Better Bivvy sacks/tents?

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
That looks like a really nice tent but, dang is it expensive! At half price, $300~$350 I think I would get one. Looks basically bomb proof.
IIRC I paid $600 for in 1984(?) after wind destroyed our tent on Mt Robson. I got 25+ years of use out of it.

If you never in extreme weather or have emergency shelter close by (vehicle, etc.) then anything that is weather tight will work.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Sorry no luck, Ebay history only saves to 7 years.

They are also pretty common with outfitters/ the type who take horses into the back country. So a lot of places that make tack, and canvas tarps for packing. Will make/sell them. My mum and dad were a guide, and cook in the backcountry of Yellowstone. And swore by them.

Paul, maybe something to add to your product line. Although, I don’t know if they would be a big seller or cost efficient.

There is a lot to be said for just crashing in the rig in a pinch.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Paul, maybe something to add to your product line. Although, I don’t know if they would be a big seller or cost efficient.

🤣 Thanks. But, yeah, no.
I made a ton of waxed canvas and natural canvas ones back in the beginning (apparently they are very popular on/in the islands). All word of mouth and custom. Most went to the early adventure riders, Ural clubs and island Jeep clubs. Sold a few at OE events but, all of sudden no one wanted them for the price and the availability of cheap sleeping bags on the internet so the sewing patterns have been mothballed.

Hnoroian

Observer
Sid, what are your transportation/size constraints? Assuming fishing so you have gear on the beach and storage for stuff ...

Sid Post

Observer
Sid, what are your transportation/size constraints? Assuming fishing so you have gear on the beach and storage for stuff ...
Small Toyota Tacoma, or Hilux to many people.

Two-piece freshwater rods fit fine but, none of them are over 6'6". My saltwater rod options right now look best at 12' but, a 10' might end up coming my way. I guess I need to take a tape measure out to my pickup and measure things inside the cab.

Hnoroian

Observer
I have the double (not the collapsible) and love it. On the ground, in the back of the truck, hot, windy, rainy, cold it hasn't mattered.

I would consider this more packable, set up is the same, really quick.

Sid Post

Observer
I have the double (not the collapsible) and love it. On the ground, in the back of the truck, hot, windy, rainy, cold it hasn't mattered.

I would consider this more packable, set up is the same, really quick.

Interesting. The XL version looks like it might be a good solution for me. It also suggests a lightweight bedroll for it would be a good pairing.

Hnoroian

Observer
So I actually just watched the overview from the website, I didn’t realize that the tent was not attached. On my version it pops up when I unfold it. Might not a deal breaker but just to note. I did make the rain fly pop open with brass rings and small fiberglass poles.

Sid Post

Observer
So I actually just watched the overview from the website, I didn’t realize that the tent was not attached. On my version it pops up when I unfold it. Might not a deal breaker but just to note. I did make the rain fly pop open with brass rings and small fiberglass poles.

Yep, there are two basic options for those. The older 'classic' model seems to be a good one for an integrated solution and dead simple setup in the dark or in the rain. The newer version has a cot with a detachable tent body which seems to be a bit more flexible for a wider variety of uses.

The XL I'm looking at can use its 'tent' as a sun shelter surf fishing and the cot by itself for some general seating if needed and, sometimes it is nice to take a nap under a shade tree on a cot too!

The XL also looks to be sized well for using a Davis Tents 10oz Sunforager fabric 'cowboy' bed roll too. I was looking at the Kakadu 1P SWAG/Bivvy and this looks a bit better for my uses and is ~1/2 the cost of the Kakadu 1P SWAG. Being up off the ground is another advantage I see with this solution.

I am glad you brought it to my attention! 🥳

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger