Best Cheap Air Compressor for Tire Inflation at the Trail Head?

Errant

Explorer
I had thought about upgrading from my MV-50 to the twin MaxiTrac at Napa, but was seeing too many problems with it on different forums and YT.

alia176

Explorer
Best and cheap aren't mutually inclusive. Either you spend the money on an air comp that comes with heavy duty cables and alligator clips or you get a cheap one that will get hot and die in short order.

Which one trips your trigger? :)

I hard wired an Air Zenith OB2 air comp and haven't looked back. I picked it as an used rebuilt unit from eBay few years back. Heavy gauge wires along with a 100amp relay with screw on lugs (not the cheesy spade connectors) were used and it's been running w/o a single hiccup. Even though it has a 100% duty cycle, I tied in both sliders as air tanks to keep the duty cycle low. I do pop up the hood open during use in order to keep the temps down. That engine bay gets hot but everything helps.

I don't like to screw with junk more than once. Do it right, bend over, cry once, then be done with it.

Sure, a cheap air comp will work but I simply don't have the patience to spend half hour airing back up. Furthermore, I use an air nozzle to blow off the back of the vehicle every time I'm going to open up the rear hatch during wheeling. I also need to blow out the air filter every morning before we hit the trail for the day.

Ever tried to inflate a SUP or your kid's giant inner tube at the lake with a dinky air comp? It blows, er, I mean it sucks! People come over to my camp to use my air comp to blow up their water toys and she keeps on putting out w/o a single complaint.

Often times I have to air up the trailer tires so that's six tires at a MIN!

My Stuff has to work and it has to do with it style and consistency. :)

Some of us are wheeling $40k+ vehicles and yet, we don't want to spend money on a quality air comp. This doesn't compute :unsure:

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm going to go ahead and assume the last two commenters did not read the original post :)
The parameters are as follows:
- Under $100
- for use by others who forgot their own air, or as an emergency back up only
- Somewhat disposable. I just gave one away to someone with two flats and no remaining spare, when they were 100 miles from nearest service

plh

Explorer

nwoods

Expedition Leader
So, in the name of science, I decided to experiement and go with (I hope) an upgraded unit, and bought the MV-90 instead of the trusty but slow MV-50. A bit above my budget, but with twice the output volume, it might be worth while. Time will tell.

alia176

Explorer
I'm going to go ahead and assume the last two commenters did not read the original post :)
The parameters are as follows:
- Under $100
- for use by others who forgot their own air, or as an emergency back up only
- Somewhat disposable. I just gave one away to someone with two flats and no remaining spare, when they were 100 miles from nearest service

*for use by others who forgot their own air, or as an emergency back up only
This one eludes me, to be honest. If your own air comp is good enough, you can air them up after you're done.

*Emergency back up unit
No need for it if your primary unit is robust and made of quality.

* Somewhat disposable. I just gave one away to someone with two flats and no remaining spare, when they were 100 miles from nearest service
You have a big heart man, kudos.

I know, I'm being argumentative :)

nwoods

Expedition Leader
*for use by others who forgot their own air, or as an emergency back up only
This one eludes me, to be honest. If your own air comp is good enough, you can air them up after you're done.

*Emergency back up unit
No need for it if your primary unit is robust and made of quality.

* Somewhat disposable. I just gave one away to someone with two flats and no remaining spare, when they were 100 miles from nearest service
You have a big heart man, kudos.

I know, I'm being argumentative :)
Not argumentative, just not cognizant of my initial post. As I initially posted, I use a CO2 tank as my primary air source. It is finite. If I were to offer its use to everyone, I would run out of air that much faster, thus the need for a spare air system. Also, more than most people, I am usually the trail guide, and as such, supposed to be able to compensate for the unpreparedness of others. I fill up with CO2, then make my rounds and out out the rest of the group will some poor sap is slowly filling up with my MV-50. Its a time management thing, as much as it is convienance.

Hopefully, the new MV-90 will be significantly faster, quieter, and better all around. I am pleased that it was just picked by Overland Expo as one of its top recommendations. Granted, they picked a more expensive Ironman clone of the MV-90, but its the same unit as I what I bought for $120. https://www.overlandexpo.com/compass/gear-collections-air-compressors/

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Initial thoughts on the MV-90:
Wow, its big. Easily about 60% bigger than the MV-50. Not quite double the size, but quite a big bigger.
Its pretty fast. I have 285/70/17 tires (33"), and it filled from 18 psi to 36 psi in 2 min 42 seconds, indicating about 45 psi on the dial. That's quite a bit faster than the MV-50 use to do it. Its also MUCH quieter, with a significantly lower tone to the compressor sound. Build quality seems pretty good, a bit of an upgrade from the MV--50. Still gets quite hot! Disconnecting the air hose after a few tires, you'll be wanting gloves, despite the foam ring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online