best year for Montero 1999?

Evo666

Observer
My 99 get avg 15mpg. I think valve guide leak is to blame.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

curtperry

Otherwise, I'd be looking at the latests gen 2.5 model w/ a locker and would be looking at upgrading the xcase and r&p gears.

I understand the gears but am curious about the transfer case upgrade you mentioned for the gen 2.5. Is there something about the gen2.5 xcase that makes it inferior to gen2? I had assumed they were the same.

1morebike

Adventurer
just found a 1998 one owner well maintained but it has 190,000 miles on it. if it was 80 series land cruiser i would do it in second but i don't know how long the monteros can go.

grandpa

just found a 1998 one owner well maintained but it has 190,000 miles on it. if it was 80 series land cruiser i would do it in second but i don't know how long the monteros can go.

I bought my 2000 with 192,000 miles. It's all about the maintenance by prior owners. You should be able to get another 100,000+ with proper maintenance.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
280k+ miles on my drivetrain although the original owner overheated the original engine and replaced it with a used engine he pulled from a salvage yard.

Having said that, this is my 5th Montero and I wouldn't doubt the drivetrain will easily run to 500k w/ proper maintenance and possibly an engine rebuild at some point.

Last edited:

1morebike

Adventurer
I just saw a 1996 5sp for sale had over 200,000 on but had the head rebuilt and new head gasket. I didn't know they made a 5 sp. It didn't have the locker but to be honest my 80 has front and rear I have never even used them. He's also g 2000 for it. Might be cool

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I just saw a 1996 5sp for sale had over 200,000 on but had the head rebuilt and new head gasket. I didn't know they made a 5 sp. It didn't have the locker but to be honest my 80 has front and rear I have never even used them. He's also g 2000 for it. Might be cool

Did you call to verify the manual transmission?

1morebike

Adventurer
Also why am I finding so many with new motors in them? Some sound good but from what I getting from you guys it seems it would take decent amount of neglect to ruin an engine. Some are good deals but with a new engine I wonder what the rest of the truck is like.

also thanks for all the input on this thread I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I think it's great conversation and information you guys giving me.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Also why am I finding so many with new motors in them? Some sound good but from what I getting from you guys it seems it would take decent amount of neglect to ruin an engine. Some are good deals but with a new engine I wonder what the rest of the truck is like.

also thanks for all the input on this thread I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I think it's great conversation and information you guys giving me.

They tend to have issues with the valve seals/guides, if neglected can cause a low oil issue and ruin the engine.

Mudrunner

Adventurer

Also they are an interference engine, which if timing belt is not changed at regular intervals it can cause major damage as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad