no question.

With an entire color-matching hard top it would make sense to go body colored, but with the black top, it looks way better in black.

-Dan

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Definitely black. That would be my choice.
Have you given thought to what you want to do for a rear window?
Would be awesome to find a window that slides down from the top.

Thanks for clarifying your table/mount idea. I was thinking it was something you were drawing up for a company to manufacture, like the Barndoor.
I like your idea. It looks easy to construct and mount.

BTW: I have an anvil JKU as well. So looking forward to see how yours comes out.
Have you decided on a window style yet?

TCook

Definitely black. That would be my choice.
Have you given thought to what you want to do for a rear window?
Would be awesome to find a window that slides down from the top.

BTW: I have an anvil JKU as well. So looking forward to see how yours comes out.
Have you decided on a window style yet?

I live in the snowy north and my wife gets the garage since my Dinoot is parked on the other side. I am going with the solid tinted rear window with wiper and an aftermarket defroster on my barn door. I like the options of the sliders but would probably just pull the whole barn door off.

TCook

Thanks for clarifying your table/mount idea. I was thinking it was something you were drawing up for a company to manufacture, like the Barndoor.
I like your idea. It looks easy to construct and mount.

If someone is interested I'd be happy to help them design one but it should be easy enough to construct. Here is an additional image of the basic frame so you can see the basically unlimited amount options due to the slots.

Basic%2BFrame-725799.png

With those slots you could mount any accessory like shown here with some Molle slots on the left side of the basic mount.

Additional%2BItems-720200.png

TCook

More progress today on the ModuluS system. The main frame plate and table molle plate drawings went out for machining today. Placed the order for a custom cut to size plastic cutting board top for the table and I'm reviewing my drawings tonight to make sure everything is correct to order the extrusion and hardware tomorrow.

In the meantime some packages arrived today. I received my assortment of Molle pouches to try different configurations on the plates plus do weight tests and the wiper motor for my barn door arrived.

photo%2B1-757698.JPG

photo%2B2-760904.JPG

Jurfie

Adventurer
What a cool idea to incorporate the table and mounts with the barn door attachment! And thanks for the ideas for the DIYers here...sometimes it is more rewarding to build something rather than just buy and bolt.

TCook

What a cool idea to incorporate the table and mounts with the barn door attachment! And thanks for the ideas for the DIYers here...sometimes it is more rewarding to build something rather than just buy and bolt.

Thanks, this is why I enjoy and I have followed so many of Jeff's designs. All his designs are based around a DIYer, sometimes you may need to just learn a new skill or five to keep up with him though :) I am so appreciative for letting me help with the construction of the barn door. His inputs/ideas into the mounting system and other designs have been invaluable, hopefully I can get the opportunity to continue to work on future projects with him.

If anyone is building their own tailgate system based on the idea and something isn't clear feel free to ask. It may not always be the cheapest route making something yourself but you almost always get to customize to what you want.

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
If someone is interested I'd be happy to help them design one but it should be easy enough to construct. Here is an additional image of the basic frame so you can see the basically unlimited amount options due to the slots.

Basic%2BFrame-725799.png

With those slots you could mount any accessory like shown here with some Molle slots on the left side of the basic mount.

Additional%2BItems-720200.png

I like that.

TCook

First Look: Third Brake Light Pod

As Jeff said I am working on a third brake light pod as the current third brake light would need to be moved when the wiper motor is installed (the shaft is too long). I am hoping to get feedback from the community on the style of light as well as the look and design.

The design incorporates a surface mount LED third brake light and two surface mount LED light bars that could be wired to a dome switch, back up lights or an independent switch. I've always wanted extra light especially for camping or setting up the roof top tent in the dark.

There are two styles shown below, a long pod and a short pod with different end styles and LED light bars.

Third%2BBrake%2BPod%2BLong-762846.png

Short%2BBrake%2BPod-759465.png

Here is a straight on rear view of the long pod.

Brake%2BPod%2BRear%2BView-749077.png

Here is a straight on rear view of the short pod.

Third%2BBrake%2BPod%2BShort%2BRear%2BView-726152.png

And a side view showing the protrusion from the rear of the hardtop.

Brake%2BPod%2BSide%2BView-755246.png

The system is designed to cover the hinge recesses left from the barn door. There will be a small slot on the bottom side in the hinge areas to get an open end wrench on a hex bolt. As you can see hinge recess plates like Jeff posted before would cover the chamfer that goes around the window.

I'm working to keep the protrusion to a minimum so that the rear glass hatch would also work with the pod so anyone could use this to relocate their third brake light and add auxiliary lighting.

Comments and suggestions are welcome including additional options for surface mount LED Light Bars.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy

Members online