Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
We also got the barn door installed on Tom's Jeep and he drove home with it. He'll be running with it for the next week or so to test it.

In this first photo we've got the barn door installed although the wiper arm isn't on yet.

BarnDoorInstalled1_zps670abb5f.jpg

Here's the inside of the mounted door. The defroster grid is installed; the wires will be dressed a little neater when we reassemble the door after painting. You can see how the wiring runs from the tub to the door; the wiring cover contains the factory wiring for the third brake light, as well as our wiring for the wiper and defroster, and the hose for the washer. And of course Tom's ModuluS accessory mounting system is installed on the inside of the tailgate, and it also serves as the barn door mount.

BarnDoorInstalled2_zps804599df.jpg

I took this next photo sitting in the driver's seat, this is the view out of the rear view mirror. It's nice to not have the factory wiper motor blocking the view. The biggest view blocker now seems to be the rear seat headrests.

RearViewMirror_zps1c377993.jpg

Tom will get some better photos over the next few days; it was getting late when we finished up so we didn't spend too much time getting photos tonight.

Jurfie

Adventurer
I took this next photo sitting in the driver's seat, this is the view out of the rear view mirror. It's nice to not have the factory wiper motor blocking the view. The biggest view blocker now seems to be the rear seat headrests.

RearViewMirror_zps1c377993.jpg

Wow, what an improvement! I hate that stupid wiper motor blocking an already limited view.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Any more thoughts on mounting an antenna on the roof?

If the question is will I design a sheet metal plate into the roof panel to serve as an antenna ground plane, no, I don't plan to do that. I personally don't need it, and since I'm not aware of any fiberglass hardtop that's ever been offered with it, I guess demand for it would be very small.

But you reminded me, I need to make up an antenna mount that will bolt to the heavy-duty hinges, I'll get that done tomorrow.

Thanks.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Speaking of antennas...

To mount a CB antenna directly to the heavy-duty hinges and/or accessory rack system, all it takes is a very simple bracket:

CBMoiunt1_zps6cf1f42d.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've gotten some questions from people asking if I plan to do a 2dr version of the JK Safari Cab, so here's my current answer...

At the moment I'm concentrating on making the molds for the JKU, but a lot of what I'm doing applies to the 2dr as well - the barn door will work with the 2dr, as will all of the hardware - the heavy-duty hinges and accessory rack stuff. And the rear panel with the opera windows is the same for both versions.

I have done some design work to determine what changes would be required in order to make a 2dr version though, and I know what would be necessary to make the shorter roof and longer side panels for the 2dr. I don't have any plans to make those molds, but if a company wanted to licensed the Safari Cab for production, and wanted to also do a 2dr version, I could help them do that. A one-off 2dr top could be made in the JKU molds with a little extra work so I could make a prototype to test, although you'd never do it that way for production.

Here are a few concept drawings of the 2dr version. The side window in the first drawing is the same length as the JKU side window, and the 2dr has a separate vent window at the back of the side panel. I did that so the same windows could be used in both the JKU and 2dr versions, which would be cost-efficient.

2drSideViewHardSides_zps2d10f76e.jpg

2drSideViewSoftSides_zps9e0c5c8c.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I often get requests to draw concepts on a photo of the requesting person's Jeep, and I usually try my best to accommodate the request. Here's jeepwrnglr92's JKU with a matching Dinoot Compact trailer set up with a roof-top-tent for camping. He didn't ask for a Safari Cab as well, but I just had to install one...

jeepwrnglr92-1_zpsde6dd8a0.jpg

Last edited:

gorillamel

Dirty Blonde
That looks FANTASTIC and gives me warm feelings in my nether-regions. :Wow1:

3tapsu.jpg

Agreed. My 2 door needs this.
Needs, not wants.

OMG YES! I second/third that. Reading this thread just makes me wish I had the Unlimited version so that I can have this option, haha. I absolutely love reading all of your creative ideas. If I had endless amounts of cash (or a Sugar Daddy), I'd be all over this like...well, like something inappropriate and awesome.

vladimer

Is there a plan to sell just the barn door potion as a kit without the safari top? Definitely want the barn door! Don't quite need the whole new top though.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Is there a plan to sell just the barn door potion as a kit without the safari top? Definitely want the barn door! Don't quite need the whole new top though.

I don't have a plan to sell either the JK Safari Cab or the barn door, I'm not in business, I just design and build these things as a hobby.

Many of my designs do end up as production products though - but for that to happen some company/person will have to sign up to bring these to market. So far two companies have expressed interest in the barn door and JK Safari Cab designs, so we'll have to see what develops from that initial interest.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few more concept drawings of what the 2dr JK Safari Cab would look like. The first uses the same side slider side windows as the JKU Safari Cab will have, so the longer 2dr sides allow room for kick-out vent windows in the back:

2drRear34c_zpsf0992421.jpg

This one has full-length side slider windows:

2drRear34b_zpsbbb50a33.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy