Basic m416 Build

njsjeep

Observer
This isn't so much a build thread as just a basic trailer refurbishing story. I have a Jeep Wrangler TJ and wanted the additional cargo capacity of a light weight off road capable utility trailer. Lurking here at EP reading various threads I decided an m416 would work well. Unfortunately, no one really suggested how hard they are to find in usable condition. So after several months of searching I managed to track one down out in Northern California. Unfortunately I live in Colorado and taking the time off from work to drive out and pick it up wasn't feasible. I had it shipped here by listing it on Uship.com; the shipping cost was almost the price of the trailer. So anyway, I got my hands on an m416 that was complete including the lights. The tub was in fair shape, not too many dings but a few areas of deep rust and everything had about 10 layers of paint. I was anxious to get going and not having a sandblaster around I decided to strip the tub by hand using a heat gun and various scrapers. This is a miserable process and not one I suggest anyone try but after about 40 hours of work I managed to get most of the tub down to bare metal. I used a several rust/paint remover wheels in a drill on corners and non-flat areas. I then primed and painted the tub. The first three pictures show the original trailer and various stages of tub paint stripping.

to be continued in next post

Attachments

• 1 pic.jpg
    1 pic.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 2 pic.jpg
    2 pic.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 3 pic.jpg
    3 pic.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 79

njsjeep

Observer
After all the fun of hand stripping the tub I decided to get the frame and other parts sandblasted. The next pics show the painted tub, original frame and various stages of priming and painting. The wheels and fenders, just behind the frame, are bare sandblasted metal. I primed and painted everything with spray can Rustoleum Professional red primer and gloss black paint.

Attachments

• 4 pic.jpg
    4 pic.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 5 pic.jpg
    5 pic.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 6 pic.jpg
    6 pic.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 87

njsjeep

Observer
The last step was putting everything back together. I used only a few of the original bolts and replaced everything else with either grade 8 or stainless hardware. I used basic LED lights and ran the wiring through vinyl tubing for protection. The hand brake was moved over and a turnbuckle added. I cut off the safety chains and used a plastic coated cable and rated stainless steel hardware. I just need to paint the wheels, put on the hub caps and get a home built title. I'll see how it works for me this spring and then decide on future modifications. The last three pictures show the "completed" trailer.

Attachments

• 9 pic.jpg
    9 pic.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 8 pic.jpg
    8 pic.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 7 pic.jpg
    7 pic.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 95

telwyn

Adventurer
Nice job!

Welcome to ExPo!

Turned out pretty darn well! Great job on the trailer.

My only concern (and I'm not an expert on this) is the toxicity of the military paint and any exposure you had in removing it. Hate to bring that up after the fact, but I think it warrants sharing.

Again, great job!

njsjeep

Observer
I figured the paint was lead based at best and had probably had other nasty toxic chemicals as well so I wore a coverall, impervious gloves, eye protection and a half face respirator filter mask and vacuumed everything regularly. I bagged up all the shavings, still have them, and also cleaned off the tools. I tried to sweep up all the dust and work outside as much as possible as well, There is still some residue in the garage but I plan to clean this up as I find it. Thanks for the concern.

telwyn

Adventurer
Good to hear! You are better prepared than I would have been...

Meant to ask this earlier - what is the bar pictured under the front of the trailer just behind the tongue? Looks like it extends all the way across the width of the tub on the bottom. Is it some sort of brush bar protection?

njsjeep

Observer
Some m416 trailers have steel rod "loops" welded on the back and front for helicopter lifting slings.

Airborne Lee

Observer
I have the USMC version of the M416 trailer. mfg date of 61.

I was told that they were for cargo straps for lifting onto ships. I guess choppers could use them as well. Us Army Airborne guys just strap a chute on the thing and jump out with it no need for no stinkin' cargo straps....

link in my signature.

njsjeep

Observer
update

Well, I added a tongue box and welded up some simple jerry can holders to mount along the sides of the box. The can holders are made to fit on a specific side. I'm waiting to pick up the latches that I had to order. I forgot to mention in the first post that I replaced the bearings and races and used truck bed liner on the tub floor.

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 74
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 99

yyc_ranger_4x4

Awesome job....it's great to see the attention people are giving these trailers. I was going to hunt for one, but I'm planning on building on in the spring.

In my limited trailer knowledge though, your safety cables, are they just a single one that is looped through a couple quick links? I was always told you needed two separate saftey cables/chains anchored to separate points on the trailer for greater control and redundancy in case they're ever needed. Keep up the great work...I hope this trailer serves you for many years!

loki646

Observer
You guys are making me jealous with these M416s in nice condition before the refurbs...:D. I got mine for a measly $150, but needs a complete bottom replacement, front passenger corner is rusted through halfway up, poorly made tailgate, welded 2" ball hitch needing to be cut off and no landing....I'm starting to think I might have to give up saving the body and just custom build off the existing frame.

But hats off to your find and re-furb, it looks great.....but I'm still jealous...:drool:

njsjeep

Observer
yyc_ranger_4x4 Yes that is just one cable. I don't plan on leaving it that way. The cables are too long so I have the other one in my car waiting to take it into Denver to have it cut and loops swaged onto the ends.

njsjeep

Observer
The box is sitting on two pieces of 1.5" square steel that are lined up with the frame arms. Everything is mounted to the trailer frame using 3/8" x 2" bolts. The nuts are inside the box and have large fender washers and neoprene washers to make a tight seal. The box seems to be stable and solid enough to support the Nato can holders I made. The can holders are the first real metal project I've ever done and turned out ok. The welds aren't the prettiest but seem to be solid. The holders have a flat side, visible on the right holder pictured, and a round side. I plan to bolt flat side of the can holders to the sides of the box. I yet haven't decided If i will use any spacers between the holder and box. If I set the holder flush, the closed lid of box prevents the can from being removed which adds to the security but might be inconvenient.

Attachments

• box mount.jpg
    box mount.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 96
  • can holders.jpg
    can holders.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 74

jamm

Observer
Nice job on the trailer.

The M416 doesn't have a very long tongue to begin with and it doesn't look like you extended yours in the pictue showing the trailer box mounted. If that is correct, I would worry about mounting the gas can holders to the sides of the box. Here's my thinking, the wider you make the tongue cross section out towards the lunette you increase your minimum turning radius. I hope I said that right but what I mean is that you will have to take a wider turn (I.E. when you turn too sharply you will crush\damage the gas cans because the rear corner of your vehicle will hit them).

I have had many instances where I needed to jackknife my trailer on narrow trails to manuever around obsticles or turn around when the trail is blocked. In your installation you limit that ability due to the extra width of the gas cans.

Just my .02 worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven