Best tire for the money

Rockhounder

Explorer
Anybody have experience with using the company called GT and their Adventuro M/T tires? Have not really seen any reviews on how well they handle or wear......

Last edited:

mwess1113

I'm on my second set of Bridgestone Dueler Revo2's and absolutely love them for lighter duty off-roading in my 05 Sequoia.

vwhammer

Adventurer
I can't believe I have not heard more about the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10.
They can be a little tricky to find but have similar tread patterns to a couple of the more popular new all terrain designs and is usually the cheapest tire I come across.
The 265/75/16 can be found for about $135 per tire shipped if you shop around.
http://www.amazon.com/Hankook-DynaPro-RF10-Off-Road-Tire/dp/B004QL68O6

I got a set of 5 in 225/70/16 shipped to my door for $505.
Haven't had the chance to run them yet so I can't really give you any input there.

However I have run some other Hankook street tires on a couple of my other cars and they are easily the best bang for the buck.

Even in some tire comparisons by magazines they rank pretty high but I have just not seen much about their off road tires.

Maybe check'em out?

Robert Bills

Explorer
I can't believe I have not heard more about the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10.
They can be a little tricky to find but have similar tread patterns to a couple of the more popular new all terrain designs . . .

Those tires have good reviews online, but as you noted they are hard to find. That is why I crossed them off my list. I didn't want to find myself in a situation where I needed a replacement tire while on an excursion somewhere but had to wait for one to be shipped from across the country.

arlon

Adventurer
Had Cooper AT-3 which I thought was a great tire. Their road manners were really good but the sidewalls couldn't handle the rocks. I drive in a lot of rocks and ended up swapping them out for the AT KO E rated tires just for their 3 ply sidewall. If you stay away from rocks the choices are more difficult. Almost every law enforcement vehicle around Big Bend (West Texas) uses BFG AT/KO, border patrol, park rangers and the local sheriff vehicles are almost always equipped with the AT/KO tires.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Had Cooper AT-3 which I thought was a great tire. Their road manners were really good but the sidewalls couldn't handle the rocks. . . ended up swapping them out for the AT KO E rated tires just for their 3 ply sidewall. . . . Almost every law enforcement vehicle around Big Bend (West Texas) uses BFG AT/KO, border patrol, park rangers and the local sheriff vehicles are almost always equipped with the AT/KO tires.

The Cooper Discoverer AT3 was on my short list, but my final choice was the Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx because there is a lot of sharp volcanic rock in the "North State" region of California and I wanted 3-ply sidewalls. I think my decision was confirmed when I observed that almost all of the USFS and Cal Fire pickups in my area were equipped with the ST/Maxx.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
How about the Falken Wild Peak ATS or A/T? The ATS, which looks to be an outgoing model, is $82 a pop (235/75/15) at Discount Tire. The Wild Peak A/T is $120.

FWIW, I've owned a few sets of Falken on-road tires and have been happy overall with their performance, although not so much their longevity.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Had Cooper AT-3 which I thought was a great tire. Their road manners were really good but the sidewalls couldn't handle the rocks. I drive in a lot of rocks and ended up swapping them out for the AT KO E rated tires just for their 3 ply sidewall.
[p]
This is a real concern for me as well. Since I drive in the Rocky Mountains and the deserts, rocks are a normal part of any trip.
[p]
I had Hankook Dynapro's on my 1999 4runner and really liked them. They were also very reasonably priced.
[p]
But last year, one of the guys on DE-III had not one but TWO catastrophic failures on his Dynapros in the space of 3 days (in both cases the tire literally came apart at the sidewall in the amount of time it took him to come to a complete stop.) It was a real PITA for him and he was fortunate that he was able to borrow a spare tire from another person on the trip after he used his first one. As much as I like the looks and the snow/ice/road manners of the Dynapro, I'm not sure I could trust it on an extended trip.
[p]
For that reason, it's likely that when I finally decide to put new tires on the 4runner, I'll probably bite the bullet and get the KOs, even though the cost will be higher (about $100 - $200 more for 4 tires depending on which KO I get.)
[p]
Of course, there are a couple of things to consider: The first one is that tires are pretty much a "critical" component of any vehicle. If you're tire fails, (in the words of the ski instructor from "South Park",) "You're gonna have a bad time." Believe me, I'm a card-carrying member of the "Cheap Bastard Club." I shop at discount and thrift stores and keep a pair of shoes until they're threadbare and falling apart. But tires are one area where I don't ike to cut corners.
[p]
Second thing to consider is amortized cost. Yes, it sucks to have an extra $150 vacuumed out of your wallet at the time you purchase your tires. But unless you drive 50,000 miles a year, you aren't buying tires every year. For me, 12,000 - 13,000 miles/year is average on my 4runner (I have another DD that uses much cheaper tires) so for a set of tires that will last 50k miles, I can figure on 4 years out of a set. Call it 3.5 years to be conservative. So, even if it costs $200 more for 4 tires, that's actually about $60/year or $5.00/month. I figure I can afford 5 bucks a month to have what I consider to be a superior tire on my vehicle. ;)

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Had Cooper AT-3 which I thought was a great tire. Their road manners were really good but the sidewalls couldn't handle the rocks. I drive in a lot of rocks and ended up swapping them out for the AT KO E rated tires just for their 3 ply sidewall.
This is a real concern for me as well. Since I drive in the Rocky Mountains and the deserts, rocks are a normal part of any trip.
I had Hankook Dynapro's on my 1999 4runner and really liked them. They were also very reasonably priced.
But last year, one of the guys on DE-III had not one but TWO catastrophic failures on his Dynapros in the space of 3 days (in both cases the tire literally came apart at the sidewall in the amount of time it took him to come to a complete stop.) It was a real PITA for him and he was fortunate that he was able to borrow a spare tire from another person on the trip after he used his first one. As much as I like the looks and the snow/ice/road manners of the Dynapro, I'm not sure I could trust it on an extended trip.
For that reason, it's likely that when I finally decide to put new tires on the 4runner, I'll probably bite the bullet and get the KOs, even though the cost will be higher (about $100 - $200 more for 4 tires depending on which KO I get.)
Of course, there are a couple of things to consider: The first one is that tires are pretty much a "critical" component of any vehicle. If you're tire fails, (in the words of the ski instructor from "South Park",) "You're gonna have a bad time." Believe me, I'm a card-carrying member of the "Cheap Bastard Club." I shop at discount and thrift stores and keep a pair of shoes until they're threadbare and falling apart. But tires are one area where I don't cut corners.
Second thing to consider is amortized cost. Yes, it sucks to have an extra $150- $200 vacuumed out of your wallet at the time you purchase your tires. But unless you drive 50,000 miles a year, you aren't buying tires every year. For me, 12,000 - 13,000 miles/year is average on my 4runner (I have another DD that uses much cheaper tires) so for a set of tires that will last 50k miles, I can figure on 4 years out of a set. Call it 3.5 years to be conservative. So, even if it costs $200 more for 4 tires, that's actually about $60/year or $5.00/month. I figure I can afford 5 bucks a month to have what I consider to be a superior tire on my vehicle. ;)

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Im in the market for some new rubber and looking at several different brands of tires. My goal is to not spend more than $175 per tire. I need 5 and also need to keep it under a grand. Tire size is 265/75/16. I will be using my rig for light offroading, snow, and sand "beach driving" Im sure there have been threads like this but I would like to get the best and current info that I can before I make my purchase so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here are some different tires ive been looking at.

Wild country mtx
9a0c55b1d5b97f27ed77eccb6aac6c2d.jpg

I can get the mtx for $130 out the door "not mounted" which is the cheapest and a steal but my worry about mud terrain is in the sand im affaird they will just want to dig instead of float. I also hear that a mud terrain is the closest thing to a paddle tire so im getting mixed reviews.

Goodyear wrangler at
e2ba835b4b2559d7d71d5c0547fd8705.jpg

Nitto terra grappler
2656ea54ee8789fb1f578df2d2bb0f31.jpg

Any other brands and suggestions would be great.

Thanks everyone

the second pic is BFG ATs, not goodyear

vwhammer

Adventurer
Those tires have good reviews online, but as you noted they are hard to find. That is why I crossed them off my list. I didn't want to find myself in a situation where I needed a replacement tire while on an excursion somewhere but had to wait for one to be shipped from across the country.

That's why I bought 5 for my van and 5 matching wheels.

JamesDowning

Explorer
BFG just announced their new TA2 that deserves a look. They become avaliable in november. I hope I can hold out that long. A few cool sizes being offered too.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
How were the Toyo AT2's in the mud?
Better than I thought they'd be...
Better by far than BFG OE tires. But I can't really compare them to any others since the PW was so heavy; just steam-rolled through it without any pause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete