Beat to Death Roof Rack Questions?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I know this has been beat to death and all, but I'm down to two chooses when it comes to a roof rack for my Jeep. I will be moving one in the next 6 months and just need to make the final decision. It's down to the AEV or the Gobi. I know there two vary different rack systems and that is part of what is making it hard for me to decide. I only have a hard top and Really do not take it off much so that is not a concern for me. I really wish I did not even have the freedom to features. I like how clean the AEV rack looks and had pretty much made up my mind to go that way, but every time I see a Gobi rack I get wishiy washy on it again. Any pictures or personal recommendations would help. Load carry capacity is not that big a deal I will only be carrying MaxTrax and and a couple of Rotopax on it. Maybe some other light recovery gear to just trying to get some of my gear out of the cab. The Jeep is a 2012 Unlimited with AEV Bumpers at both end and the teraflex hd hinged carrier and Hilift mount.

Thanks

Nate

stuggin

Both units are top quality, but for my money the AEV's the one to get. For me it's the slightly lower form factor, better aerodynamics, the 20 lb weight savings, and the $600 cost savings that push it over the top.

That said, having seen both I do think the Gobi is quite a bit better looking, you can pull back to remove the hard/soft top (PITA to do this with the AEV, the largest drawback IMO), and also has a larger cargo floor, so it all really depends on where you place value I think.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
i dislike the AEV because of how high it sits off the top. i think its straight up ugly at that point.

i wish aev would have kept their super low profile design they initially released 'spy' shots of. i think its kind of bull**** that Dave decided to make it as high as he did because of 'snow buildup' i think that should be a choice regulated to the consumer. i reallywanted their rack to be skin to skin, or atleast as close as it could be.

ive even thought about getting the aev rack and just building my own mounts for it to suck it down as much as i could.

apalmer

Adventurer
The AEV rack makes you drill 8 holes through your hard top. 8.

That made the GOBI choice for me, very very easy.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either choice. At this level, it comes down to aesthetics, and your specific requirements. I have a full AEV build, but I specifically chose the Gobi. I like the clean AEV look, but drilling through my hardtop is a total deal breaker for me.

pennieslj

Observer
I have the AEV rack and it works great for me. That said, if our top was going to come off at all I would have went with the Gobi. The AEV is a great rack but it is not for those that want the topless part of owning a Jeep IMHO.
DSC01802_zpsf72d0ed1.jpg

greater mn

I went with the Gobi as well... have no opinion on the AEV as I don't own that one (nor does anyone that I'm on the trails with...). No compaints for the Gobi tho, I'm completely satisfied with it. I mainly went with the Gobi for the LED mount on the front and sturdy ladder racks aft. Infact, one of those very ladder racks saved my rig from a kiss from a tree this last weekend. My rig was the only one that didn't get a fairly significant ding in the rear passenger side corner as we were navigating around some down fall trees.

PIC from this last weekend... not the best picture, but hope it helps you.

JKU.jpg

HeliNomad

Adventurer
For me the AEV is the way to go. It's light, quiet, and when installed properly is no factor in terms of leaks. The Gobi is a bit massive in my opinion. If taking the hard top off is a must for you then sure go for the Gobi. If not then the AEV is the right choice in my opinion. Either one gets the job done. Have fun!

IMG_0171 - Version 2.jpg

Last edited:

bluehash

Adventurer
Nice pic helinomad. Pilot?
I might be going in for a gobi as I have only a soft top in a winter location. It might give my top a little protection and also be able to put the top down in summer. I'm actually more conflicted between a gobi and a trailer.

waterboy222

Adventurer
AEV all the way.. Not that I have either one, but the AEV flows with the lines of the jeep. The Gobi just looks like an afterthought to me..

Septu

Explorer
AEV all the way.. Not that I have either one, but the AEV flows with the lines of the jeep. The Gobi just looks like an afterthought to me..

I agree the AECV flows better. However I think the Globi is more practical. ST, HT, top on/off, etc. But then if I wasn't ever going to take the top off (say what?!), then I'd probably consider the AEV, or something like the MRBP. Actually would probably go that route, just so that if I did take the hard top off, I still had options with a ST or bikini top or something.

Lazy Hiker

I have been very satisfied with my Gobi so far...bought it second-hand from another forum member for the cost of the AEV rack. It is very stout, has great looks, and has proved to be very versatile. I also appreciate being able to remove the rack but maintain my light bar (for what it's worth).

My only issue is that it causes the soft top to "fwap!" loudly at some speeds, but this would not be a concern if your hard top only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman