Big Bend National Park: A week in the wilderness

NorCalLC

Adventurer
Excellent trip report and photos, I'm jealous. That's cool getting the inlaws out there with you also.

Agreed on the great photo of your better half...

Strizzo

Explorer
Thanks!

Strizzo, didn't I see you at my REI store? I'm sure I said hi to you with Angela close by, and I was facing you due west, facing the women's pack wall behind you.

I would love to do a trip with you guys soon. I don't have a 4X4 truck, yet. I'm thinking of upgrading my Scout II to 4X4 in the future. Maybe you guys can do the driving in the meantime?

Stephanie

P.S I want to say, thanks for the photos and reminding me of my home state. Absolutely beautiful photos, and they bring back memories of living in rural south Texas.

just make sure you update the brake system at the least http://jalopnik.com/5609631/this-was-the-right-rear-wheel-falling-off

just make sure you update the brake system at the least http://jalopnik.com/5609631/this-was-the-right-rear-wheel-falling-off

Thanks. My Scout is the Scout II, 1977. The problem appears to be the one with the Scout 80. My Dad had one, and exactly this problem happened on the way to school one early morning. I was in the second grade, and Dad drove me there. Just as he was halfway in his right turn onto the street that served as the drop-off spot for the kids, the rear right wheel broke off along with the entire brake housing and fell outward, with the axle housing landing on it. We were right in the middle of the intersection. That very moment was the last time I ever rode in that Scout 80. It's times like these that I wished that I had asked Dad to set this one aside and swap axles so that I could own it one day. But of course, I didn't know you could do that, and I had no idea how trucks would turn out in the 90s and beyond.

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
I must say, I tend to agree :)

Nicely done, and beautifully photographed. I really like one too:

1_102.jpg

This looks like Afghanistan...

5034099114_e9d47c512a_o.jpg

flashdude

Very nice account of Big Bend Park. As a professional photographer, I especially enjoyed the quality and composition of your photography, but as an adventurer, I also appreciate the accuracy of the account of your trip, the environment and elements, the roads, the flora and fauna of the region, and the vastness and beauty of the desert southwest.
We live in Marathon, so this is our "backyard." I am in the Chisos Mountains either on motorcycles or backpacking, or both, every month. The fall season is upon us, so it's really one of the two best times to be there. Here are a couple of pix from this past weekend:
Looking south from the South Rim toward the Rio Grande and Santa Elena Canyon, across Elephant Tusk Peak:
IMG_1397.jpg

Looking southeast from the East rim Trail toward the Sierre del Carmen range in Mexico, especially beautiful at sunset:
IMG_1409.jpg

The maples changing color in mid-October in Boot Canyon deep in the high Chisos Trail Complex of the Chisos Mountains:
IMG_1437.jpg

Thanks for your post, and thanks for visiting our little part of Texas. Let me know next time down, and we'll get together.

Flashdude

Ash

Adventurer
Right - finally got around to editing a short video together. I combined it with some of the photos posted here to explain more of our trip for those who haven't seen it but it mostly centers around the driving of the Black Gap road. We didn't record a lot of footage so it's average at best - still fun to remind us though!

http://www.vimeo.com/17231150

Ash

Last edited:

alexrex20

Explorer
Great pics! I love Big Bend. I've been nearly a dozen times, in all seasons, all types of weather. If someone is planning a repeat trip, I suggest going in the rainy season. Seriously! The rain will cool things off a bit, and the waterfalls come to life. It's surreal hiking down from the desert into a wooded canyon, feeling the temperature drop 20 degrees as you make your way to the gushing waterfall. Who would've thought... a waterfall in the desert in the middle of June: http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv19/alexrex20/DSC07302.jpg

And for the backpackers, check out Guadalupe Mtns National Park. It's a short drive (relative to Texas) from Big Bend and you can climb to the top of Guadalupe Peak, the tallest point in Texas. It's only marginally taller than Emory Peak, but it's still taller. ;)

Strizzo

Explorer
Great job on the video Ash! thanks for posting it!

for those looking to make a(nother) trip to BIBE, keep an eye on the central states section for info on a possible big bend ranch state park trip between christmas and new years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__