Bead Balancing tires.

U-turn

U-Turn
Thanx Overbear (sorry, couldn't find your real name). Headed to the sporting goods store then to my shop. I'll let you guys know how this goes later tonight. :roost:

roving

Observer
i had an 85 toyota with 33" tall tires. I took it to a tire shop to have them mount and "balance" the tires. The balance job was horrific to say the least.

I can't remember how how much BB's i used, but it worked great. I also used some straight antifreeze in the wheel and tire to combat some of the noise and rust. I ran it like that for 6000 miles before i sold it.

Overbear

Observer
Thanx Overbear (sorry, couldn't find your real name). Headed to the sporting goods store then to my shop. I'll let you guys know how this goes later tonight. :roost:

Hey everyone calls me Obie(OB) or Bear...ive gone by the nickname Overbear so long that even my mother calls me Obie.

Good luck, hope it works for you as well as it has for me.

U-turn

U-Turn
Well....lets just say it's probably better to leave the golf balls on the grass and out of your tires. I put 6 balls in each tire with no success. They were smooth up to 30 then shook until 45mph. From 50mph on they shook so bad I couldn't see out of my rear view mirrors. I kept speed at 60 for 10min with no sucess. Thanx OB for your help, but I decided to just balance them with normal wheel weights. My try with the golf balls was a no go.

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I use airsoft BBs in my 35s. I put 8 oz weight in each tire. It works pretty well. Balance is not quite perfect but almost...really no worse than before when the lead weights were getting beat up on rocks and such. From talking to some folks that might have been a bit too much, 6 or 7 oz might be better, but I'm not going to worry about it.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
For about four years now I have been running the Dynabeads in my personal motorcycles and Avalanche. In the fleet vehicles I have been using the heavy Airsoft pellets. All together about 20 rigs running dynamic balancing media.
They work best in a tall skinny tire. Results in the wider low profile tires have not been as good. The majority of the fleet runs 235/85-16 tires. Out of all the tires balanced I have only had one driver who complained. I went back to weights on his Tahoe. The rest are reporting smooth as butter. I am seeing improved mileage from the tires and maybe it is wishful thinking, but tread wear seems to be more even.
The Airsoft pellets do make noise when stopping as they "rain" onto the wheel. This is more noticeable on the alloy wheels. It takes a little getting used to.

I would avoid the copper coated BB route. Some amount of moisture is inevitable. The rust from dinged up BB would be a bit of a mess. I have dismounted tires with 50K and recovered the media. There is some light dust from the Airsoft pellets. The heavier black pellets do better than the next step lower weight white pellets. Overall the deterioration is minimal. I reused them. I may have some closing in on 100k of use now.
The ceramic Dynabeads have shown no deterioration.

How do I recover them. On the bike with a tube, I reuse the tube , or sacrifice it and install a new one. For the tires running Dynabeads a ladies nylon on the inlet of the shop vac , right where the hose enters the vacuum. For the Airsoft pellets a "rattle can" / paint can lid and scoop them up.

I for one, have found the benefits of dynamic balancing and will stick with it. It does work and works well. That said, I will not be using them in the rear tires of my quarter mile rig, nor the wide low profile tires of my wife's daily driver. I think they have their place.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I've been using airsoft pellets to balance my tires since I started mounting them myself about three years ago and feel they do a great job. First tires I did were worn, plugged and patched. Followed Dynabead's weight recommendation and discovered it wasn't enough, needed to add more weight to account for the repairs. On undamaged tires I usually end up putting an ounce over their recommended weight. Really like not having to worry about the tire spinning on the rim when aired down, knocking weights off or what weights do to the finish of my rims.

Overbear

Observer
Well....lets just say it's probably better to leave the golf balls on the grass and out of your tires. I put 6 balls in each tire with no success. They were smooth up to 30 then shook until 45mph. From 50mph on they shook so bad I couldn't see out of my rear view mirrors. I kept speed at 60 for 10min with no sucess. Thanx OB for your help, but I decided to just balance them with normal wheel weights. My try with the golf balls was a no go.

Sounds like they couldnt spread out enough. As others have pointed out, try airsoft pellets now. You really are going to be more happy once you find the right dynamic media vs weights. Weights just don't belong on a offroad vehical.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I have Dyna Beads Off-Road/Aggressive Pour beads in my 31" 245/75-16 E load tires, 8 oz each. The chart says 6 oz but everywhere I read reviews, they seem to recommend a few additional ounces to cure any balance problems so figured I would start with 8 oz.

Also, Innovative Balancing says that any additional weight beyond what is required to balance will not affect the balance.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm

They are okay so far, I notice a lack of balancing at times getting up to speed and occasionally at highway speeds an unbalanced feel will develop in a wheel which can usually be cured by slowing down/speeding up.

expomazda

Observer
Check out a product called CounterAct. We sell it at my work. I run it in my truck with 31's. My wifes escape with little 16 inch suv tires and I have installed it in hundreds of over the road semis with no complaints.

txfactor76

Observer
I put 35 copper BBs in each of my 33in tires and they ride like butter on the road. I forget what the formula is, but I did my research way back in the day and there's a magic number for weight per inch of tire diameter. You can google for the formula, how much a BB weighs, and go from there.

Some people use airsoft BBs or golf balls. Airsoft BBs will spread more evenly and you theoretically should get a more finely tuned balance, but I don't have issues with my copper BBs. Also, a $10 box of copper BBs will give you enough to balance a whole warehouse of tires. With airsoft BBs you'll need about $60-80 worth...

Just food for thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal