billboards hauler: homebuilt fiberlgass composite popup for flatbed tundra

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
wave 3 is mounted on a swing panel; out of the way closed and opens to face the room and meet the clearance requirements. it can also be lifted off and removed easily if camping in warm temps
A very well thought out and executed idea on the heater and a designed sure to be copied.
Your whole build is outstanding

bphang10

Observer
fitting a wave heater with advised clearances in a small truck camper is tough! this was the best fit for me, and while most of my traveling is done in warm weather, when you need heat it sure is nice to have. has also served well while working on the inside of camper in freezing temps.

bphang10

Observer
we had a little warm up after xmas so i tackled moving the camper out from under the shed to prepare for the 1s test load!
i built a frame and used 5" caster wheels on the corners. mounted some jacks and lifted enough to remove the wooden frame that i had built on and slide under some plywood and osb as a track to roll it out. i had about a 5"drop from the gravel to the grass, but with many short rolls, lift, adjust the dolly, roll some more, i finally got it out.
photo_2_3.JPG

bphang10

Observer
1st test load

i have to say i never look forward to jacking these things so high in the air to load. i went super slow and easy at the start until i felt a bit more comfortable. i was expecting some noises from flexing the first time, but none. it felt very solid going up. i built my jack mounts out of frp plate and angle. the rear is epoxied and thru bolted in place and the jacks bolt onto the flange. on the front, there are holes going through the frp and the wall of the camper where i have plates holding fixed locknuts in place. then, i use a wide frp bracket to attach the jack to the camper. the reason for this was that i wanted to keep the profile as narrow and clean as i could at the front....mostly for visibility and clearance. i plan to not drive with jacks in place.
photo_2_2_2.JPG
yes, there was a big smile on my face all day. a very big moment for me. regardless of how much planning and figuring and making allowances....there was still some anxiety leading up to this. fit was good. tight to maneuver the truck the last 12" into the corner brackets, but i knew it would be. also, you can fine adjust get a near perfect center in the manner in which you lower the camper. i lower it to within an inch of the bed, and then drop the jack in whichever direction the camper needs to go..ie, if you want it to come a bit to the left front corner, drop that jack first while "pulling" on that corner the jack itself. more photos soon but here's a teaser.
photo_2_2.JPG

sanjuanworm

i think i live 5 minutes from you.
i saw your rig the other day from the road before you spun it around.....the color of the door stood out.
this is a sweet build... if you need any help with anything get in touch...pm here

i kinda have a really similar flatbed camper thing going on....currently building a folding rear deck.
744.jpg
734.jpg

Last edited:

eblau

Adventurer
Camper looks awesome! I was thinking of mounting my wave 3 on a hinged panel in the same manner on my Grandby.

erigre

Looking forward to south and warm... See ya'll got the "vortex".

Camper is a work of art, of course... Expected no less! :wings:

bphang10

Observer
thanks guys! still a ways to go but no doubt i will be in it soon.

Dying to see it on the truck.....let's do this!
Also, and idea on weight?

djmase: more photos in a minute. i'm not ready to put a number on the weight yet, hope to get it to some scales in the next few weeks. i did, however, have a very positive impression when i loaded it. when i set it on the flatbed, i had 20psi in my airbags and it dropped a couple inches. pumped 80psi in the bags and it came back to normal, rear end a bit higher than front. also, only had 32psi in the tires, and normally run near 60 loaded (load range d tires). as i did not yet have a tie down system in place, i took it pretty easy on a test drive down the driveway and through the field. the "feel" was like night and day from what my old camper(1150 ish? on the manufacturer's plate) felt like. did not feel sluggish, no roll side to side through potholes or small bank. not much of a test but a good sign i think.

i think i live 5 minutes from you.
i saw your rig the other day from the road before you spun it around.....the color of the door stood out.
this is a sweet build... if you need any help with anything get in touch...pm here

i kinda have a really similar flatbed camper thing going on....currently building a folding rear deck.
Click image for larger version. Name: 744.jpg Views: 3 Size: 53.2 KB ID: 264428
Click image for larger version. Name: 734.jpg Views: 3 Size: 72.1 KB ID: 264433
sanjuanworm: oh man, sure coulda used your help when rolling that thing out of the shed! had visions of it getting away from me. yep, i'm in valle crucis half way to the river. i noticed a few people slowing down and watching last week when i was turning around. feel free to stop by (when it gets a few degrees warmer!) and i'd like to check out your setup also.

I was thinking of mounting my wave 3 on a hinged panel in the same manner on my Grandby.

eblau: i would suggest a piano hinge. i used an aluminum one, about 10", and it is very sturdy. i also have a bolt that lines up with a hole in the cabinet wall and use a wingnut to lock it in place when closed for travel.

Last edited:

bphang10

Observer
a few photos

hatch on the front right is for battery access. i'm using a single lifeline gpl 31xt 125ah battery.
IMG_2738.jpg

propane, water, and shorepower are on the left side.
IMG_2737.jpg

i have 2" min clearance over the cab.
IMG_2736.jpg

view of the roof. i still have some aluminum trim i need to put on roof sides to overlap the aluminum trim on the side to help keep out water and dust when closed.
IMG_2729.jpg

the shiny flat aluminum plate hanging down at the rear is actually the tailgate. when i take the jacks off, it will open up to horizontal, extending the bed and supporting the camper, and protruding out the back a couple inches to act as a bumper. i have some plates that bolt on the side to hold it firmly in place. will show some photos when i get to that point.
photo_2.JPG

Loving that taller entry door. We North Cackilacyians is smart and crafty. You sir should start your own business, wow nice build!

Last edited:

eblau

Adventurer
This might be stating the obvious here but since you have those linear style roof lifters is there a need at all for latches to hold the roof down or do the lifters hold it tight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk