Block heaters? Battery warmers? Oil pan heaters?

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Curious about information regarding the effectiveness of engine heating devices on vehicles operating in sub-0F temps for months at a time; usually in the -20F to -40F range. I need to outfit my rig with some sort of heater and in the process of researching the best option. I've read the various opinions online and have talked to a few locals as well, but wanted some advice from the members here who have experience living and working in these extremes. Thanks...

Joe917

Explorer
Block heaters are standard equipment here in Ottawa Canada. I only ever plug in below -20 deg C. Often you can only plug in at home. below -40 deg C they are essential. Pre heating will definitely reduce engine wear, having said that engine wear is not usually the factor that determines vehicle life up here, that is salt corrosion. As for Diesel all bets are off. My MB917 will start down to freezing with a lot of smoke(no glow plugs), so to get her going in the cold I pre-heat the coolant with the Webasto. In a pinch I have used a propane cooker under the oil pan but you better have a fire extinguisher handy!

riccasey

I use my factory installed block heater every day - at home and at work - when it gets to -5C and below, which is usually for 3+ months of the year here in Thunder Bay. I think it helps reduce engine wear on my gas powered F150, although I have no proof of that and it may very well be in my own mind only. What I do know is that it feels good to have heat in the cab two blocks from home instead of a cold ride all the way to work with no block heater.
As to battery blankets, I've had trucks with them installed and more than once they have helped get me through a winter with an older battery.
The most creative block heater users around here will leave an extension cord coiled and hung over the drivers side mirror all winter long - makes for easy deployment and when its -40C (-40F) and blowing you don't mess around outside.

ytadvexp

A recirculating style block heater coupled with an oil pan heater is best. I have used this system on my personal vehicles as well as semi-truks. I only need to have my heaters on for 1.5- 2 hrs even at -40. If u do decide to run them all nite, u will start ur vehicle and b at operating temp.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I live in the Yukon, regularly see temps past -40 C/F.

You need, at a minimum, all three heaters.

Get a block heater, a battery blanket and an oil pan heater. If you have a big vehicle with a large oil pan, get two oil pan heaters.

The standard rule of thumb up here is to leave it plugged in for an hour for every 5 degrees C past -25C.

i.e.
-25C leave it plugged in for an hour, then start and drive.
-30C 2 hours, then start and drive
-35C 3 hours
-40C 4 hours

Past -40C your vehicle will start and run, but you have to ask yourself if you really want it to. Even synthetic oil is like butter at that temp, so the damage you're doing to your engine is immense.

If you know it's going to be below about -30C for a while, block your radiator with a huge piece of cardboard or a tarp, otherwise your engine will never get up to temperature.

Also, drive very slowly for the first 5 minutes and don't turn your wheels to sharp angles.
Remember you don't have a heater on your trans or diff.. take it easy and let them warm up, drive very smoothly.

Have fun!

-Dan

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
A big thanks to all of you! I live on the Kenai Peninsula where the opinion is split on whether you need a heater given our usual winter temps. Regardless, I'll be heading into the Interior and Arctic this winter for several months to conduct research for a project I'm working on. After hearing from you guys, I believe I'll invest in all three devices and play it safe. Thanks again...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I don't use a plug-in heater, but I do keep a battery maintainer on the Fuso in the winter months.

For starting I have a diesel fuel preheater (in the sump of the water separator) and the exhaust brake functions in a "warm up" mode.

Also, a feature of my remote start system allows me to set it to automatically start the truck every 3 hours and run it for 15 minutes or whatever. I haven't had cause to use it, but it is an interesting option.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I'm in the Ottawa area. I very rarely bother with the block heater... -25ºC or lower overnight is when I start thinking about it. Above that... Meh.

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
"so to get her going in the cold I pre-heat the coolant with the Webasto. In a pinch I have used a propane cooker under the oil pan but you better have a fire extinguisher handy!"

All the solutions except these require access to 110v - is that correct?

My Webasto TSL17 heats my Fuso block from 0F to 75F in about 30 minutes. This is measured before & after with a infrared thermometer pointing it at the oil pan or block. Can't say how it would handle -20F though...I have a pump and heat exchanger plumbed inline the cab heater hose with a valve that diverts the Webasto flow from the cabin to the heat exchanger for cold weather starts. Moe

Joe917

Explorer
Do not use cardboard to block your rad. Cardboard deteriorates and gets stuck in the rad fins reducing heat dissipation in summer.
For diesel fuel I have found a fuel anti gel works fine.

almac

I usually plug in my block heater on my delica when below 0c the night before work, but on my days off I don't bother unless I'm planning on going somewhere the next day.
I don't really HAVE to plug it in at 0c, but it really eases the cold starts and is better for the engine.
I plug it in every day when it dips to -10c or below.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Of the choices you name, the block heater is the best of them. Combine the use with synthetic motor oil and you'll be good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk