Bluehash's slow build thread - 2013 JKUR

mikeJKUR

Adventurer
My Treds came in last week from Sierra Expeditions. Shipped free @ $150. I was also looking at the Maxxas from Amazon($120) or Maxtrax($300, which was not within my budget).
Even if the Treds give away, I do plan to have a winch and some backup planks, so it works out for me. The Treds do have a lifetime warranty. It is a little inconvenient, but if I see anything wrong with them(cracks etc), I'll be asking for a new set in advance. Will not be using them as bridging ladders.

zlX9hFol.jpg

Now to figure how to mount them.

I keep looking at those but I can't think of a scenario in my past where they would have been useful.

bluehash

Adventurer
I keep looking at those but I can't think of a scenario in my past where they would have been useful.

It comes in handy in sand(beaches) or a way to get you out if you get stuck in mud/snow. I'm in the northeast and it will come in handy in winter. Also sometimes quicker than spooling a winch in certain circumstances + peace of mind.

bluehash

Adventurer

I've gone on a few solo trips. Don't have a winch mounted yet. These have already come to my rescue once. Used my buddy's last winter in the snow and liked how versatile they were. Maxtrax were a little high on my budget, so I got these. As I said earlier, these certainly give me a piece of mind.

bluehash

Adventurer
I was looking at toolboxes and found one made by Ridgid, released last October. The Ridgid Pro Organizer Toolbox

I realized that these can be good storage boxes too - to go on my Gobi rack or inside. Low profile, inexpensive, just the right size so that I do not overpack. There is a rubber seal on the inside which will hopefully keep water and dust out. It is stackable with bigger boxes in the same family. It also has locking tabs if I place it on the roof.

This would be perfect for storing recovery equipment, straps misc.. I have to see if my coleman stove fits.

Some pictures. Here is a nice review.

D95Oc14l.jpg

Rt7G3Pgl.jpg

jUkZtx2l.jpg

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
Did you pull out the liner under the lid of the storage box? If so, did you just pry it out? Thanks.

bluehash

Adventurer
Yesterday I made an attachment for filling two tires at the same time - also balances my pressure. I use the 12V puma compressor. Took ~60 seconds to get my pressure from 18 to 35 PSI. I made it with quick disconnects on tires as well as at the cross terminal.
There is a ball valve with a quick disconnect at the cross terminal. This way I can release pressure from the tires and then connect the compressor when ready.

6K9gDBtl.jpg

Ab285Okl.jpg

DSy3wIkl.jpg

All the fittings sit nicely in an ammo box.
DqRgygjl.jpg

My next project is to make the compressor sit over the fender well, using the hard top screw holes. I have to have the seat down for this.
ItPmjoYl.jpg

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Very cool idea on the air fill setup. :beer:
Impressed with the air up time as well. That is really quick.
As a comparison, I was about 42 seconds per tire to go from 20psi to 36psi with the MV50 on the same tires.
Looking forward to seeing how you mount it all up.

bluehash

Adventurer
I'm no fabricator, so I'm looking forward to suggestions. I'm quite handy :roost:. I test fitted the puma compressor under the roll bar on the passenger side. I cannot put this on the drivers side as the compressor head will hit the roll bar. The seat has to be down!

I used some wooden blocks and a thin steel plate to prop the compressor up. The pressure regulator knob almost hits the roll bar, but it is workable, not an issue.
The good thing is that the soft top bars do not interfere with the compressor. Note that I'll always be having the soft top closed up when out adventuring... but this is for people who were worried about it.

I'd like to keep the compressor in one piece. I know alot of people divorce the tank and the compressor. Having it in one piece allows me to take it out when not needed and use it off the jeep if needed.

What do you think about this location? Note that the compressor head gets hot.. so I have to be careful about that.

Some images:

urw3QbQh.jpg

OzzoBvSh.jpg

O1Itzqfh.jpg

4sgLloyh.jpg

ItPmjoYh.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I like your start! :beer:

Have you seen the Springtail side racks?
http://store.springtailsolutions.com/JK-Unlimited-Passeneger-Side-Rack-Special-Deal-_p_59.html
It is the same height as your mounting plate, and has 4 threaded holes in the middle of the top plate. Would be an easy "multi-use platform to start with. Very solid once all bolted in place.
DEI makes some awesome heat shield material, and fab'ing up a heat shield to go beside the head, wouldn't be tough with some sheet metal.

You could swap the feet for some vibration isolators, like this:
http://www.zoro.com/value-brand-vibration-isolator-165-lb-max-38-16-2npd5/i/G3043485/?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA

bluehash

Adventurer
Thanks!
I have seen the springtail. I'll have to take measurements to see if I can mount the compressor with the seat up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC