Best balance of mileage and capability?

Merkin

Come on guys, Merkin (the OP) has weighed in. He's already sure he'll get 2-3 mpg better than even the inflated fish-tale forum posters get with their Tacos, and he's obviously a Toyota-intender. So just let him buy his Tacoma and we'll all congratulate him and recommend what LED interior bulb mods, tactical flashlight (oops, torch) holders, and ExPo stickers would be best.

Question- what is the rudest, most insulting thing you can get away with calling someone on this forum?

Merkin

Why not search the Nissan threads and see what owners think there and look in the Toyota thread. IMO, Nissans are bullet proof. In my area Nissan holds their value very well. In the future you'll be buying used vehicles with cheaper dollars, not that I forgot inflation but didn't want to drill so deep for the point. Either are great, not sure the inventories and prices of after market mods for either which might be another consideration. Both probably have enough equipment available to do whatever you'd want to do. I also consider the dealerships, reputation and parts dept. Shop charges are probably pretty close between them.

Thats the thing- there are a LOT fewer frontier threads, particularly regarding the 00 and 01-04 frontiers. The 2000 frontier double cab might have just pulled in to the lead, assuming I can dig up some more info, even though it will be harder due to age to find one with under 100k miles than an 04 tacoma.

Kaisen

Explorer
Question- what is the rudest, most insulting thing you can get away with calling someone on this forum?

Just tell them their Tilley hat is crooked and their mom drives a Tesla....anything else turns into **** you *******

Kaisen

Explorer
Your tilley hat is crooked and your mother drives a tesla.

There! See, you're going to fit in just fine.

Now tell them that their tall skinny stiff tires, disconnected swaybars, and four hundred pound roof rack are unsafe on the freeway.
That always seems to get their panties in a bunch!

yossarian19

Observer
Ask yourself what you really need in terms of capability. Space, crawling, towing, etc. Start there and see what's available. Then see how mpg and purchase price interact over time

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Merkin

Now tell them that their tall skinny stiff tires, disconnected swaybars, and four hundred pound roof rack are unsafe on the freeway.

I like tall skinny stiff tires. When I was in high school, my dad had a 77 chevy pickup with tall skinny stiff tires on it, and i couldnt get the thing stuck no matter how stupid i was.

Kaisen

Explorer
Here's the official EPA fuel economy ratings for a 2000 Frontier Crew 4x4 and a 2001 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4:

Taco Fronty EPA.jpg

4 mpg better would represent a 22% increase over the official highway rating

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
'01 Frontier

I bought an '01 Frontier for my son last year. It's the super-cab, manual trans. with the 3.3 V6. I bought it with just over 100K on it. I bought it thinking that it would be just as good as a comparable Toy. and save a $2-3K in the process. Well, a year and 8000 miles later was I wrong. I've sunk about $4000 in repairs to this thing, a lot of fuel system components, alternator, distributor, etc. I've actually spent about $6000 in total, but that includes consumables like tires, clutch and necessary PM's. As far as mileage, I've only calculated it once, since it's my son's truck. I hand calculated a disappointing 13.7 on mixed 50/50 city/Hwy driving. The truck is running great now, and I think that were going to keep it, especially after all the dough that we've sunk into it.

After the last repair we were at the dealership and test drove a brand new Frontier, during the drive we turned on the AC, it blew and blew but no cold air. What I take from this is that Nissan isn't as good of a brand as Toyota. Obviously there's risk in buying any used vehicle, but with a Toyota you know that you are getting a quality built vehicle, not so much with a Nissan.

tacr2man

Adventurer
Hello all.

I am the owner of a subaru outback, which I have loved, but the time has come for me to start thinking about an upgrade to something with better off road capability. I have been spoiled by getting 30 mpg, however. Hence, I'm trying to figure out what vehicle would give me the best balance between economy and capability. So far, it looks like an 01-04 double cab tacoma would be my best bet at around 22 mpg with good off road ability and enough space for 4 people and gear. What other vehicles should be on my short list?

Thanks.

depending on your budget a defender diesel takes some beating on payload/ability/mpg but I realize they are not that plentiful in USA

Merkin

depending on your budget a defender diesel takes some beating on payload/ability/mpg but I realize they are not that plentiful in USA

I would love one, but they are way out of my budget, and the parts availability just isnt there.

SoCalMonty

Explorer

My tires are fat, my swaybars are in a dump somewhere, and I don't have a rack - just a cargo box.

Whew, looks like I avoided that one! ;)

mvbeggs

Adventurer
Real World Taco Mileage

I'll throw in my $0.02 on the gas mileage in my Tacoma.

Some required background: My 2012 DC Tacoma is running a plate steel rear bumper, steel sliders, and an aluminum front bumper. Winch is a Warn Cti running synthetic line. Tires are Cooper ST MAXX - 235/85R16's on stock rims. Suspension setup is ICON front coilovers. I don't sit much higher than the stock setup.

On the highway, running 70-75mph, I get about 16.5mpg.
Around town I get about 15mpg.
Towing the teardrop at highway speeds (70-75mph), I get about 11.5 mpg.
My running average, since new, is currently 15.2 mpg. (clock is right at 40,000 miles) My running average MPG is a "blood, guts, and feathers number" which includes highway, city, towing, loaded, and unloaded driving.

I have corrected the speedometer for tire size and verified the odometer is correct against highway mile markers and speed verified against GPS.

I don't try to baby the throttle when I drive. I drive just like I would drive any other vehicle.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3