Bluehash's slow build thread - 2013 JKUR

Precison Powder

Good question. It is not :(
However it is not going anywhere. When the door is closed, it sits firmly in place. No rattles. I only have to make sure to move it when I take the doors off.
I'm thinking of placing a quickfist to secure it.

I would recommend something like this to mount it. It keeps it in an easy to access place but out of the way. I built the whole mount in maybe 20 minutes it was pretty simple although now it is powder coated black. I bolted straight through the plastic mount and through the whole bar.

10305507_10152851258454879_3384401512018526639_n.jpg

bluehash

Adventurer
Thanks for taking the time to post the pic.
Looks like a little bit of fab. A point to note though.,...I have a soft top and getting to it at that location might be too late. If it were a hardtop, I say this is a nice setup.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Nice work! Love the color. If they'd have kept it for '14 hands down would have been my favorite.
I was looking at the same idea to mount a couple of fire extinguishers. Tried a 2.5lbs rechargeable on the passenger and driver's side.
Think a simple aluminum plate with a couple of holes drilled will work on both sides.
I'm going to try it this weekend and will post up. If it works it will be a very simple.
I have the dual top option, so the roll bar is out for me as well.

bluehash

Adventurer
Home made DIY Limb Risers. Came to a total of around $30 with spare parts and home depot. The wires are vinyl coated steel wires for $0.35 a foot.
If you notice I made brackets that went under my soft top. I used it a lot at the Vermont Overland Rally. It was fall and there were alot of overhanging limbs. It worked great.

oNv6z4Kl.jpg

pWk8Xjql.jpg

AhVIKrll.jpg

I now have the Gobi Rack. Made two retaining loops to hook the risers into. Easy on and off.
JkRZUHml.jpg

Last edited:

bluehash

Adventurer
I have been thinking on that rack. How it the noise and flutter with the soft top?

Don't have my jeep today, but if you are getting the gobi rack, get the wind deflector. It took me a few weeks to get the position just right so that noise would be minimal. The instructions from Gobi to align the deflector did not work for me. It was very noisy. You just have to play with it to get it right.

As for soft top flutter.... it flutters against the bottom of the rack which drove me crazy. So I cut a pool noodle into pieces and zip tied it at certain places to keep the top nice and taunt. I'll post pics when I get the Jeep.

bluehash

Adventurer
Here are some pics. Note that I pull the rack up sometimes to let the fabric stretch at those points so that it does not get permanently marked with the pool noodle pressing on it.

E5TAtG0l.jpg

GMVL9dXl.jpg

K21ijX2l.jpg

bluehash

Adventurer
Thanks! This was in Maine.

Klaus.. Do you mean you don't like the tubes running from the bottom of the frame to the top of the jeep? I only have the soft top, the rack allows me to go topless as it pivots.
Congrats on your new jeep. Has it come yet?

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Nice Jeep! I have my fire extinguisher in the same spot, only drivers side. I wanted to mount it to the seat frame but it's too fat for the door to close. The extinguisher is secure with the door shut.

bluehash

Adventurer
My Treds came in last week from Sierra Expeditions. Shipped free @ $150. I was also looking at the Maxxas from Amazon($120) or Maxtrax($300, which was not within my budget).
Even if the Treds give away, I do plan to have a winch and some backup planks, so it works out for me. The Treds do have a lifetime warranty. It is a little inconvenient, but if I see anything wrong with them(cracks etc), I'll be asking for a new set in advance. Will not be using them as bridging ladders.

zlX9hFol.jpg

Now to figure how to mount them.

Last edited:

bluehash

Adventurer
Added total of 5 gallons of gas capability. I went for the small cans since they are to get up/down the roof rack.
I also tested a cargobuckle for easy ratcheting and no messing around with straps.

zD0Kqlwl.jpg

16xNdyjl.jpg

8URg8zkl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC