bikerjosh's 1st gen 06 Tundra Dbl cab build

bikerjosh

Explorer
Wanted a more family friendly rig to go offroad and also be able to tow more weight than my 4runner.
Be patient w/a 2 yr old, crazy work schedule and too many other hobbies this is going to move a slower pace.
The truck so far:
tundra002_zpsefaeead2.jpg

Camburg UCAs and Toytecs up front, Bilstein/stock rear
tundra003_zps72d9f559.jpg

Keep sticky fingers out.
tundra005_zpse73c6037.jpg

Pioneer Navi/Bluetooth/Ipod control
tundra004_zpsfd29b87a.jpg

Bed/Cab so much potential: was originally going to take off the cab, in favor of a Allpro rack, but decided I liked the idea of stuff being out of the weather and at least secured behind some fiberglass. Looking for ideas on how to mount my highlift, shovel etc in the bed
tundra006_zpsd2c69a66.jpg

Next up: stubbs HD-SKO sliders, complete set of Skidrow plates.
Decisions: rear lockrite or ARB locker (love the ARBs on my 4runner, but the cost is high)

Thanks for the future suggestions

Last edited:

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I don't have any pictures but I copied a mounting setup I saw on here many times. I drilled 3 holes in the sheet metal along the bedside, in line with the clamps holding down the cap, took threaded rod and bolted it securely in place and used wing nuts to secure the hi-lift in place. I can adjust how far back the hi-lift is by using an extra nut as a backstop on the threaded rod directly behind the hi-lift. Hope this made sense, took me about 15 mins to mount the jack.

-jorge

bikerjosh

Explorer
Those are some sweet UCAs. How do you like the Deavers in the back? Did you get them custom built for you?
Sorry, Greenyota. Thought the PO told me it had Deavers in the back I was under it yesterday and confirmed that they are stock (must have been some sleep deprived, side effect)
No further progress on the Tundra as I'm tidying up a few item on the 4runner since it is for sale.
Josh

huntsonora

Explorer
Looks great! There are now at least 3 of us here on Expo that went from a 4Runner to a 1st Gen Tundra for the exact same reasons

How do you like those Coopers? I am torn between just going with the ATP's at Discount Tire or just spring for the ST Maxx for $50 more per tire. I had the ATP's on a 1 ton diesel and they wore well and the truck rode like a champ.

Anyway, great truck and I look forward to more of your build

character zero

dangerfoot
bikerjosh - Nice truck! You got a great deal on that thing, if that is the one I saw for sale in norcal. I exchanged some PMs with the PO if so, and you got a solid build. I'm an avid mtn biker and absolutely love having the cap on for keeping the bike under lock/key/insured and keeping things clean and dry. Yeah, I'm one of those huntsonora mentions - 4Runner to the Tundra, and I'm not looking back (disclaimer: bought my wife a 4R a year after I sold mine!).

Keep us posted on the progress and nice truck!

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Decisions: rear lockrite or ARB locker (love the ARBs on my 4runner, but the cost is high)

Thanks for the future suggestions

I'd give a Truetrac some serious consideration- its always working, smoother than a lunch-box locker, and if you do lift a back wheel, you can pre-load it real easily with the parking brake.

If I lived somewhere with low-sodium roads (like you), I would think about a custom rear bumper to store the hi-lift. Or you could clamp some 4" PVC to the bed rail and slide it in from the back- bungee chord to help it stay put.

v_man

Explorer
Coming from an ARB , a Lockrite or similar lunchbox might leave you a little disapointed . I had a lockrite on a previous Toyota pickup , and currently ARB's on my 'Runner. When I was daily driving with my lockrite , I coasted (clutch in) through nearly every turn , I'm wondering what your experience would be considering you have the automatic . Also , for some , the lockrite has the reputation of being a light duty locker , that is to say , they work best when there is not a whole lot of power being ran through them , like with the anemic 22re or 3vze Toyota engines . Search around for 'broken lockrite' .

Lastly , I wonder how the lockrite would do while towing . You can't exactly roll or coast through turns if you're pulling extra weight. I wonder how it will behave in a towing situation . If you're going to keep Tundra long term , I'd reinvest in an ARB , or possibly look to swap in a Toyota LSD that came in many Tundras, or leave the diffs open . Just my $.02... Good luck .

bikerjosh

Explorer
Been a long time since I updated this thread. Summer, bought a Montero to build, etc.
Added a scan gauge, tablet mount, full set of skid row plates, Stubbs HD-SKO sliders, DIY bed organizer for upcoming DV fall trip, (needed secure 10 gallons of fuel, high lift, 2nd spare, sand ladders, etc)
pics later

skids_zps93e1ca94.jpg

Last edited:

bikerjosh

Explorer
more pics

SGII & tablet mount
001_zps3114d774.jpg

Stubbs sliders
003_zps4fd039c0.jpg

Bed organizer, tough to see but hi-lift & sand ladders are mounted behind two can carrier
004_zps8886d142.jpg

bikerjosh

Explorer
Great looking build, I also have the Scangauge II and I've been very happy with it. I'm not sure if you've looked up XGauge codes yet but here's the trans display code.

http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge/toyota-specific/

Yep, I have it; or at least that is the one I'm using but the trans never seems to get as hot as my 4runner. Not sure if it just runs that much cooler, pretty sure I'm reading the trans temp though because if I'm going uphill I can turn off the over drive and the temp comes down.
Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk