Biggest tires on e350 with fender/bumper trimming?

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
I had 285/75/16's on my quigley when I first got it and never heard any tire rub till I borrowed a friends 315's. Even then you'd only hear a slight rub at full lock hitting a bump. Gotta remember how much rim offsets and widths will weigh into this equation.

UHAULER

Explorer
97 E350 7.3d
I ran 33-12.50-16.5" for 500,000 miles with minor rubbing during back up/turn situations

At 500,000 miles installed 305-70-16" with new 880's springs....cut rear of fender but did not need to

How much lift is this ? I want to run 285/75/16 or 305/70/16 with minimal lift. I don't mind trimming the fenders.

deezdrama

Adventurer
20170318_111820-1.jpg

Ordered five 285/75 16 tires, an extra baja rim and a spare tire carrier to bolt to rear door.
I got some half inch spacers as well. Going to trim/angle the sides of front bumper and cut off a couple inches of the rear of the front fender wells cutting at a sloping angle. Hope the spacers give me turning clearance.

When I was getting tires mounted, I talked to the guy about leveling the front. He said he could do it by just "turning some bolts" .... i think he was full of ####. Do you think I should level the front? Would I be better off going with bigger springs or the 2" pucks like maxxlift? Any other thoughts? I might be setup for a total fail but have to try it.

Edit..... level it by "just turning some bolts"....lol.... i bet he was talking about those cheap spring spreaders like the rubber wedges you put in the coil but the ones with 2 bolts and 2 little plates that spread the spring. I didnt even think about it but bet thats what he was talking about. Why would I want that crap and if i did i would do that myself.

Last edited:

ClubWagon

Observer
I just put 265/75 R16 BFG's on mine. Everything is stock. Have no rubbing at all lock to lock. I've also been thinking about either doing the 2" maxx lift leveling kit or changing the springs to maybe the moog cc880? just to try and level it out a bit. But I'm not sure what the best way to go would be. I'll try and post a picture of mine.

ClubWagon

Observer
Here is my driver side front. I'm trying to do this from my phone and it's sideways for some reason. Sorry about that..

20170318_193729.jpg

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Hrmmm....
a5knrd.jpg

LOL

deezdrama

Adventurer
I trimmed about an inch off the front bumper, and about an inch and a half from back of front fenders. I started right next to the bottom fender bolt and arced up untill it tapered off at the body line. Using some coil spring boosters, half inch 8 lug spacer plates, and the trimming I did it turned stop to stop with plenty of clearance all around. Drove it around for a while and made sure to hit my ramped driveway several times at full turn.... no rubbing.
Probably gained a good 2-3" using four 1" rubber coild boosters on bottom of coils, each booster 90° from eachother.
Getting the other 3 tires mounted after work and will just use the 1/2" spacer plates in the rear. Also have to figure out if the spare tire carrier i got will work with a 33" tire and need to mount it to the door.
The boosters will do their job for now untill I figure out what coil springs to order.
Will post pics

deezdrama

Adventurer
20170320_183707-1.jpg20170320_191218-1.jpg20170320_181531-1.jpg

I would like a little more lift in the front, its still not level with the coil boosters. Any coil recommendations?

hogasm

Observer
How much lift is this ? I want to run 285/75/16 or 305/70/16 with minimal lift. I don't mind trimming the fenders.

No lift
Ran 33x12.5x16.5 for 400,000 miles and they were discontinued only rubbed while backing down a steep driveway

With the 305-70-16 I cut the rear of the fenders to help clearance since the stock springs had come to the end of their life. Installed new Moog springs and the front sits 2" taller....now the rear sags while the front sits proud

ClubWagon

Observer
No lift
Ran 33x12.5x16.5 for 400,000 miles and they were discontinued only rubbed while backing down a steep driveway

With the 305-70-16 I cut the rear of the fenders to help clearance since the stock springs had come to the end of their life. Installed new Moog springs and the front sits 2" taller....now the rear sags while the front sits proud

Which moog springs did you go with?

hogasm

Observer
After bring the front back up the rear now sags. Hard to believe in 20 years how much she has dropped in the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater