BJ74 TD Build Thread - Stoffregen Motorsports

Update.

The truck is mostly done and I have moved on to other projects. The truck is now up at 4x4 Labs to get bumpers. Luke has designs that are really very cool and difficult to make without the right tooling, so it made sense to have him do the job. While it's there, Luke is using it as a design mule for a 70 series front bumper and it should come home with front and rear bumpers. The front bumper will likely be removed and returned to Luke, and something more simple installed. But first, some media time. We will be taking the truck up to the Rubicon for a short trip and photo shoot with my friend Harry at the end of the month.

I have put about 100 miles on it so far and it is nice. The suspension is plush without being squishy and the body roll in turns is minimal. How will it be off-road? We'll find out shortly.

The brakes need some work though. Since it's a diesel and had an alternator driven vacuum pump, and since we increased the size of the brake booster, we need to add a larger vacuum canister. The brakes do work great now, but with a few applications of the brakes, the small canister runs out of juice.

One of the simplest, cheapest mods, something I am always amazed at, is gear oil. The trans was filled with Redline MT90, which is specially formulated for brass synchro transmissions. Within the first few miles, I could already feel that the trans shifted more smoothly with quicker shifting possible. I love that stuff and I use it in all my Toyota manual transmissions.

Should have pics shortly.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Yea I have ran the MT90 in my old Pinzguers 5spd trans. It loved it! Great oil but real expensive.

Cheers

Westy

Adventurer
Update.

One of the simplest, cheapest mods, something I am always amazed at, is gear oil. The trans was filled with Redline MT90, which is specially formulated for brass synchro transmissions. Within the first few miles, I could already feel that the trans shifted more smoothly with quicker shifting possible. I love that stuff and I use it in all my Toyota manual transmissions.

Redline MT90 revitalizes those transmissions. I've used it before on a couple old Toyota 5 speeds and it was incredible the difference. Worth the cost - of course!

That's great to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I had a customer a couple years ago that insisted his transmission needed to be rebuild, I felt it didn't, but I kept my thoughts to myself. I took the front and rear cases off and inspected it and it looked brand new, so... I put it back together and installed it with MT90. I didn't tell the customer that I did not rebuild it (nor did I charge him for a rebuild), and he wondered why the bill was so cheap, but he loved the difference in shifting.

rickashay

Explorer
Any chance we can get a couple teaser pics of the BJ74 once it's got the bumpers on it? In an effort to conclude this amazing build of course!

Already logged into the Jeep thread. Always anticipating your next effort.

Clintnz

Observer
Looks nice! I especially like the exposed winch position - so many aftermarket bumpers conceal the winch in a box which makes it impossible to see an impending cable snarl-up & difficult to clear a tangle if it happens.

Looks like some aux rear blinkers might be needed though, It's hard to fit a swing-away & a big tyre in the right place on the back of a 70 without obscuring the lights somehow. Mine blocked the tail/brake so I fitted a few LEDs under the bar.

Cheers
Clint

Thanks, it is nice and purdy. I like them when they're all painted up and clean.

You're right about the turn signals. Maybe I can hole saw a window in the corners of the bumper.

Got the LC back from 4x4 labs yesterday. The bumpers look nice.

It's up on the lift getting some minor tweaks today (sliders, rear coil spacers, etc) and then this afternoon it goes on a trailer again. Headed up to the Rubicon tomorrow to meet up with some friends for a test run. Ultimate Adventure and Rubithon are happening this week so it's going to be busy!

I took the LC on it's first trail run yesterday. The Ultimate Adventure guys were headed this way so I met them up at the Rubicon for a quick run in to see how things worked. Their rigs were all pretty cool, including a '73 Hilux on 40's and Verne Simons' Jeep pickup that I fell in love with. The Rubithon was also just getting started and I was able to jump in ahead of 30 other various Toyotas.

The truck worked flawlessly. Although there is still some work to be done, the only item I had to complain about was the rear fenders, tire contact was persistent. Eventually they will be cut.

Here are some pics. Enjoy.

avlfj40

Love the build. Can you post up some detailed pics of the try?Luke is building the bumper for my 40 very soon I might want to add that feature in the future

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3