best year for Montero 1999?

MARKSMONTE

EXPLORER
When calculating MPG, is anyone accounting for your tire size?
Each rotation adds distance. the oddometer says 200 miles traveled but it is accually more depending on your tire diameter.
My Monteros all get 20 or more on the hwy and 16 city.
Thats not loaded to the max.

GrassCat

Adventurer
They tend to have issues with the valve seals/guides, if neglected can cause a low oil issue and ruin the engine.

Can you explain how this can happen?

Here's what I know. If the engine has oil and oil pressure and bad valve guide seals it will only smoke, but I've been wrong one other time in my 73 years. :)

If the timing belt breaks on the 3.5L the valves in most cases will get bent. Not so on the 3.0L engine.

When someone says the truck has a new engine, ask them what they mean. Most have no clue and only think they have a new engine or a rebuild. I bet most have only had the top end done, because of valve guide seals or timing belt problems.

1morebike

Adventurer
At 6 ft 4 or so do we think I would fit in the drivers seat of a 91? I havnt ruled out early model but I'm not sure i would fit.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Can you explain how this can happen?

Here's what I know. If the engine has oil and oil pressure and bad valve guide seals it will only smoke, but I've been wrong one other time in my 73 years. :)

If the timing belt breaks on the 3.5L the valves in most cases will get bent. Not so on the 3.0L engine.

When someone says the truck has a new engine, ask them what they mean. Most have no clue and only think they have a new engine or a rebuild. I bet most have only had the top end done, because of valve guide seals or timing belt problems.

That smoke is from oil leaking outside where it needs to be, if the oil is not checked and kept topped off then it can get low enough to damage the engine.

I am 6' 8" and fit fine in my 1991 and 2000 Monteros. If you have a Gen II.5 Montero in stock configuration and you are not getting over 20 mpg with mixed driving, then something is wrong with the vehicle or your driving habits. I would check into the cause if I were you because getting 24mpg at 65mph is normal. I never saw a tank worse than 20 mpg in my 2000 Montero.

1morebike

Adventurer
I am 6' 8" and fit fine in my 1991 and 2000 Monteros. If you have a Gen II.5 Montero in stock configuration and you are not getting over 20 mpg with mixed driving, then something is wrong with the vehicle or your driving habits. I would check into the cause if I were you because getting 24mpg at 65mph is normal. I never saw a tank worse than 20 mpg in my 2000 Montero.

Cool good to know I found 1991 that looks nice but wasn't sure I would fit. What kind of gas mileage you get out of 91

Cool good to know I found 1991 that looks nice but wasn't sure I would fit. What kind of gas mileage you get out of 91

I had the 3.0 with Auto and lock up Torque converter and the best I ever got was 18mpg. It was just an old vehicle and looking back on it the 31" AT tires, Roof rack and RTT did not help the mpg's much.

1morebike

Adventurer
I had the 3.0 with Auto and lock up Torque converter and the best I ever got was 18mpg. It was just an old vehicle and looking back on it the 31" AT tires, Roof rack and RTT did not help the mpg's much.

Mpgs is one the reasons I'm selling the 80 I have and that's 16 on the highway so buying another vehicle that gets 18 doesn't make sense. Oh well new it is.

Mpgs is one the reasons I'm selling the 80 I have and that's 16 on the highway so buying another vehicle that gets 18 doesn't make sense. Oh well new it is.

If you have an FZJ80 you wont be happy with the 1991 Montero. I have had 2 1996 LX450's over the years and loved them both, but I sold my last LX in 2009 to buy a Jetta Sportwagen TDI because I was spending $800-1000 a month in gas. It was killing me and I was getting 13-14 mpg out of my LX450. In Spring 2011 I bought a 1991 Montero in out of California and drove it for about 9 months but it was too small for the family because it only seats 5. The 1991 was a good vehicle offroad but it was terrible on long drives over 50 miles. I could drive my LX450's all day with out being sore, but that 1991 Montero made my back ache and I do not have back issues. In November of 2011 I bought a 2000 Montero with 26K miles. It drove like a dream and still had the original tires. I did not expect it to get any better MPG than the 1991 but it achieved 24mpg consistently on the freeway and I never saw a tank below 20mpg, even in AWD in the dead of winter. In July 2012 it was hit and totalled out. I really missed having it because it was such a great vehicle and I defiantly preferred it over my LX450's even though they were immaculate.

At the end of the day I loved the look of Gen 1 Montero, the offroad ability of the LX450's and the comfort of the Gen II.5 Montero. So I ended up going with the Mercedes G500. I love my Mercedes but I would have no issues going back to a Gen II.5 Montero or LX450.

1morebike

Adventurer
Well ill take that advice and keep looking for 2.5 found 2000 with 80,000 on rebuilt that I might go take look at but I need to unload my 80 first

Cambo

Adventurer
Why does everyone seem to dismiss the Sport? I have a 99 with the 3.5L, rear air locker and 4:63 gears. It is comfortable, runs great and gets 20 mpg with 170k on the clock and me driving 65+. I know everyone likes different stuff and I'm good with that, but is there something about the Sport I don't know about?

Mudrunner

Adventurer
Why does everyone seem to dismiss the Sport? I have a 99 with the 3.5L, rear air locker and 4:63 gears. It is comfortable, runs great and gets 20 mpg with 170k on the clock and me driving 65+. I know everyone likes different stuff and I'm good with that, but is there something about the Sport I don't know about?

I think most people like having the larger size of the Montero vs. the Sport. That is what I was looking for since I have a family I wanted something a little bigger. With that said the Sport is a fantastic vehicle with the same talents of the Full size. I love my XS and think it to be a wonderful vehicle. I love the Sport I own and wouldn't trade it at this point now that I have owned it for a while.

1morebike

Adventurer
Another question as long as we are talking. I have an arb on my 80 right now am going to sell it with the truck but I'm wondering if I should keep it and put it on what ever montero I buy. Do anyone think it would fit on say a 99 if I find one?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The 1991 was a good vehicle offroad but it was terrible on long drives over 50 miles. I could drive my LX450's all day with out being sore, but that 1991 Montero made my back ache and I do not have back issues.
Never had any comfort issues in my 2 89's or my 90 Montero's including several 18+ hr drives to UT and AZ over the 6+ years I owned them. Nor have I had issues with my 96

grandpa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl