Best way to get an accurate Sandglow paint?

Hi guys,

What would be the best way to get an accurate Land Rover Camel Trophy "sand-glow" colored paint? The paint codes are generally not accurate. And, without access to an authentic camel trophy truck to use a color scanner, it may be difficult to replicate the color.

Any ideas or a direction to point me towards?

overlander

Expedition Leader
Ask on D-90.com. there's some camel owners on there that might have a part they can scan for you. or go to the camel trophy owners club and buy a small painted part to use for matching.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
The Sandglow varies by region- original intention was to match the local sand aiding in cammy effects. Also, very susceptible to fading hence a difficult match at best.

I'll be painting my Montero with a sand glow colored paint before the year is out.

I've got a few paint color indexes that I was browsing last night and may have found a few similar matches. I also uploaded a few photos to an application available on Sherwin Williams website where I could "match" the colors. Interesting way to do it. I'm going to stop by today after work to get the price on some custom matched industrial enamel (like rustoleum) to do the job.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I'll be painting my Montero with a sand glow colored paint before the year is out.

I've got a few paint color indexes that I was browsing last night and may have found a few similar matches. I also uploaded a few photos to an application available on Sherwin Williams website where I could "match" the colors. Interesting way to do it. I'm going to stop by today after work to get the price on some custom matched industrial enamel (like rustoleum) to do the job.

Tell me it ain't so...

I went to Sherwin Williams like I mentioned and got a few color cards...

From memory and couple printed photos of a photo of a CT Defender and Disco, I've come up with a couple of possible Sherwin Williams Color matches.

Torchlight SW6374 (color that I like the most)
Anjou Pear SW6381
Brittle Bush SW6684
Butterfield SW6676

You can look those color up online or go to SW to pick your swab, if anyone else wants to put their opinion in the pot for other's reference...

Paladin

Banned
I really don't think those are very close. Brittle Bush is by far the best, but I believe sandglow is much more brighter yellow than that.

Torchlight is good though, because that's what you'll be seeing, along with the pitchforks... ;)

It's much more like Benjamin Moore Bright Yellow 2022-30. But like was said, it varies year to year.

Last edited:

Patman

Explorer
What about bribing one of the original CT 110's on here to go to a local body shop and get scanned for a color match, and then having a batch mixed by using the codes? Assuming they can get passed the "not on a rover" reaction:ylsmoke:

What about bribing one of the original CT 110's on here to go to a local body shop and get scanned for a color match, and then having a batch mixed by using the codes? Assuming they can get passed the "not on a rover" reaction:ylsmoke:

Thought about that.

And yeah, I dont know what all the fuss is about... I end up working on my buddy's rover more than my mitsu....

I mean..... :peepwall:

....but its true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz